That escalated quickly

rosencrantz

Is this referring to the AI beating the current human champion?

Yeah, it's a spoof on the AI game. 

Also, are you a good player of renju/gomoku?

I liked playing that a lot. However, it has been found that there is a winning strategy for black.

I read that the AI played on its own. In the last few years we began to rely heavily on neuronal networks in areas that require a lot of computation, say the computation of mechanical parts or the development of new drugs. The problem there is that we can't comprehend the reason why the neuronal network chose one approach over another. We only see the result but the network does not give any reason why it preferred A over B. The reason why the AI won seems to be, that it used both decision trees and learning. It could take moves into account that could be bad, but in reality give you an advantage. A human player does not take those into accout so we are at an disadvantage.

I liked playing that a lot. However, it has been found that there is a winning strategy for black.

Gomoku is solved for black on 13x13 or larger board, the winning strategy is called SW (sure win) and it never fails if you know all the variations, which are now that few trust me...

By convention, good players do not SW one another, SW is only possible I believe if and only if black's second move is to place his second stone near his first one. Good players make their second move always in the 3x3 area that encapsulates the first stone but does not actually connect with it.

Renju is the professional version of Gomoku, it has several restrictions for black which are believed to equal out the parties....I don't really like renju that much because it feels like you are playing a totally different game as black...

By convention, good players do not SW one another, SW is only possible I believe if and only if black's second move is to place his second stone near his first one. Good players make their second move always in the 3x3 area that encapsulates the first stone but does not actually connect with it.

I played it like crazy when I was 14 to 15. Good to know it's still around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.