Climate Change Models

actually compilers have a very difficult time with today's processors because of the complex HW architecture. I have written linkers, loaders, assemblers, and compilers and some of the most challenging aspects are trying to avoid producing code that runs, but due to poor L1/L2 cache coordination the performance is terrible. This gets combined with the fact that today we have fewer and fewer computer scientists and mostly "coders" that have completely lost any insight into the underlying architecture. Typically you can look at the code and see it will invalidate the entire CPU cache about every other loop and you just shake your head. Today it seems graduates are primarily "application integrators" and their teachers seem to preach the same ideology; all that matters is to focus on abstractions, modular re-use, makes those design patterns. Coders just keep grabbing entire packages for a simple function, Boost serializing objects to manage a bit status structure...sigh... oh well...

In many cases there is nothing wrong with such things because, well, it is something that is getting your email. At the large scale application however such things can prove fatal to 1000+core/super computer systems and that is where much of the big science lives.

Software is a good field to get into but make sure to decide what you are looking to do. If you want to do some coding, get a 2yr degree and you will make 50-100k salary without much trouble if you can interview and let people see that you really want to show what you can do for them (you just need to perpetually look for and ride the language peak, maybe Ruby now). If you want to get into computer science (you will be using that 2nd, third, and even forth year math classes hehe) keep going for your masters and decide what specific avenue you want to head down. It is a tougher road and you will find a lot of the post-undergrad spots are filled with "non-citizens" but if its what you want, go for it. Getting your first patent is always fun and feels like you have started to make your mark on moving humanity forward.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, jimofflorida said:

In many cases there is nothing wrong with such things because, well, it is something that is getting your email. At the large scale application however such things can prove fatal to 1000+core/super computer systems and that is where much of the big science lives.

Agreed. I think that processing speed has increased to the point where - for most projects - it is no longer economically efficient to pay any attention to performance unless there is a bottleneck. That's what I was taught to do. And I think that it makes sense actually. Is months of dev time worth unnoticeable performance increases? Most users don't really give a crap about how wonderfully tight our loops are lol

If anything, I think it's going to get much worse as browsers roll out Web Assembly. It is much quicker for web devs to learn C# / C++ basics than for a C# / C++ dev to learn the main web scripting languages AND their frameworks. With that assumption in mind, the "just import a module" mentality will translate to "just include headers and import libs"...

That said, big data will outgrow regular app dev in demand. When that happens, I think there will be a resurgence of good old-fashioned CS

3 hours ago, ofd said:

How is this connected to flux density? 

Nothing. As I said, I was referring to a different link.

The link you are referring to which has the green line shows CO2 at 280K at low altitude and 220K at high altitude (a decrease in temperature). 

2 hours ago, ofd said:

So how do you complain the rise in temperature in some parts of the graph?

Irrelevant what happens at middle altitudes because the gas doesn't stay there. It continues to rise, until it reaches max altitude.

The end result being, that 220K < 280K. Net cooling.

for a bit of fun viewing an actual scientist talks about global warming..even tho mechanical engineer Bill Nye said he spoke for them all, hmmm; FYI I have not fact checked Dr. Moore beyond a few checks such as the green peace comments on him. Their attacks shows that green peace appears not to understand environmental sciences as the things they say are "crazy" are actually correct when you get rid of the "politics" of science... So I am giving him a weak thumbs up in that he actually does seem to know what he is talking about.

;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.