Cuelty to Crabs in a dumpster

Black Anarchist

I work for work for Local Authority Waste Operations.  Today, I was listening to a conversation about an issue with a restaurant in Wimbledon who put live crabs into the dumpster, there probably was from 5-10 of the critters in there. The front line staff as a result would not empty the dumpster plus the fact that the dumpster is overweight and to heavy to pick up. The restaurant owner response to the live crab issue is to crush them with a with a digger (or some other heavy duty vehicle, I can’t remember).      The office staff was not impressed, I tell thee! they really felt for those crabs in the dumpster. One or two of them mentioned the RSPCA Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I personally, didn’t give it much thought, those crabs had it coming.

What do you guys think about this whole crab based situation.

Not hard to do the right thing, also there seems to be some kind of sick glee in sharing your disregard of animals with other people. Isn't it a sign of sociopathy to hurt animals? Clearly it's different than someone who likes to cut down trees, we all inherently know that other living creatures deserve more respect than they are awarded in our society, which makes it so funny that here on a philosophy forum we find people making jokes about killing animals.

Not hard to do the right thing, also there seems to be some kind of sick glee in sharing your disregard of animals with other people. Isn't it a sign of sociopathy to hurt animals?

Can’t tell you if I am at the wrong side of sociopathy or not. If I was I probably would not want anyone to know that. The majority of average folk are probably not, less so in my office, but would happy to dine on crab and other sea critters.  In the office, I did not show any remorse for those crabs who did not have the fortune to end up boiled in a pot alive.  

It is a little hard for me to show concern for the suffering of a group, while at the same time contributing to their suffering. Seem like the way most people handle this is to not think about it, and to not hunt out any info regarding what happens to animals. To show true concern is to take action, a little more action then most folk are willing to do. ​

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.