Non-Christian Ancient History?

bschu

Hi, I am new to the board and this topic of Atheism and Religion is a biggy for me, you'll probably be seeing me :)

Right now, if you could possibly help me with this history problem, I feel distraught. I am wondering if you have leads towards non-Christian (not to say anti-christian), factual, ancient history sources? E.g. books, documentaries, articles, etc. And I will explain why I am asking this weird question.

I found the full Epic of Gilgamesh on youtube, I think it is an audio book (hopefully being provided legally). And I listen to it while working. For those who don't know, as I didn't know previously, Gilgamesh is given credit of being the oldest known "story" or "work of literature", going back 3000 years. It is fascinating!

In Gilgamesh you hear stories that seem so oddly similar to biblical stories, such as a god instructing a man to build a "bark" before a great flood and fill it with beasts. Later, a god inscribed words into stone for the same man! Of course these trends are common in ancient stories, but I always like to find the originals whenever possible.

I am fascinated by this and want to continue in this vein but not sure where to start. Searching "ancient history" on the net always places you ... drum roll please... at the old testament! Even when looking for videos on Mesopotamia in youtube, the videos seem to start off with "wait until you see how this effects the bible!" which is kinda sickening in itself.

Can I get an ancient history lesson with just the history?

Currently looking for recommendations of stories like Gilgamesh, ancient literature (pre-Christ and non-christian), or good non-bias reading on Mesopotamia and like Western histories.

I hope I don't seem pretentious. I am aware I should probably be searching Amazon for books and not Google or YouTube, but, how can I know in advance that the book or video I purchase is without these biases? So I thought I might ask here.

Do you have advice of preferred documentary producers, authors, etc on this topic?

Any advice appreciated. Otherwise I am also new to ancient history, just picking it up as a hobby of interest, and if you have any advice or tips of good ancient stories I am all ears. I think I want to focus on ancient literature and/or folk or myth stories because I think they tell a lot about the people of the time.

Well, Greek history is always a popular choice. If you want an ancient text, you could start with Herodotus. It's a very fun book to read; it has a great mix of history, sociology, and mythology. Very accessible, too; you can just jump right in. It even has bible-like tales, such as the story of Zalmoxis. There's a lot of editions out there, but if you're buying a physical copy then I would suggest you order The Landmark Herodotus. That edition features a lot of helpful maps, illustrations, and a lengthy appendix.

If you find that you really like Greek history, you can continue straight into Thucydides, and then into Xenophon's Hellenica. The style of those two texts is a lot different from Herodotus, but they follow chronologically and continue the historical narrative. Again, you might want to go with The Landmark Thucydides and The Landmark Xenophon's Hellenica. However, the old translations themselves are all available for free.

There's a whole lot more to read, but those books should keep you busy for a long time.

Well, Greek history is always a popular choice. If you want an ancient text, you could start with Herodotus. It's a very fun book to read; it has a great mix of history, sociology, and mythology. Very accessible, too; you can just jump right in. It even has bible-like tales, such as the story of Zalmoxis. There's a lot of editions out there, but if you're buying a physical copy then I would suggest you order The Landmark Herodotus. That edition features a lot of helpful maps, illustrations, and a lengthy appendix.

If you find that you really like Greek history, you can continue straight into Thucydides, and then into Xenophon's Hellenica. The style of those two texts is a lot different from Herodotus, but they follow chronologically and continue the historical narrative. Again, you might want to go with The Landmark Thucydides and The Landmark Xenophon's Hellenica. However, the old translations themselves are all available for free.

There's a whole lot more to read, but those books should keep you busy for a long time.

Excellent answer! Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently looking for recommendations of stories like Gilgamesh, ancient literature (pre-Christ and non-christian), or good non-bias reading on Mesopotamia and like Western histories.

bschu,

I must admit that I can't recommend this first hand, as I haven't read it yet. But I'm currently in a similar head-space to you in that I'm looking into Sumerian historical records and I thought what the hell, it may be of some interest.

There is a book which comes highly recommended by Gerald Clark(find him on youtube, too. Annunaki radio has some very decent interviews with him and James someone or other, the host). The title of the book, which Clark recommends, is 'Myths from Mesopotamia: Creation, The Flood, Gilgamesh, and Others' by Stephanie Dalley.

It is high on my list of 'books to read'.

I'm assuming you have heard of the work of Zecharia Sitchen, who's writing is pretty well-known.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.