Prince: another brick towards total drug legalisation?

Donnadogsoth

"Doctor D also said the drugs he supplied transformed Prince's personality.

"'He didn't have much of a personality off the stage to be honest. Like a lot of these stars he needed the drugs to get the personality.

"'He'd go from boring, mellow, nothing special and suddenly be transformed into this amazing performer once he had the drugs.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555292/Prince-s-former-drug-dealer-reveals-extent-addiction.html

How many people are going to start their career as a drug addict secure in the knowledge that it worked for Prince, all that creativity and ebullience and stamina?

The brick holding drug legalization is the state being able to charge fines, lock people up and make money.

That article you listed doesnt even have sources 

Yes, it's a rumour.  Who knows how the rumour will pan out in days to come.

But celebrities "getting away with" using illegal drugs serve as drug-using role models for millions.

I wonder what it says about western societies, that they have consistently worshipped drug addicts when it comes to their music and stage performance for over 5 decades.

Its an interesting point. I find that musicians who use drugs make more interesting music than those that dont ( in general). I often find that listening to music on drugs is a more interesting experience than listening to music clean. I find that playing music on drugs is a more intense, creative experience than playing clean. 

Although the drugs I am talking about are psychotropic rather than speed/cocaine type drugs, so maybe thats the difference. I was never that into princes music. 

So what is going on? Why does music written on drugs seem richer, more emotional, and more connected, than music that wasnt?

So what is going on? Why does music written on drugs seem richer, more emotional, and more connected, than music that wasnt?

Perhaps the artists lose their inhibition and are more willing to share their experience? Also, the connection between drugs and music isn't that new. There were numerous opiate addicts among the classical composers (Berlioz and Chopin), various alcoholics (Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart), Wagner smoked a lot of week because of his 'migraine', and finally some bipolar people (Liszt, Bruckner, Smetana). Nietzsche provides a good distinction between Apollonian analytic culture and Dionysian ecstatic forms of expression. Music belong predominantly to the latter, it's not a big surprise that artists and composers use supplements to get into that state.

Its an interesting point. I find that musicians who use drugs make more interesting music than those that dont ( in general). I often find that listening to music on drugs is a more interesting experience than listening to music clean. I find that playing music on drugs is a more intense, creative experience than playing clean. 

Although the drugs I am talking about are psychotropic rather than speed/cocaine type drugs, so maybe thats the difference. I was never that into princes music. 

Do not psychedelics imitate psychosis, where more connections are made and meanings are tapped?  It would create resonances in art products that otherwise come across as a little sterile (hence, clean).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.