Parenting like Ragnar and Kay: How to raise an individualist with high self-esteem

Roberto

"Still the best speech on child-raising that's ever been given. Roslyn understands that kids should be treated with the same respect as adults, with freedom honored." Anny Morele - Children Have Rights.

ATLAS SUMMIT 2014 -- How would children be raised in Galt’s Gulch? Most Objectivist parents want to raise their children with as little coercion as possible, but lack the knowledge of how to do so: how to get children to eat vegetables, bathe, study and make safe choices, even as toddlers, without trickery, manipulation, bribery, punishment, or other forms of coercion. Parenting can and should be completely consistent with Objectivist values—there are no contradictions, just faulty premises. Join Roslyn Ross as she examines the most common mistakes Objectivists parents make and how to avoid them.

ABOUT ROSLYN ROSS:
oslyn Ross manages a philosophically sound day camp for children that also teaches parenting skills to adults. Ross also writes, speaks, consults, and produces edutainment on the subject of parenting. Ross graduated from Wesleyan University.

• 3 months later...

In my opinion she is referring to how children would be raised in the conceptual Galt's Gulch.

She closes in her book: "Today, I think of Galt's Gulch as a psychological place. It's the dream, the place where it doesn't get any better. Today, when I picture the parents and children of Galt's Gulch, I picture relationships that are the dream, relationships that are as safe havens of freedom, joy, and respect for both parent and child, relationships in which both parties feel, "It doesn't get better than this."

There's a lot of sugar based negotiation that goes on in our house. Of course no hitting or threats. It's pretty awesome to see our 4 year old get good at "making deals." Even the 1 year old understands "no cookie if you don't eat your dinner". What's the difference again in this and bribing? Is there a better approach? I watched the first 15 minutes and will finish tmrw. 

• 1 month later...

Is an Individualist the most valuable?

Capable? Yes. Independent? Yes. Self Esteem? Absolutely.

Isn't someone dynamic and social more productive? Don't they have the most access to people's labor?

I am referring to a talented leader who can delegate to productive people in a free market or work alone, whichever is most efficient.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.