What are some of your favorite novels?

bulgakov

I don't read much fiction anymore, but here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

In the Name of the Rose by Eco

The Call of the Wild by London

Watership Down by Adams

Lord of the Flies by Golding

Dune by Herbert

Blood Meridian by McCarthy

Robinson Crusoe by Defoe

Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut

Bullfinch's Mythology

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams

*Anything* written by George Orwell

*Anything* by William Faulkner

*Anything* by Ayn Rand

*Anything* by Joseph Conrad

*Anything* by Ernest Hemingway

I don't read much fiction anymore, but here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

In the Name of the Rose by Eco

The Call of the Wild by London

Watership Down by Adams

Lord of the Flies by Golding

Dune by Herbert

Blood Meridian by McCarthy

Robinson Crusoe by Defoe

Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut

Bullfinch's Mythology

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams

*Anything* written by George Orwell

*Anything* by William Faulkner

*Anything* by Ayn Rand

*Anything* by Joseph Conrad

*Anything* by Ernest Hemingway

Thanks much!  I've heard about Blood Meridian so I will give it a shot.

Blood Meridian is very well written and features a most terrifying villain.  

There's Satan...and then there's Judge Holden, who is a fitting figuration for the crimes of The State (and apparently based on a real person also named Judge Holden).  

I remember I had to read the ending four or five times.

What are some of your favorites, bulgakov, and others?

My favourite fantasy  books include:

- Wheel of Time. Three farmer boys fight evil. You follow their ways from teenagers to me with all the problems they have. WoT relies on Dune with the way magic works (women do most of it, men are persecuted). It shows a large world with heroes you can identify with. Great storytelling.

- Malazan Book of the Fallen. Perhaps the best series I read so far. It avoids any tropes of the fantasy genre and plays with them joyfully. There is for instance a barbarian introduced who at first behaves the way they are supposed. As the story goes on you discover more and more nuances about him. The storytelling is unique. There is a backstory that we can only glimpse and the series itself is vast and open ended. You can have your own personal Odyssey while reading it. The way you see the world and literature changes with every book you read. 

- The Stormlight Archives. A modern day classic though most of the books are yet unwritten. Sanderson shows a complex society and how it works. More action driven than Malazan and also you can find more traditional elements.

- Roadside picnic. The Strugazki brothers set a high standard for science fiction. Roadside picnic shows the aftermath of a visitation by Aliens.

- The Futurological Congress. Lem shows us a picture of the future that is likely and depressing. At the same time you have to laugh pretty hard about the ineptitude of the tyrannical government shown there. Also serves as an intro to other works by Lem.

- Anything by PK Dick, except the Ubik trilogy which is unreadable.

- The Glass Bees. Jünger imagines a world where automisation has made enourmos progress. Unless the Zeitgeist crowd he warns of dangers.

The Glass Bead Game. Hesse integrates psychology with Sci Fi. The structure of the book is unique. In the end you will have a pleasant surprise.

Here are a couple of novels which greatly influenced me (some of these were already mentioned in the thread, but I think they're worth repeating):

Konrad - Heart of Darkness, Nostromo

Marquez - The Autumn of the Patriarch

Kafka - The Trial, Metamorphosis

Hesse - Steppenwolf, Glasperlenspiel, Siddharta

Solzhenitsyn - Cancer Ward, One Day in the Life of Ivan D

Don de Lillo - Cosmopolis

Waltari - The Etruscan, The Egyptian

Per Olov Enquist - The Visit of the King's Physician, Captain Nemo's Library

The creator of this thread already knows the following author:

Bulgakov - Master and Margarita   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.