What would have value if society collapsed?

AncapFTW

I was thinking about the fallout universe and how some things in it have a high value but have a low value now, like bottled water.  Then I started wondering how that would change if there was a different type of apocalypse.

So my question is, if you knew that tomorrow the government would collapse and that massive numbers of people who depended on it would be lost without them providing there form of "order", what would you spend your money on?  I realize that the type of apocalypse would change the answer, so for the purposes of this discussion, lets say a super-powerful solar flare creates an EMP that burns out every active electronic device on the planet, save the few who could handle a voltage serve, like some transformers, generators, old style electronics like vacuum tubes, and similar.  That means no internet, no newer cars (they have a computer in them that's on any time the battery isn't dead), and little electricity, as large power plants couldn't run without computers to control them.

Value is subjective and constantly shifting based on the sums of supply and demand. In order to predict such things, as person would have to know the desires of everybody else as well as their accumulated capability of satisfying that desire.

If all electronics were 'burned out', including all storage devices, I wonder what would happen to all the electronic currency wished up, (created out of nothing), by the banks.

And maybe cash would suddenly become 1000 times more valuable or something.

Value is subjective and constantly shifting based on the sums of supply and demand. In order to predict such things, as person would have to know the desires of everybody else as well as their accumulated capability of satisfying that desire.

So you don't think you can predict what will be in high demand or short supply in such a situation?

I was thinking about the fallout universe and how some things in it have a high value but have a low value now, like bottled water.  Then I started wondering how that would change if there was a different type of apocalypse.

So my question is, if you knew that tomorrow the government would collapse and that massive numbers of people who depended on it would be lost without them providing there form of "order", what would you spend your money on?  I realize that the type of apocalypse would change the answer, so for the purposes of this discussion, lets say a super-powerful solar flare creates an EMP that burns out every active electronic device on the planet, save the few who could handle a voltage serve, like some transformers, generators, old style electronics like vacuum tubes, and similar.  That means no internet, no newer cars (they have a computer in them that's on any time the battery isn't dead), and little electricity, as large power plants couldn't run without computers to control them.

Bottled water would be in high demand yes, but people can make it themselves so it will not be that expensive. People who can not purify their own water will probably also not have tons of money to give you for bottled water either. 

If you want to survive on your own with no help from society for decades.. Water, food, medicinal supplies.

If you want to survive rioting and looting for a period before the market returns.. Silver, Gold, Bullets, Guns, Oil, solar panels, generators. Currency would be mere gambling since it's based upon the whims of politicians, which would be very erratic during such a time. The previous items will never lose value. (albeit solar panels degrade, keep them inside. keep your guns and bullets in a 0% humidity environment, IE pressure tight metal containers with desiccant)

SEEDS. Every kind. Thousands. Agriculture books. BOOKS. EVERY BOOK ON PRACTICAL SITUATIONS YOU CAN FIND! Manuals for carpentry, welding, car repair, specific manuals for most common cars, etc. It's really limitless on the knowledge front. 

That's about it for -sure- value afaik.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.