Fake vs. Genuine Curiosity in Relationships [video]

Darius

I finished a new video on fake versus real curiosity in relationships, where I talk about about the differences between real and false curiosity in relationships, how "curiosity" can be used as a tool of manipulation, and possible problems related to it.

• Upvote 2

This is a very interesting video; thank you for sharing, Darius!

When it comes to determining "Fake" vs. "Genuine" curiosity, how does one determine which is at play mid-conversation?

I understand the idea behind feigned curiosity is the implication <What you are doing is wrong, and I do not want you to feel / behave this way> followed by the question "Why do you feel this way?".

This serves to provoke self-doubt or insecurity in the target of manipulative curiosity, if I understand correctly.

However, if in conversation the other party simply doesn't understand why one is feeling or behaving a certain manner, and genuinely seeks to understand, the same words would be used by a person with no intention to manipulate whatsoever: "Why do you feel this way?".

How can one decipher between the two? This would be incredibly easy with someone whom one knows well, but seemingly difficult with a stranger. I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.