Emergency Food for Europeans

aviet

Several times in the past I've looked into bulk buying emergency food for surviving possible collapses in the food supply in the future. There is a heroic range or variously priced products available in the US and by proxy Canada, but the offerings in Europe are awful. What you can get in Europe is typically very expensive and when you look at the fine print grossly under-sufficient in terms of calorie. So I have done some research and found you can make international order from this company:

http://www.survivalfood.com/one-year-supplies/

But instead I have plumped for buying three boxes of survival biscuits:

https://evaq8.co.uk/24-Seven-Oceans-Long-Life-Survival-Biscuit-Rations-60-000-calories.html

The reason being is that my main food supply is bulk bought anyway, but can run low. I just want something to make sure I always have a six+ month food supply.

In the UK for bulk buying food I recommend:

http://www.survivalwholefoods.co.uk/<- West Midlands and North Wales only
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/
http://www.premcrest.co.uk/
http://www.justingredients.co.uk/

This is the one I used in the past. 

http://shop.conserva.de/en/

But thank you for the links, I will sure check them all and compare prices next time I am food shopping.

What did you buy from here? In the US you can get 12 month, 2,000 calorie a day, 25-year freeze-dried food for at least $2299. I've seen a 12 month supply for $800, but not sure what the calories are off the top of my head. At a glance this seems to be the same sort of stuff you will find in the UK, where you will be paying about $5,000 for a genuine 12 month supply.

Why not buy stuff you would eat in your normal life (rice, legumes, canned meat, oil, canned veggies, canned fruits), get a 12 month supply and replenish the items once you used them? This seems much more logical than buying stuff that tastes horrible and that's pretty expensive. 

20 kg of Basmati rice is about 30€. A 12 month supply for one person is 120€. Lentils are supercheap. Potatoes are pretty cheap as well, they have all the nutrients you need and when you have a cold, dark place they can be stored for a long time. 

• Upvote 1

Why not buy stuff you would eat in your normal life (rice, legumes, canned meat, oil, canned veggies, canned fruits), get a 12 month supply and replenish the items once you used them? This seems much more logical than buying stuff that tastes horrible and that's pretty expensive. 

20 kg of Basmati rice is about 30€. A 12 month supply for one person is 120€. Lentils are supercheap. Potatoes are pretty cheap as well, they have all the nutrients you need and when you have a cold, dark place they can be stored for a long time. 

I have all that stuff already. I just want some of this multi-year shelf-life stuff as a real emergency backup. As mentioned, my main food supplies have ran down to about 1kg of protein powder, about 12kg of rice, 7 litres of pasta sauce, 7kg of sun-dried tomatoes, 3kg of cacao and a few other small items. Part of the reason I have let it run down is because I don't live in one place. Everything I buy is organic and I've had a few things infested by weevils as a result. That happens after about 12 months in some cases. Other things like pasta sauce don't have a great shelf-life; though I imagine you could be quite liberal with eating after the expiration date.

But I completely agree, this sort of food purchasing is the best idea. I only eat bulk, organic food and spend quite a lot less on food than most people as a result. On top of that I don't loose 1-3 hours a week food shopping.

What did you buy from here? In the US you can get 12 month, 2,000 calorie a day, 25-year freeze-dried food for at least $2299. I've seen a 12 month supply for $800, but not sure what the calories are off the top of my head. At a glance this seems to be the same sort of stuff you will find in the UK, where you will be paying about $5,000 for a genuine 12 month supply.

Oh just a few small items. I did spend loads of time just finding the "preparedness" site that will ship to Norway. Shame.

I would strongly recommend trying to get a hold of some 'Biscuit Brown' from some milsurp place.  The Army discontinued it after the abdominal discomfort became too much for young squaddies to take, especially after the Badge bets him a beasting he can not eat ten of them in one sitting.

I would imagine LDS, or Mormons are world wide, but I am not sure. If there is an LDS presence in your area, check and see if they have their food storage centers. Here in the states on certain days of the week they allow the public to come and purchase food supplies from their centers. They sell 10# (the big ones) cans of 25 year shelf stable items for their cost. It's just the basics like Wheat, Sugar, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Powdered Milk, Ride, Noodles, etc. The way they are packaged they should last indefinitely. 

I would imagine LDS, or Mormons are world wide, but I am not sure. If there is an LDS presence in your area, check and see if they have their food storage centers. Here in the states on certain days of the week they allow the public to come and purchase food supplies from their centers. They sell 10# (the big ones) cans of 25 year shelf stable items for their cost. It's just the basics like Wheat, Sugar, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Powdered Milk, Ride, Noodles, etc. The way they are packaged they should last indefinitely. 

It seems they only do this in the US and maybe Canada. I'm thinking more on buying somewhere in the U.S. and the availability of preparedness and all manner of other goods is a big factor. If Hillary get in though...

Invest in antacids and means to neutralize stomach acid and acid reflux, often when your diets change massively it can trigger a whole range of reactions, one of the worst is acid reflux.  It can be easily treated with a simple, cheap tablet.  As well, iron pills, if you suffer from acid relux a lot as antacids can block the bodies absorbtion of iron, especially womenfolk.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the recommendations!  I'm currently looking to stock up on storable food, however I can't get away from this one problem... i'm looking to get canned meat, however i've heard that practically all canned foods have BPA, which can potentially cause cancer and I dont want to get cancer in the future, and the few BPA free cans ive seen are astronomically expensive like 3 dollars per can...so what would you suggest? Stocking up on canned meat and then in 3 years time chucking it away or giving it to charity and get another 6 month supply for the next 3 years, and only eating it in the situation that we have an armageddon situation? Or do you have other ideas? Stocking up on rice and pasta sounds all well and good until you realise that once water stops running through the taps there's no water left to boil your rice and pasta so that's all pretty pointless....Should I just stock up on nuts and raisins then?

1 hour ago, Crusader1986 said:

Stocking up on rice and pasta sounds all well and good until you realise that once water stops running through the taps there's no water left to boil your rice and pasta so that's all pretty pointless....

If there's no sufficient amount and adequately mineralised/quality/temperature water... you're toast.

Fun facts (approx, for a 70Kg human, NOT engaged in physical activity, in a low-ish metabolic state)

° ~600ml water OUT in urine

° ~400ml water OUT through the skin

° ~200ml water OUT when breathing

° + loss of minerals, vitamins... etc.

therefore,

° approx. a MINIMUM of 1.2 L of potable water should be available DAILY, probably more (I'd draw the line, in a semi-dire scenario, somewhere around 10L per daily use for all water related, naturally reclaiming as much as possible)

and when

° for example an average serving of beef stew contains roughly 70-80% water,

° canned food containing water (have a much shorter shelf life, but here it's beside the point) takes up more space, cans are cylindrical...

The logistics of moving such a quantity and then storage, is... a bit of a challenge?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.