goal based ethics

afterzir

Couple of criticisms.

1)That which is axiomatic = what is logical. The claim in the video that logic is non-axiomatic is backwards.

An axiom =/= a "basic assumption" as the author claims. An axiom is a proposition that is fundamental to understanding AND impervious to critique.

2) Figuring out how to do what you want to do is not philosophy. It's amoralism. Philosophy is about virtue.

3) Just because humans have goals as a result of their intrinsic nature does not mean they should achieve them. That is a naturalistic fallacy. Trying to get an ought from an is. A valid proof for objective morality does not commit the naturalistic fallacy. For example, one can prove "truth is virtuous" without committing a naturalistic fallacy (in fact the very idea of calling things fallacies is based on the fact that reality is non-contradictory and that one ought to adhere to reality. Otherwise calling such and such a "fallacy" would have no meaning)

Where does my world domination goal fit in with this system? If you inhibit my world domination goal is that unethical?

Domination, by definition, prevents others from achieving their goals

(the video doesn't say this, which is why I tweaked it above)

(if you say that interfering with others goals is unethical, then it works out)

initiating violence interferes with goals...unless it doesn't.

How does it not?

(the only exception I can think of is masochism, but even then your goal is to experience violence) 

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask if what I was doing is ethical. I asked if it's ethical to stop me from achieving my goals. What if my goal is to run a successful restaurant and you open a competitive business across the street? If your goal is to be more successful than me with your new restaurant do I have to close mine? I'm trying to show that going by goals is not a sound foundation for ethics, unless you can make a good case to the counter and correct me. Goals are constantly at odds and can remain and be so without violence (and with violence too of course).

Why did you choose goal based ethics and do you really believe it to be a sound and well formed approach? Exploring new ideas is all well and good, but giving a nascent idea an excessive claim of credulity will just fast track people towards ignoring you instead of helping you to develop your idea(s). I agree with the first response in that I didn't click on the link either for probably similar or the same reasons as them.

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask if what I was doing is ethical. I asked if it's ethical to stop me from achieving my goals. What if my goal is to run a successful restaurant and you open a competitive business across the street? If your goal is to be more successful than me with your new restaurant do I have to close mine? I'm trying to show that going by goals is not a sound foundation for ethics, unless you can make a good case to the counter and correct me. Goals are constantly at odds and can remain and be so without violence (and with violence too of course).

Why did you choose goal based ethics and do you really believe it to be a sound and well formed approach? Exploring new ideas is all well and good, but giving a nascent idea an excessive claim of credulity will just fast track people towards ignoring you instead of helping you to develop your idea(s). I agree with the first response in that I didn't click on the link either for probably similar or the same reasons as them.

I need to think about this.

My first thought is that that example with the restaurant sounds more like difficulty than interference.

Example: if two men (A & B) are in love with the same woman, then there is a "natural rivalry".

A is making it difficult for B but isn't interfering with B (if A tied B up with a rope, then he would be interfering). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.