Germany on its way to a totalitarian state. What to do?

N0k4N

Today, I stumbled upon an article (sorry, it's german) http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/fake-news-bundesinnenministerium-will-abwehrzentrum-einrichten-a-1127174.htmlthat pretty much said the following: German officials are now really considering the option of establishing a "Ministry of defence against Fake News". For real this time. 
With elections around the corner, I think it's very likely for them to really go through with this. 

And when they do... Germany will have an actual "Ministry of Truth". I think I don't have to explain what will happen next. We will slowly drift towards a North Korea 2.0. Every "real news" will be pro-government, everything else will be flagged or most likely deleted.

So my question is: What can I do? Is it already too late? 
I am VERY politically active, I try to spread the word as much as I can, I visit protest marches, I do everything that I can do peacefully... but from all the conversations, from all the experience I've gathered over the last couple of years, I slowly come to the conclusion that the majority of Germans either don't want to see what's happening or simply are too stupid/too indoctrinated to even care.

If this "Ministry of Truth" really comes... and the majority of Germans won't rise up to their government (which is highly unlikely imho)... what then? Is a country that doesn't want to be saved worth saving? Am I wasting my time trying to save it? Is it time to flee the sinking ship, is it time to emigrate? For me personally, this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I really don't know what to do anymore... I'm slowly losing my shit knowing what's ahead of me/us :(

Would really appreciate some input from you guys.

Oh, yeah, and happy holidays!

• Upvote 3

Hello,

the problem is that the subservience in Europe is very pronounced east of the channel, of course with differencies between the various countries. Media are controlled by the state already now and every opposition, is, as they say, an imminent danger from the far right. Still a very effective way to guide the public opinion in germany. 

I do not expect too much from the elections in germany.

Next chance for a change in Europe is Mr. Wilders in the Netherlands, I keep fingers crossed.

Ich würde sagen, dass du mit deinem ganzen Macht gegen die deutsche Situation widerstehen. Wirtschaftlich ist Deutschland der wichtigste Teil Europas, und das Land einfach zu fliehen, bevor du hast versucht es ru retten, wäre tragisch.

Du hast gesehen, wie die konservativ Meierheit in den USA geschwiegen hat. Das Media hat geschrien, dass es kaum einen Wähler für Trump gab, und dann auf dem Wahltag hat diese geschwiege Meierheit gewählt, sowie ein Tsunami. Die Deutscher brauchen gute Informationen, um zu entscheiden, weil ich sicher bin, dass das Media in Deutschland ähnlich sagt, als in den USA: es gibt nur eine kleine Gruppe Extremisten, und sie kann nichts machen. Dann haben diese "Extremisten" gewann. :)

Look after number one, don't be reluctant to use whatever benefits you can for yourself and family because the migrants won't be. If you can stomach it, get involved with your local council or rathaus(sounds like Rat House to me). 

Perhaps one thing you could do, is try and plant different ideas in people minds, though more importantly join an organisation with a following aim. I don't know any. 

Secession

Secede Bavaria from the rest of Germany,  it has a lot of the wealthy companies and a Catholic religion, appeal to the local greed of the major corporations and the desired preservation of the peoples culture there. Starve the central  Government of Germany of funding. Show clips of hotels owner being thrown out to make room for migrants, have them crying next to their family to appeal to female influence(It could be them) or maybe there's a better way. 

Secede Schleswig-Holstein and follow Denmark's example of a more centre or right wing Government.

Examples of pseudo-economic succession, Republic of Ireland with lower Corporation Tax, than  the EU standard and the channel Islands.

The Brexit Situation

Don't count on replicating the Brexit vote. In many ways it was a freak occurrence, here's why. When Eastern Europe was essentially admitted to the EU Britain and Sweden put no limits on immigration. As a result, the area that I live in a big Agricultural area ended up having the highest % vote for Brexit. One general effect, as an example has been new truck drivers earn the same as low skilled labour, going from £15-20 per hour to £7!!! (Not including training).Meanwhile property prices have skyrocketed. London in effect is a country of its own and ended up voting to overwhelming stay.

Change the Legal System

Probably the most difficult in larger governments. With more invested interests.

