The Truth About Homework

NotDarkYet

I would LOVE to hear Stef and Michael take on this topic!

Why? 

1. Homework is not only not helpful to children under high school age, but actively destructive to their learning (http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/news/the-homework-debate-the-case-against-homework/)

2. It destroys happiness at home.  Both the child's happiness, and by extension, the parents.

3.  It pollutes the child's appreciation of learning.

4.  8 hours of school is more than enough.  When school is over, it's time to LEARN OTHER THINGS, to have fun, to play, to live.

5.  It's disproportionally difficult for single parent households.  A single parent home is less equipped to help the child deal with homework/projects.

6.  It's disproportionally difficult for boys.

7.  It's almost always maddening busy work.

8.  Personal opinion:  It's child abuse.

9.  This is a movement that could have an effect.  People could start fighting back at the local level, and giving children their home lives hours back.

• Upvote 4

Good points, but it is sort of complaining that the torpedos of the mafia are being too rough with people.

And even if it had success, it will probably just turn into the same later. Removing violent Islam from Sweden wont remove violent Islam from the world.

But don't listen to my partypooping, you or anyone doing something will have effect either way.

Removing violent Islam from Sweden wont remove violent Islam from the world.

That's a really annoying comment to me.  It's like saying "just because you don't invite rapists into your home doesn't mean you're ending all rape everywhere".  It's no one's responsibility to "remove violent Islam from the world".  It is a responsibility, the argument could be made, to preserve inherited freedoms and safety for future generations.

Donald Trump says he wants to localize education. We'll see how much progress he makes on that, but if it were so then I think local activism probably would engender more diversity and experimentation in distribution of homework; at least we would see some dismantling of the central narrative we have now that homework is this absolutely necessary component of 'education.' According to the data I've heard about, there are no positive benefits to homework.

That seems to me like another comical (and frightening) hypocrisy of the left and its worship of centralized education.

Diversity is good! That is why we teach everyone all the same things, in all the same ways, at all the same times!

Donald Trump says he wants to localize education. We'll see how much progress he makes on that, but if it were so then I think local activism probably would engender more diversity and experimentation in distribution of homework; at least we would see some dismantling of the central narrative we have now that homework is this absolutely necessary component of 'education.' According to the data I've heard about, there are no positive benefits to homework.

That seems to me like another comical (and frightening) hypocrisy of the left and its worship of centralized education.

Diversity is good! That is why we teach everyone all the same things, in all the same ways, at all the same times!

Our choices:  local, and teach creationism; or federal, and teach global warming.  At least creationism isn't taxable on utility bills.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sick to death of all the homework schools send home. The boy I look after is only 12 and gets anywhere from 2-3 hours of homework a night, all due the next day. Most of it is a huge waste of time. He's in such a rush to get it done in time that he's not actually learning anything from doing it. He's been suffering a lot of stress, anxiety, and depression related to his homework load and there is no time left over to teach him anything that he is actually interested in. 

My sister in middle school repeatedly said that they did not teach how to do the homework in class. Multiple times she had no idea how to complete math homework because some/all of the problems weren't taught prior, yet she was expected to learn the subject and complete the homework by herself in her personal time. I would check the print out sheet notes, and the method to solve the problem was not in the notes.

It caused stress on her since she struggled with math to begin with, and the teacher would not actually teach before forcing her to do the task.

Link?

Funny how something like this -- GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT OF EDUCATION?!?!?! -- which is really only turning the clock back to the mid 70s, and returning a local institution to local political control, is seen as crazy.  A generation after the government takes over something, people can't imagine it any other way.

Link?

Funny how something like this -- GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT OF EDUCATION?!?!?! -- which is really only turning the clock back to the mid 70s, and returning a local institution to local political control, is seen as crazy.  A generation after the government takes over something, people can't imagine it any other way.

I think he also said he wants to get rid of the department of education in more candid moments, but I don't have a source right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.