What is the male intentional equivalent of "witch"?

By this I do not mean, "warlock" or "wizard" or the like.  I mean a word that has the same negative connotations for men, as "witch" does for women.  A young girl who is acting hysterical can be chastised by calling her a witch.  A manipulative young woman who is political, harbours a resentiment regarding the male sex, and is the opposite of complaisant might be termed a kind of "witch".  "Witchery" seems to be a kind of curdling of the female nature.

What analogous chastisement is there for boys?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Witchery" seems to be a kind of curdling of the female nature.

Based on this statement, I would say bastard. This embodies the negative male archetype, with such traits as vindictive, cruel etc. The male is chraacterised as using brute force, whereas for females the archetype is more passive aggressive and manipulative, hence witch.

By this I do not mean, "warlock" or "wizard" or the like.  I mean a word that has the same negative connotations for men, as "witch" does for women.  A young girl who is acting hysterical can be chastised by calling her a witch.  A manipulative young woman who is political, harbours a resentiment regarding the male sex, and is the opposite of complaisant might be termed a kind of "witch".  "Witchery" seems to be a kind of curdling of the female nature.

What analogous chastisement is there for boys?

"Douche" is the current vogue.

Why do you come to us seeking expertise in name-calling? Name-calling is not an argument, it's a tantrum. It neither persuades people to a point of view nor exemplifies philosophical achievement.

"Douche" is the current vogue.

Why do you come to us seeking expertise in name-calling? Name-calling is not an argument, it's a tantrum. It neither persuades people to a point of view nor exemplifies philosophical achievement.

Defining male vs. female natures, shirgall.  What societies traditionally call wayward members of the respective sexes offers insight into those sexes' natures.

Based on this statement, I would say bastard. This embodies the negative male archetype, with such traits as vindictive, cruel etc. The male is chraacterised as using brute force, whereas for females the archetype is more passive aggressive and manipulative, hence witch.

Also a bastard is by definition illegitimate, and so outside the code of male honour, not true to his word, and envious.

Witches were held responsible for the ills that would befall a community contrary to evidence or argument. The male equilivent for those responsible for the ills befalling communities, contrary to evidence or argument, is a "white-male".

Witches were held responsible for the ills that would befall a community contrary to evidence or argument. The male equilivent for those responsible for the ills befalling communities, contrary to evidence or argument, is a "white-male".

How would you use that in a sentence?  "Shut up, you white male!"?  Wouldn't "Shut up, you racist!" be punchier and more to the point?  "Racism" sort of links up barrel-of-monkeys style with Islamophobia, rainbowphobia, misogyny, colonialism, and everything else anyway, no?

How would you use that in a sentence?  "Shut up, you white male!"?  Wouldn't "Shut up, you racist!" be punchier and more to the point?  "Racism" sort of links up barrel-of-monkeys style with Islamophobia, rainbowphobia, misogyny, colonialism, and everything else anyway, no?

I am without doubt the wrong person to ask about grammar :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to come up with a word for this sort of thing since men don't really talk about this sort of person in their midst.  They avoid it because manipulators manipulate, and simply talking about them accomplishes nothing.

If I had to come up with a term, it would be, "That guy we're going to beat with soap later."

I remember reading asimov and why he thought a word like "witch" existed.

His theory was that youth looks attractive and old doesn't look attractive. Well that's obvious right?

But when men go old they grow a beard, which looks impressive and wizened. There's still a look of strength in that. Women rather just go wrinkly and crotched without this mane of strength and also one of the traditional values about women; beauty; is slowly crotcheting away.

I remember reading asimov and why he thought a word like "witch" existed.

His theory was that youth looks attractive and old doesn't look attractive. Well that's obvious right?

But when men go old they grow a beard, which looks impressive and wizened. There's still a look of strength in that. Women rather just go wrinkly and crotched without this mane of strength and also one of the traditional values about women; beauty; is slowly crotcheting away.

True.  

"Witch" also refers to powerful feminine irrationality, which is naturally fearsome.  It originates with the idea children have about their mothers from an earliest age, wherein they view their mothers as a kind of sorceress, able to produce food and take away waste and comfort fears through magical rituals and incantations.  To the prerational child, this is magic.  And that face of magic, the mother image, stays buried in the mind on into adulthood.  The archetype "witch" refers to this irrational, knowing feminine, often old, often a curdled and malevolent form of femininity because of the individual's fear of infantilisation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.