FDR 3220: Call-in show

ThinkSkeptic

I enjoyed the show, but I have a critique about what Stef said at roughly 2:25:40. The caller said he believed in determinism and Stef said "I don't talk to robots." He was ridiculing the fact that determinism implies that events occur in a predetermined way.

First, I'm disappointed that he would suspend his integrity (by being cheeky and short) when faced with the subject of determinism -- it leads me to believe that he is emotionally opposed to it. Second, I've heard other conversations he's had with callers and I don't think they've done determinism justice or they have been too nervous and inexperienced in debating to properly push back. 

Thoughts? 

Being disappointed is not an argument.

Stefan has debated determinism on the show 746534853 times - and if you want to call in to be 746534854 then email me and we'll get you on the schedule.

Yeah, it was just off-putting to hear him dismiss the idea without an argument because he's normally patient enough to have some back and forth before bringing the hammer down.

I'll email you. Thanks. 

Wasn't the call well over an hour long as it was?

It was, but the topic of the call was evolution, and determinism wasn't brought up until the very end. He should've said something like "ok, I need to move on to the next caller..." instead of ridiculing him. 

• Downvote 1

It was, but the topic of the call was evolution, and determinism wasn't brought up until the very end. He should've said something like "ok, I need to move on to the next caller..." instead of ridiculing him. 

Determinism is off-topic for the forums because the comments are pretty predictable.

• Upvote 4

yes personally as a fan and donator I'd just like to say I am so completely tired and bored of the determinism argument and would rather not hear more of it.  anyone interested can just type it into the search bar and hear hours of arguments and content on the subject.  in fact, ThinkSkeptic, I would strongly recommend that you do this before calling in, if you do.  I might be interested however, if they take a slightly different angle, specifically, why they believe in determinism, possible origins in their childhood, why they put so much time into arguing it, and what impact determinism has on their life, and what a society which accepted determinism might look like.  Just my two cents.

Why? If determinism is true then Stef had no control over what he said. So the only rational way anyone should get offended is if determinism is false. 

Anyway that caller was belligerently stupid long before that point. Suddenly declaring he doesn't believe either of them have free will is the final insult. I thought Stef's response was correct. Personally I'd have told him to "fuck off". 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.