Fertility and Offspring Quality

How does fertility affect offspring quality?

But I'm unsure if there's a varying degree of quality depending on the women's fertility or if it simply means that fertility lowers the chances of miscarriage and birth defects.

Here's what I think I know:

1.There is a standard quality of offspring with no problems that is not difficult to achieve.

2. Besides the offspring having no problems, there isn't any better quality.

I researched a few times and have found ambiguous mentions that fertility affect offspring quality. But I'm unsure if there's a varying degree of quality depending on the women's fertility or if it simply means that fertility lowers the chances of miscarriage and birth defects.

Your first premise is wrong

1.There is a standard quality of offspring with no problems that is not difficult to achieve.

For most of the time, human reproduction rate was a bit above 2. Child mortality was high, miscarriages were common, and many mothers died during childbirth. You were lucky when you made it from an embry to reproduction age. Only with the advent of modern medicine has mortality rate for embryos and mothers dropped significantly, not to speak of childhood diseases. With 2,1 kids making it to adulthood, standard quality cannot be related to fertility. Fertility was rather a way to survive at all.

The better a man and woman eat, the more symmetrical (meaning healthy and attractive) a child will be. I wonder if there is a reason I was craving the hell out of leafy greens while pregnant with my twins. I asked a physician about it who said he wasn't sure but that it made sense since I was literally "building babies" and that process requires nutrients as human manufacturing building blocks. It's an additional good reason for men and women to eat as well as they are able. This article talks about the role of men and women and their lifestyle on a developing fetus and a child's health risks:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/29/parents-lifestyle-children-health.aspx

I wonder, if Epigenetics were widely known, would people become more likely to make healthier lifestyle choices?  :mellow:

The better a man and woman eat, the more symmetrical (meaning healthy and attractive) a child will be. I wonder if there is a reason I was craving the hell out of leafy greens while pregnant with my twins. I asked a physician about it who said he wasn't sure but that it made sense since I was literally "building babies" and that process requires nutrients as human manufacturing building blocks. It's an additional good reason for men and women to eat as well as they are able. This article talks about the role of men and women and their lifestyle on a developing fetus and a child's health risks:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/29/parents-lifestyle-children-health.aspx

Your first premise is wrong

For most of the time, human reproduction rate was a bit above 2. Child mortality was high, miscarriages were common, and many mothers died during childbirth. You were lucky when you made it from an embry to reproduction age. Only with the advent of modern medicine has mortality rate for embryos and mothers dropped significantly, not to speak of childhood diseases. With 2,1 kids making it to adulthood, standard quality cannot be related to fertility. Fertility was rather a way to survive at all.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=standard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=CdEcV8iiNIPn-AHQ_JTwBg#q=standard+definition

Besides having no defects, are there higher standards of quality of offspring that can be achieved by fertility alone?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.