Do Feminists Really Hate Masculinity?

• 3 months later...

Most feminists couldn't define masculinity or femininity.

Another thought that occurred to me, is that feminists are okay with masculinity in the form of the State as long as it serves their interests.

I never thought of it like that. Every feminist I have ran into is a normal woman who doesn't realize how bizarre that ideology has gotten and thinks its the more common sense view of "treat me with respect".    Sometimes I have a hard time believing there are women that think I am cruel, sexist, and oppressive just cause I am male. Then I look at the media :sad:  I want a world where rationality in gender relations takes center stage.

• Upvote 1

I never thought of it like that. Every feminist I have ran into is a normal woman who doesn't realize how bizarre that ideology has gotten and thinks its the more common sense view of "treat me with respect".    Sometimes I have a hard time believing there are women that think I am cruel, sexist, and oppressive just cause I am male. Then I look at the media :sad:  I want a world where rationality in gender relations takes center stage.

Well it's good to know you don't spend time around people who hate you.  But yes, I know what you mean.  In general, it seems like there are a small number of "radicals" with different ideologies or causes, and a great deal of passion, but most of the population will just go along to get along: they like to think of themselves as moral and reasonable, but also don't want to stir the pot too much.  Radicals capitalize on this by taking on the mantle of "feminism" as defined by a belief and movement striving for equality between the sexes.  Who could be against that?  Similarly, Black Lives Matter: don't you think that black lives matter?!?!?!  But when you dig deeper, you find a common thread: a hatred of the dominant culture, of capitalism, of the nuclear family, of classical liberalism, commitment to identity politics and State privileges for certain groups, Marxist analysis of everything, etc.                          

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/terrorist-attack-muslims-mentally-ill-japan-france-germany-men-its-toxic-masculinity-a7158156.html

Mass male violence is everywhere right now. First it was Orlando. Then Nice. And Bavaria. Munich. Kabul. Fort Myers. Sagamihara.

As each massacre is reported, ministers and media leap to unpick each individual attacker’s motivations. Immediately, the snap judgments come out: if they were brown, they were a terrorist. If not, they were mentally ill.

Further probing exposes then their beliefs and contradictions: the Orlando murderer Omar Mateen worked as an armed guard for security firm G4S for nine years; the Sagamihara murderer worked at the care home he targeted but apparently believed disabled people should be euthanised. 

• 3 weeks later...

The feminists that I know personally are less focused on the hatred for masculinity and more focused on controlling the behaviors and desires of men. The feminists that I personally know want men to actively take interest in their hobbies and preferences, while always agreeing with their views. They want men to find them attractive on their terms. It is by nature, quite sexist.

I haven't found every feminist I have come across to be like that. Plenty are capable of empathy and even compassion for men, but it's always on a case by case basis. The issue is - and it's like a telemarketer with a set patter certain premises are taken as gospel and any deviation is met with the same set of responses.

There is one sphere of feminism I have a lot of time for, and that is feminist literary criticism. Although essentially what that seems to mean in practice is merely an examination of literary texts from a female perspective, although it will attract a lot of extremists also. I just happen to find examining literature from as many perspectives as possible quite illuminating.

I recall I was in a creative writing retreat at this beautiful mansion, and I'd been assigned to an all female group. We were assigned the task of creating a fictional man, and one of the girls straight off the bat squared up to me personally and said she didn't see why we should have to write a man. I could see value in writing a female as being a man I'd need that skill, so without missing a step I said I was happy to, and had no objections. She then sat down awkwardly as if expecting an argument, and we got on with the task. I was alert to the possibility that she hadn't taken to me for some reason and just put foward my ideas as eloquently and diplomatically as I could.

However something even odder happened as we went on the more the women and the initial one specifically started referring to me more and more. Now in these sorts of situations I like to collaborate with equals rather than lead things. I can lead if pressed, but it's not in my automatic comfort zone. I'm happy to follow as well when I'm in the presence of someone that knows what they are doing.

I have just noticed a lot of women, even feminists sometimes can fall into a pattern of deferring to men for some bizarre reason, and then when they are frustrated with the end result blame the man for their 'male privilege' rather than work on their own assertiveness.

Avail I've come across women such as you describe but they rarely date men for long who actually behave in that manner. Usually they are friendzoned. Such behaviour has always baffled me, as on the rare occasions women have fallen for me when I have no reciprocated it, as much as I may like them as people it struck me as being quite cruel to become too close a friend.

I've coming to the end of a casual study of feminism and I must admit I find contemporary feminism baffling int the extreme. To the point where I am not sure I could even give an accurate definition. It's about equality between the sexes, except when it's not. It's about women's agency and Liberty except when a woman makes a wrong choice then on its internalised mysogyny or being a handmaiden towards patriarchy.

I could see feminism being a genuine force for good when it starts to examine what it means to be a woman (which I see shades of in feminist literary critique). Promotes self-knowledge amongst women, and it short stops telling women what to do all the time. In short modern women are not taught to be themselves (after figuring out who that may be) and make their mark in the world, they are told they have to be everything at once (mothers, hot shot career women, to simultaneously support the sisterhood and be assertive but not rock the boat), and frankly if I had been raised in an environment with that sort of pressure, without being afforded the space and encouraged to self actualise I would be confused, mentally all over the place, exhausted, frustrated and probably quite unhappy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.