The Misunderstanding of Ayn Rand

jpahmad

I really enjoy your videos and commentary, especially the one about the complex pyramid structure of the modern political system.  Is there some reason you chose not to do graphics on your latest vid, aside from the time requirement?  Anyway just wanted to give my positive feedback.

Thanks for posting the video. I fear most people don't want to understand what she is saying but I think you did a good job of explaining it.

If the criticism about her work being "50 years old and depicting a world that never existed" is valid then we'd all better start burning any Shakespeare we may have - that's even older!

I really enjoy your videos and commentary, especially the one about the complex pyramid structure of the modern political system.  Is there some reason you chose not to do graphics on your latest vid, aside from the time requirement?  Anyway just wanted to give my positive feedback.

Graphics take for ever for me.  I thought I'd switch it up and try something different.  Especially with the shorter videos.  If there is a concept that I really want to clearly get across, then I'll use graphics.  Thanks for the feedback though. I really appreciate your response!

Thanks for posting the video. I fear most people don't want to understand what she is saying but I think you did a good job of explaining it.

If the criticism about her work being "50 years old and depicting a world that never existed" is valid then we'd all better start burning any Shakespeare we may have - that's even older!

Yeah, so, I suppose we right off all literature that is over 50 years old.  

Good break down.   And that last part about responsibility was great comedy, both unintentionally (Ayn Rand's expression) and you pointing it out.  One of Ayn Rand's points could be summarized as, "One cannot take care of others if one cannot take care of him/her-self."   Which, is essentially what responsibility is all about. (i.e. Ability to respond.)

The clips from the TV show remind me of something similar we have in the UK: a show called Question Time where, just occasionally, there is someone intelligent and thoughtful on the panel. Without fail they are shouted down by the baying mob and abused and interrupted by the presenter and other panel members. This qualifies as "good TV" and boosts the ratings.

Rand's tactic of giving intelligent answers to idiotic questions didn't seem to work too well, indeed it seems almost impossible to communicate complex ideas to a mass audience amid the deluge of personal abuse. Fifty years of people screaming "selfish!" at you for even possessing one of her books has had its effect.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.