Mindblowing way to analyze the first 6 Star Wars films

"How George Lucas used an ancient technique called “ring composition” to reach a level of storytelling sophistication in his six-part saga that is unprecedented in cinema history."

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/

Very much worth the read, surely the best analysis of the movies I ever recall reading. Blew my mind on several occasions. Enjoy!

George Lucas said it himself that he intended to make the prequels mirror the originals. However he's more of a businessman than a director which is why the original trilogy far exceeds the prequels in quality of storytelling. Like all movies, the prequels were a unified effort of many people with different ideas all coming together to make a coherent story. This is in contrast with the prequel story which is just Lucas' vision of how the story should be. To understand how much help Star Wars got from sources other than Lucas you should check out the Dune series (or more particularly Jodorowsky's Dune) and the original draft of the story called "The Star Wars".

I find it fascinating how these long arching stories evolve over time and how the audience has an active hand in it too. Like for instance how Jar Jar was supposed to mirror Yoda's role in the prequels, an idea that what was scraped because of all the hate the character got.

I don't mind the idea that he had a great idea for writing it all, but the execution was rather flawed. It is interesting to see how increasing singular control of the films decreased their quality on successive iterations, whether or not he had a great idea for their structure.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.