Child labour in the US's future?

Donnadogsoth

Began full time work at the age of 16, loved it, gained experience and a work ethic that has stayed with me all my life.  The idea that people begin full time employment upon reaching 18 or 21 is a huge disservice to themselves and their local economy as they are entering the work force under-educated in vital aspects such as time management, professionalism and the much valued lesson that life is not, nor should it ever be, fair.  By entering the work at a younger age they are more likely to be shown and taught key information that will make them more employable in the future.  There are valid, desirable and profitable career paths other than college, which increasingly seems to be the worst option a young adult can do if you do not include STEM and a couple of other under-taught subjects.

• Upvote 1

Child labor - it's now called "public schools". They get high stress work for no pay and learn few, if any, skills for future work and are prevented from getting real work or training. It's not America's future, it's America's present. They just 84'd it with the words.

Nailed it! :thumbsup:  Also there's the emotional abuse.

Child labor - it's now called "public schools". They get high stress work for no pay and learn few, if any, skills for future work and are prevented from getting real work or training. It's not America's future, it's America's present. They just 84'd it with the words.

Very good, beard.  I agree.

well, except you would expect some sort of product from child labour, and some people to be profiting monitarily. Other than delayed entry to the work force, what are the products of this child labour, and who is profiting monitarily?

The children are the commodity being produced by government schools. They are traded and consumed by the corporations and businesses which lease them from the government that created/developed them.

...to which I'd add, this commodity is so brainwashed as to be crippled or void in rational thought, ever better as a puppet.

The children are the commodity being produced by government schools. They are traded and consumed by the corporations and businesses which lease them from the government that created/developed them.

the children are the labour AND The commodity? they work to produce themselves?

Another way to think about it is the way that Facebook is free for the user because the user is the product Facebook sells to advertisers and special interests.

Users create much of the content, interact with the content, and likewise make themselves easier to market to which benefits Facebook's customers.

You say they aren't producing anything as if that doesn't make the situation even worse. How much worse would "child labor" be if they were going to work in factories and whatever horrible conditions these people imagine, but they weren't actually producing anything either on top of all the "horror" of being young and working in harsh conditions. If you're quibbling over what they are producing to qualify it as "labor", you're missing the point of the "immorality" being assigned to what children are having to go through. A lack of productivity makes it worse and the productivity wasn't the relevant complaint, but the poor living conditions of children.

You say they aren't producing anything as if that doesn't make the situation even worse. How much worse would "child labor" be if they were going to work in factories and whatever horrible conditions these people imagine, but they weren't actually producing anything either on top of all the "horror" of being young and working in harsh conditions. If you're quibbling over what they are producing to qualify it as "labor", you're missing the point of the "immorality" being assigned to what children are having to go through. A lack of productivity makes it worse and the productivity wasn't the relevant complaint, but the poor living conditions of children.

Look, you want to say how schools are terrible? Fine, im with you. but to go on about "child labour" is ridiculous. its not child labor, under any stretch of the word. Child labour is the ones who make nikes for 10 pence a day or whatever. Or who get conscripted into armies. I am "quibbling" over the point that people are talking crap, making dumb emotional arguments. 

Dont libertarians WANT child labor? 

Look, you want to say how schools are terrible? Fine, im with you. but to go on about "child labour" is ridiculous. its not child labor, under any stretch of the word. Child labour is the ones who make nikes for 10 pence a day or whatever. Or who get conscripted into armies. I am "quibbling" over the point that people are talking crap, making dumb emotional arguments. 

Dont libertarians WANT child labor? 

"child" labor is not ridiculous. A 16 year old in the US is a minor, but may get a job with parental consent. Is that ridiculous for a highschool kid to have a part time job? How about a 15 year old? 14? 12? 10?

Why can't a minor have a job if both the minor and guardian wish it to be so? Guardians still have to take care of their minors and there are numerous regulations on how they can go about it. A child typically can't consent, so a guardian may verify whatever vestige a minor can summon. Not that it needs stated, but if a child cannot consent, but can clearly express that they do not consent, a parent cannot argue that a child wants a job, should get one, or has to get one by any measure.

The libertarian position isn't that child labor is wanted. The position is that a child with parental consent may have gainful employment if she so chooses because not only are your kids none of my business, but they are none of the governments business either outside of protecting them from actual harm. Supposing there is no government, your entire community would be involved with correcting any violent or harmful relationship a parent would have with their child.

There is this thing called "forced" child labor. It is bad only because it is forced. Little do most Americans know, but "sweatshops" that pay "slave wages" to children are actually really good work opportunities that pay really good wages compared to a local economy. Child labor typically consists of children that have to work to take care of themselves and their families and would probably not have a job at said sweatshop if their only other options weren't literally being sold into slavery, including sex slavery or having to work as prostitutes or simply foraging through dangerous heaps of garbage for something of use or value. They can always decide to starve to death.

For all the money we spend on wars, taking care of working age men calling themselves "refugees," and spending half the budget on paying lazy people, we could make sure that child labor was not a necessity anywhere on Earth. Sadly, we have worse things to do with our time and money, so child workers, slave wages, and sweatshops will continue to be to great for dirt poor people in crappy countries, but they will also be absolutely necessary for survival of those same people.

"child" labor is not ridiculous. A 16 year old in the US is a minor, but may get a job with parental consent. Is that ridiculous for a highschool kid to have a part time job? How about a 15 year old? 14? 12? 10?

I guess you didnt read my post, because I didnt say that child labour is ridiculous, i said calling highschool "child labour" is ridiculous

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.