Any truckers about the place?

ToniC

Hi,

I am going to start trucking school and am wondering if anyone on the Freedomain Radio forum is a truck driver anywhere, and also in the U.S. and Canada where my operation area will be. I want to ask some seasoned drivers for their best practices advice and suggestions, and find out about how to meet the state regulations requirements since I will be forced to do so.

Thank you,

ToniC

I believe I'm capable in answering your questions since my father is a professional driver and I've worked with him.

Most owner operators don't really follow state regulations completely expect those who work for big companies.

There were many times, where our truck was too heavy or the equipment was too high, we just avoided the scales at night. 

For states like California who require filters built into your truck, truck drivers with older trucks would need to completely rebuilt their motor to install those filters which cost $50,000.

Also, majority of drivers cook their log books since you can't make deadlines in time. They write in their log books that they only drove for 8 hours but it was actually 16 hours. In Europe they require a device to record how many hours you drive, in America they don't and for Canada I'm not sure.

Ah ok! I suspected there would be some fudging load weights and heights, and book-cooking as it were. I am planning to drive for a big company and wouldn't be taking on personally the costs of maintaining the entirely of the truck, so that is a good thing. DO you remember tactics for inclement weather and road conditions that your father used? Thanks for the reply too!

Nearly all major concerns in North America use a Qualcomm or equivalent. Ie, can't spoof your swindle sheets once you start your day. You'll still keep physical logs also.

You'll likely be speed governed. Near the coasts you just won't be getting as many miles per day due to density. Stay in the middle if you can.

Trucks made after about 2012 will have SCR. More to check on your pretrip and don't forget DEF. Watch for DEF freeze when cold.

Don't drive in unsafe conditions. The bonus isn't ever worth it.

Float > clutch.

Unless you are pulling a reefer or sail boat fuel, watch your load balance. Scales keep you safe. 

Always watch your inside back tire during a corner.

Pedestrians are worth 50 points, bicyclists 100 points.  Commercial drivers are the safest drivers on the road. Smaller the car, more insane things you'll see them do. Be defensive.

Taciturn driver is best driver. Especially if part of a team. 

If otr bring at minimum: bed sheets, low sugar food like nuts/seeds/jerky, cooler, thermos, toiletries, insulated and non insulated gloves, a lighter, a mirror, antiseptic wipes, dietary supplements. 

Save your fuel points.

Carefully monitor your physical and mental health. Cannot be emphasized enough: I put it last for significance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.