Character Virtues, 3 Main Ones.

RichardY

I think there are only 3 Main Character Virtues. Humility, Temperance and Diligence?

Humility being the Self-Reflection/Observing Ego required in Self-Knowledge.

Temperance the ability to moderate or restrict more primitive impulses in the presence of society. Making decisions more consciously and less on feeling.

Diligence the willingness and good sense to Act and avoid a "Sh*t Happens Scenario".

Thinking of other virtues such as Kindness and Charity I find that they fit more in as a sub-category of Diligence. Courage, Patience and Chastity into Temperance. Truthfulness(a process) into Humility and Temperance. Integrity as an effect of the 3 main virtues.

• Upvote 2

Temperance the ability to moderate or restrict more primitive impulses in the presence of society. Making decisions more consciously and less on feeling.

Isn't that "forbearance"? I associate "temperance" with shunning alcohol.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that "forbearance"? I associate "temperance" with shunning alcohol.

Forbearance involves tolerance, which could involve refraining from a right to something, "turn the other cheek".

Temperance is more about moderation and managing more basic impulses to act perhaps irrationally such as panic. It can involve trying to refrain or avoid drinking alcohol. A Temperate climate is neither Tropical or Arctic but in between. To be chaste means to refrain completely from things or be "Pure".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.