McDonald's as oasis for people who are jobless

AccuTron

First, the word jobless vs homeless.  A woman I know who had ended up shopping cart living after trying very hard to find work, insisted she was jobless, not homeless.  I understand her proper insistence of seeing the initial condition, not the result.  Any thoughts on that word usage?

This surely varies by neighborhood:  McDonald's is known as a haven, an oasis, for people who are jobless and homeless.  It's essentially a shelter, with a minimum bit of cash flow for use, probably with far better security than many actual (underfunded) shelters.

Today the weather was good, and when I dropped into my local McD for coffee, I could see a solitary possibly jobless woman trying to talk about fries to two uninterested fellows with laptops, her only audience.  I don't think she really cared about fries.

I walked over to tell her she probably would like to be listened to, and after a few minutes of her surprisingly optimistic truisms, pleased to be listened to, she thanked me for stopping by.  Can't get that kind of human interest story in a whole range of other restaurants, or not easily, is my guess.

I guess other fast food places fill the same function, I really don't know.  McD, when in this role, almost seems like it could have been written in as a necessary social element of a 1930's foreboding future sci-fi story that came true.  

Your thoughts or experiences?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it.  It's that calorie density which brings me into McD in the first place.  On a bicycle, it's good inexpensive fuel for a stretch, and light in the belly.  Nutritionally, given the rest of my diet, I'm fine with that.  (No side orders or fountain drinks.)  In my car, between errands and real food a bit in the future, it keeps me going.  I realize now that it's that caloric density which has crossed my path with quite a number of local jobless.  (In that 1930's fiction that I suggested above, that would be a plot point.)

Not-selective distribution of sympathy is a bad idea.  There is a tremendous capacity most rotten people have to play the victim.

There is a global recession in conjunction with debt retraction, and a stated plan to decrease the population.  You can expect many more homeless and they will always have a sob story.  Just envision them as Stefan's mother.  That is, without a history of demonstrated moral action, avoid giving out sympathy to such a person.

--

High calorie food will kill you over time, especially fast food.  Cheap now, expensive later.

Oh yeah, BIG agreement on first paragraph.  Fast food like many things is dose related -- minimal in this case, next level down would be "none"; no fries or sides, no drinks, and not often with the big mac.  Virtually all manufactured food has become unpalatable and repugnant to me, feeling revolted with one bite.  Anymore, I rarely buy anything not real food, other than the occasional Big Mac.  I can tell with body fat right away, if I do otherwise.  Someone said never buy food that comes in a box, and I find truth in that.  I'll buy the occasional treat from the snack aisle, and then wish I hadn't.  This isn't about being high holy, it's about it makes me sick.

McDonalds is another example of what happens to a corporation embracing diversity rather than profits. They went from the greatest American restaurant chain - where kids used to beg their parents to go, to losing market share and becoming a warehouse for the "jobless."

The turning point: http://www.mcdonalds.com/365black/en/home.html

The results: (warning) physical violence

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch!  At first I thought it was real graffiti and thought "Oh well, lampshades are easy to replace."  Then I read what it really is.  Bad idea.  The rest of the place in the picture looks nice, like that might be a good thing to subconsciously enforce.  It seems it would either encourage defacing the rest of the place, or seem a cheap stunt, an insult, to the locals.

With respect to the unsung heroes of good decor and public relations, looks like a cannon got loose in somebody's PR department.  I'm reminded of many years ago, 5" floppy disk era (another ouch), when I was a small advertiser in an industrial magazine.  We'd get monthly letter size mailings from the advertising/PR dept.  One time, upon opening the letter, a spoonful of sparkling glitter fell out all over the table, probably to mark some enthusiastic event.  Of course, cursing and cleaning up was the reality, and anyone with a floppy disc on the desk suddenly had glitter on it.  The next month's letter was an apology.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.