why rationality is not the right method to approaching reality, and results based thinking

cassidy408

rationality is the idea of deciding an action or idea by a principle. This is also judged by reason and logic, which are based on universals, or well reasoned opinions. Is this the maximum best method to getting results? I think not.

Are you going to give your reasoning as to why you think not?

sure. My reasoning is that universals are many a thing that our reasoning can be based on, which does not give us a sound understanding of the impact of our decisions? Rationality begins from deciding action to deciding reason for action. When one thinks he wants to do something, it is rational to do it. Its rational because "want" It's rational because one justifies it through desire. Or at least can. When there is room for such a rational decision, it doesn't seem like the long term best results are a factor at play

Of course I'll have to refute what I just said there, because I could decide best possible result through "rationality" as a thinking method.

"Rationality begins from deciding action to deciding reason for action"

this point here is still true though, for rationality to be understood, it needs to be understood based on desired action, not desired result. 

From the title: "why rationality is not the best method..."

A statement (as opposed to question) beginning with the word "why" indicated that an explanation is coming. In order to be convincing, it needs to be a rational explanation. So your thread with either fail to make your case, or will contradict your underlying premise as you do.

It certainly doesn't mean it has to be based on a desire for an action, but it is method based thinking. It is therefore not consequentialist (decided action based on perceived outcome). For something to be rational, one must ask, of what. One does not say. This idea I want to come to fruition is rational. We use rational, as in method of doing something, usually in a universal sense, because universals are rational  because of their predictive nature. We recognize a pattern in how things can be done, and we use rational action in correspondence to them.

rationality is the idea of deciding an action or idea by a principle.

That's one definition. There are many other ones.

which are based on universals, or well reasoned opinions.

Which is it? Something is either a universal (which doesn't exist) or it's an opinion. Pick one. 

Is this the maximum best method to getting results?

Yes, it is the super ultra best method.

We use rational, as in method of doing something, usually in a universal sense, because universals are rational  because of their predictive nature. 

If there was a price for begging the question you would have won it.

"Which is it? Something is either a universal (which doesn't exist) or it's an opinion. Pick one"

so if it's not universal, it is just an opinion? Am I understanding you correctly?

"Truth is preferable to falsehood"

indeed

"
 therefore we emphasize tools that are most likely to uncover truth"

agreed

"
Logic, reason, good grammar, skepticism, empiricism, design of experiments... there are a lot of good things in the toolbox"

agreed. and rationalism is good too, but I deem it one of the lesser tools

"Prove that rationality is not the best method to approach reality and do so without using this system that you deem to be inferior to the task."

What do you need for me to prove it? Give me some guidelines.

"Yes, it is the super ultra best method"

your argument? 

"If there was a price for begging the question you would have won it."

you could be assuming that I think I'm right. I don't know, but tell me where I am incorrect in my presumption.

i never said that rationality was all bad. I just meant in terms of results based thinking. One can deduce using a method that one would not use for something else. I'm not aiming to achieve a "result" by arguing my stance on which methods I think should be used for which purpose. You don't "know" if my method of thinking is rational or not, you can only see my conclusion that I'm brought to when making my case. Thinking itself is not a rational choice, it is a choice made for the purpose of achieving aims. You think to achieve understanding. You don't have to think because it "makes sense" one could argue for it making sense not to as well, and that's why you start with the end you have in mind. Why do you want to think? To understand. Why do you want understand? To transcend the mundane, and reach a greater depth of meaning perhaps.

The problem I see right off the bat, is that you want to use words like "the right" and "the best" to describe your methodology of pragmatic empiricism, but you haven't defined those terms.  And I don't know that you can define them without using Reason, as goodness is not practical or empirical.

Pragmatism assumes a particular ends, of which human beings have many.  I can find the "best" way to kill someone, make an omelette, or make the world a more peaceful, prosperous, and happier place, but those have all very different relations to virtue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.