Microaggressions kill people: Rutgers University

Donnadogsoth

"According to the display, even though microaggressions are “not the same thing as hate crimes or overt bigotry,” they still affect victims “physically, emotionally, [and] behaviorally,” placing them “more at risk for illness & decreased immune system.”"

"The board warns students that failing to follow these guidelines could lead them to commit a microaggression, which include “microassaults,” “microinsults,” and “microinvalidations.”"

Rutgers: to avoid microaggressions, only speak when 'necessary'

The femiblob's blubbery pseudopod wraps a little tighter (microtighter?) around the throats of students in Maryland.  Which students?  Guess who?--white, hetero, male, conservative/alt-right/libertarian, and legal citizens.  Don't offend your new masters (mistresses?) by giving them cancer-by-microaggression!  Kneel before the femiblob!

Ain't the Multicult grand?  And the next step is?.....don't look them in the eye!  Nothing more aggressive aside from speech and touch than eyesight.

• Upvote 1

microinvalidation ‎(plural microinvalidations) A form of microaggression that excludes or negates a person's thoughts or feelings.

A ban on microinsults is not compatible with mandatory validation. ie "I think you are (insult)"

Is that place a comedy club or something?

You really need to put a trigger warning on the title of your post, and not put "Microaggressions" in the subject line. I almost had a micro-panic attack seeing it. Your behavior is not making this board a safe space for me to talk about my privileged white, heteronormative, libertarian, natural-born citizen experiences and how they make me feel.  Please, if you do not take action not to post such triggering words, I will need to have the Board Admins cleanse your posts of the micro-aggressive hate speech.

Also, I find your avatar depicting evolution to be patently offensive to my Judeo-Christian heritage, even though I no longer embrace the religious traditions of my youth. It makes me feel personally violated to see it. You need to take it down so I'm no longer offended by seeing it.

• Upvote 1

what are the effects on your immune system of constantly being called a racist and sexist who unconsciously contributes to and benefits from colonialism and rape culture?

RoseCodex, you know it doesn't hurt to be called a racist or a sexist who unconsciously contributes to and benefits from colonialism and rape culture if it's not true.

what are the effects on your immune system of constantly being called a racist and sexist who unconsciously contributes to and benefits from colonialism and rape culture?

The apparent basis of the lethality of Microaggression seems a simple extension of findings about the connection between stress and life expectancy.

In this, my understanding is that social isolation is especially stressful on the human organism. (eg. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/07/science/stress-and-isolation-tied-to-a-reduced-life-span.html).IfI recall correctly ostracization tends to trigger a very strong stress response.   In the course of human evolution, the presence of an aggravating person is unlikely to be as dangerous as banishment. In our ancestral environments this could be an effective death sentence.  

So Rutgers academics are trying to engineer social conventions where micro-aggression merits a marked escalation of hostility. The trouble is that making this threat known would constitute a micro-aggression.   I have seen the Kafkaesque result of such a dynamic in some upper middle class social circles.  Everybody is very polite, taking pains to ensure everyone feels welcome.  The boundaries of acceptable behavior are visible only by omission.  Those who are socially ungainly or naive can be severely punished exclusion for breaches of decorum. It would aptly characterized as a "closed society".  I would expect the result of such a culture would be constraints on social mobility, increased relative importance of upbringing (ie. family connections) and less tolerance for dissent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.