Is this the right place for career advice?

Atrising

I'm exhausted of my job, there's no career path in my company for me, and though it's not been announced it's widely believed that our office will be shut down at the end of the year. It's lead to me feeling very frustrated and pent up at my current occupation, and has affected my performance.

I'm looking to find new work, and have been since September. However I haven't had an offer yet, and I think I know why. My job title is Project Manager, but I don't do what most people think of as PM. I mostly do a customer service/Help desk kind of job.

The thing is, I think I can try to get a new job by getting some industry qualifications for being a Project Manager. But, that's potentially throwing money away after a career that I may not be good at, and could potentially hate as much as my current job.

But, the only alternatives I can think of are to stick out my current job and just keep applying for things, or quit my job and go job hunting full time. I don't want to get fired from my job, but I'm kind of at the point where I think I can't take it any more. I have about 6 months worth of money in the bank.

Really I want something where I work with people, and I don't stare at a lit screen for 8 hours a day.

Pleeeeassee help!

I recall Stef did some podcasts way back about getting a job so it may be worth doing a search.

At what stage are you finding the problem occurs? Not much out there, no replies to your applications, interviews that go badly, or everything seems good but still no offer?

What has worked for me is to use personal networks rather than the traditional route of responding to ads, applying to recruitment consultants etc. Discreetly mention to any ex colleagues, customers or suppliers and let them know you are available. Also put your CV/resume in front of people you know who hire and get them to give you honest feedback. Avoid reading 'How to write the perfect CV' books written by (generally clueless) academics. That just means your CV looks identical to everybody else's and goes straight in the bin.

Whenever I worry about getting a job I find it helps to remember some of the utter imbeciles I have worked with in the past and keep in mind that even they must have got through the interview process eventually.

At what stage are you finding the problem occurs? Not much out there, no replies to your applications, interviews that go badly, or everything seems good but still no offer?

Mostly I'm just not getting replies. But when I do get interviews I get this really frustrating response of people telling me they like me, and that I'd be a good fit for the company, but not the specific role. It's difficult because it doesn't really give me a clear course of action. 

I realized how much google is my friend. 

Yeah I'm trying to bone up with online material. It's hard to tell how successful it is without the feedback you get from a class room. And to tell whether paying for industry certifications is worth it. Have you found that kind of thing to be useful yourself?

Thanks for your responses!

I may be wrong but you sound like you aren't sure what you would like to do.  If you have run into the problem of not enjoying what you do at the moment but you do enjoy the general field of study you have already acquired a degree in, then perhaps you could look into what type of related work would be enjoyable for you.  You already mentioned you like working with people but not staring at a screen all day.  So, I'd ask you if there is a job in computing (and whatever your specific study in that field was) that can fit that bill.  If not, how close can you get to that?  

My IT and Computer Science friends (I'm so bad with computers that I have racked up a number of IT friends from previous jobs due to how often they had to come hang out with me to fix my computer, ha!) have said how helpful it is to get certifications when it comes to getting hired and getting more meaningful work.  I can connect you with them if you want to ask any questions.  They do telephony and internet, programming, and another started his own company working from home remotely fixing people's computers when they get a virus or can't figure something out. From my ignorant perspective, the possibilities seem endless in computer science if one figures out what the best fit is and then follows the path from there.

Anyway, you have my sympathy.  Working a job you hate is a misery I hope never to experience again.  The fastest way out is to mobilize (as you are doing) and not delay on figuring out how you can do it.

The fastest way out is to mobilize (as you are doing) and not delay on figuring out how you can do it.

You're definitely right about that! And, about me not know what I wanted to do. I think I was kind of over reacting at first due to frustration with my current job. I thought it would be a good idea to start training myself on a few things at home that I can put on my CV. Easy to do with computing I think. 

I also found some charity work that seems to cover a lot of what I wanted in terms of working with people. It's temporary, and low paying, but it would give me a place to go if I decide to leave my current job, while looking for other work. 

Thanks for the offer of connecting me with your friends, I don't think I need it right now, but it was a generous offer. 

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.