intro to philosophy

wintermute

I would like your suggestions on the best way to become introduced to classical philosophy from a conservative perspective. I have a friend in her late 20s, has just returned from years of disaster relief work in Japan, and is now trying to figure out what to do with the rest of her life. I think philosophy is an essential means of figuring out the question of life, it's purpose and practice. What is the best way for a person to get started studying this? Is it best to dive straight into the Ethics of Aristotle and the Republic of Plato, or are there better options for getting introduced to the principals of this science?

I would like your suggestions on the best way to become introduced to classical philosophy from a conservative perspective.

If it's truly philosophy, reality will bear it out and there would be no "perspective."

I would HIGHLY recommend Stef's Introduction to Philosophy series. It's long and not the best quality. But it starts from first principles and leaves no stone unturned. It literally brought me from a narrative-riddled parrot to a rational free thinker. I can't speak highly of it enough.

6 Pillars of Self Esteem, and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, are two excellent books that discuss living an effective life. They aren't necessarily conservative, but conservatives would love them.

You could try to focus on the successes you've had in your own life, what lessons you've learned from them, and share those insights with her.

People learn a great deal in relationship to people they trust and admire. Even with the two books I mentioned, they are more impactful when conversations are had about the subjects in the books.

What are you excited about in terms of personal development? Whatever it is, you are going to be able to make the most impact there. If you want other people to grow, you have to model growth for them. If you ask others to grow when you stagnate, you will convince nobody.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate all of your feedback very much!

Aristotle

csekavec, could you be more specific? Is it best, in your opinion, to start with something like a lecture series *about* Aristotle, or is it better to start with the works of Aristotle himself? I have read to some of his work myself, and it was somewhat dense, as I remember.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.