Together without conflict?

efioptv

Today I got approached by a group of people who speaks my native language. They are from a local Christian group and asks me to join them. Mostly, they only talk about gathering together and have fun. I've joined another group that is from my school, while I still have contact with them, I'm rarely going to their gatherings. What I'm thinking is, if I don't really believe in what they believe, then joining them would make me deceptive which is something I don't want to.

Should I tell this group that I don't really believe what they believe in? This is most likely the best way to present myself to the "outside world" since Im alone most of the time...

I play basketball at a local LDS church and seasonal softball sponsored by a Lutheran church.  Each activity begins with an invocation and often the conversation turns religious and I don't have an issue with that. Folks talk about common interests and since I don't share their interests when I'm there those topics aren't frequent and are brief.  Haven't yet experienced any awkwardness or bad relations. I've been going fairly regular for about five years.  I let them know up front my beliefs and that I'm open to new information but at those activities I'm there for fun, not theology. They know I return the same respect I'm given. 

So my advice is go for it. Tell them up front your expectations and walk away if they don't respect you. 

• Upvote 5

I agree with csekavec.  Let them know you are there to have fun and to be able to talk in your native tongue but you not really interested in the religion.  Most likely the majority of them are there for the same reason.  If it does turn out they just want to convert you then walk away.

• Upvote 1

It may take some courage - and of course the choice is yours - but I suggest in this case honesty is best. If the only way to make them like you is to deceive them then it doesn't sound like they will bring you much happiness.

still need to talk to them more to see how it goes. Thanks

I play basketball at a local LDS church and seasonal softball sponsored by a Lutheran church.  Each activity begins with an invocation and often the conversation turns religious and I don't have an issue with that. Folks talk about common interests and since I don't share their interests when I'm there those topics aren't frequent and are brief.  Haven't yet experienced any awkwardness or bad relations. I've been going fairly regular for about five years.  I let them know up front my beliefs and that I'm open to new information but at those activities I'm there for fun, not theology. They know I return the same respect I'm given. 

So my advice is go for it. Tell them up front your expectations and walk away if they don't respect you. 

Thanks for the advice. I always think it is rude to say it until now that I really think about it. If they are not interest in interacting with someone who don't believe in god, then it would be a waste of time for both of us.

I agree with csekavec.  Let them know you are there to have fun and to be able to talk in your native tongue but you not really interested in the religion.  Most likely the majority of them are there for the same reason.  If it does turn out they just want to convert you then walk away.

As for the one that I'm already in, they seem pretty even asked me for help on flyers since they know I'm graphic design major. Guess telling them the truth will determine if they do really respect me.

As a Mormon (LDS) my attitude is that if you want to come have fun that's fine with me. I say the more the merrier. Sports activities is a time for us to have fun, if we talk about religion its only because we are from the same church not because we are trying to recruit anyone. We like to have fun activities just for fun with people (as long as they respect our values and don't swear or be crude.... nobody gets offended). Just go and have fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.