"Racism" finally explained

jpahmad

A thoughtful analysis of the word and its application and one that ultimately leads to a new enlightened definition of "racism."  It is a shocking revelation, but it is the only definition that will work towards social progress.

• Upvote 2

Why do they feel the need to call things such as bigotry, prejudice, and racially profiling to be racism when none of those things are inherent to racism? Sort of why do they re-define things. 

I find that the problem is the tendency that people like labeling things in the most simplistic manner. Words are used improperly or excessively and end up picking up connotations. Everything is called racism, sexism, misogyny, etc whether they are or not. Racism has picked up the connotation of being negative, and generally evil. I'm not trying to say that the argument is because everything is racist because they disagree with you, therefore you are bad, and thus racist because those each denote each other. I mean that the argument is that their entire use of logic and arguments is based on using words incorrectly because of their connotations. Sort of like making an argument based on a thesaurus and not quite understanding what the words mean. you want to say something, so you look up synonyms for every word in the sentence that you are trying to speak, but if you don't know what the words mean exactly, you will sound like an utter buffoon to a person that does know exactly what those synonyms mean. 

These sort of illogical arguments are illogical simply because they are based on words that they don't understand because of connotations and feelings affiliated with the words that they are using. They aren't making an argument based on what 1 word means and then explaining it plainly without relying on those connotations and feelings. You don't say racism is because racism. You should use different words, but when people don't have the understanding argue, they end up in a loop. You are a racist because you are a bigot because you are prejudiced, because you are a racist because those words sound bad and I don't like the way that they make me feel. What they know is that they don't like it and logical arguments cannot break the cycle unless you take those words away from them. I think that this is true and it doesn't sound like the guy in the video is aware.

anybody lemme know if you understand what i just said. lol

Our mind has two modes of dealing with input. One is instinctive and fast, the other one is deliberative and rational. To say that our mind is built to be rational (around 18:30) leaves out neurological research of the last 20 years by Kahneman et al.

It is certainly not built to be irrational.  We process tons of information everyday.  Obviously much is processed quickly and subconsciously.  But a certain percentage is processed using conscious rational judgment.  Is that percentage, the latter, which moves civilization.  Of course, not everyone uses that faculty to it's fullest capability.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.