Change from a Code of Laws to a Common Law system.

What you choose to do is ultimately up to you and obviously depends on whether you have close family, a wife, girlfriend and/or career. We are probably in the same boat (Das Boot come to mind). Funding and effectiveness also come to mind, as well as a narrow window of opportunity.

and Happy Christmas 2016 seems like it has been a pivotal year.

I completely understand your state of mind, I am presuming having no idea where your country is heading, but having an idea of where it seems to be heading: stripped of its history, coloured in guilt laden multi-kulti stripes, enriched with practically pre-medieval cultural practices and garnished by totalitarian and censorious toppings, is distressing.

One thing I would hold out on is the apparent opening of Breitbart offices in Germany and France:

Exclusive: Riding Trump wave, Breitbart News plans U.S., European expansion

I would say that the tragedy in germany is, that many people think that they do it right.

They want a prospering and united EU. They accept  that they are held liable for Greek debt. They are proud to try a (ridicoulus and futile) "Energiewende", i.e. having electrical energy to a 100% from renewable energy. They feel its their duty to help everyone who calls "refugee!". And they still believe that the government is more or less on the right track, maybe some tweaking here and there, but generally the direction is o.k.

The ones who are sceptical hear the voices of some politicians of the ruling parties who pretend to be kind of an opposition to Merkel and are sedated that way.

And even if the only party that is a real opposition (AFD) gets 25, 30 or even 35% after the next elections, the party of Merkel can expand the coalition with the Green party or the Left party and make things even worse.

Maybe a major change can take place when more and more countries in Europe change political direction, so that more germans dare to look away from the big government flat screen, and catch a glance of reality. 

Exclusive: Riding Trump wave, Breitbart News plans U.S., European expansion

Yes, there are good news too: The sales of the newspapers are decreasing sharply, and the intake of right or libertarian blogs is rising.

Today, I stumbled upon an article (sorry, it's german) http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/fake-news-bundesinnenministerium-will-abwehrzentrum-einrichten-a-1127174.htmlthat pretty much said the following: German officials are now really considering the option of establishing a "Ministry of defence against Fake News". For real this time. 

With elections around the corner, I think it's very likely for them to really go through with this. 

And when they do... Germany will have an actual "Ministry of Truth". I think I don't have to explain what will happen next. We will slowly drift towards a North Korea 2.0. Every "real news" will be pro-government, everything else will be flagged or most likely deleted.

So my question is: What can I do? Is it already too late? 

I am VERY politically active, I try to spread the word as much as I can, I visit protest marches, I do everything that I can do peacefully... but from all the conversations, from all the experience I've gathered over the last couple of years, I slowly come to the conclusion that the majority of Germans either don't want to see what's happening or simply are too stupid/too indoctrinated to even care.

If this "Ministry of Truth" really comes... and the majority of Germans won't rise up to their government (which is highly unlikely imho)... what then? Is a country that doesn't want to be saved worth saving? Am I wasting my time trying to save it? Is it time to flee the sinking ship, is it time to emigrate? For me personally, this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I really don't know what to do anymore... I'm slowly losing my shit knowing what's ahead of me/us :(

Would really appreciate some input from you guys.

Oh, yeah, and happy holidays!

I think it's probably important that if you're active you shoot up as many flares as possible. One big rule of Saul Alinsky's always comes to mind again and again: Stef pointed out how successful political movements make themselves look bigger than they are. In the US I have seen evidence that the mainstream media is not as big as it thought it was. The eye opener was when I saw literally every other person in line for Trump rallies wear infowars t shirts. This was a huge flare for millions of people all over the country IMO.

I've been wondering if something comparable can be achieved in Germany. Support seems to be there, but I haven't lived in Germany since 2003 which is when I left. But most of my family is obviously still there.

You mean like this?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2943/text

SEC. 1287. Global Engagement Center.

(a) Establishment.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of State, in coordination with the Secretary of Defense and the heads of other relevant Federal departments and agencies, shall establish within the Department of State a Global Engagement Center (in this section referred to as the “Center”).

(2) PURPOSE.—The purpose of the Center shall be to lead, synchronize, and coordinate efforts of the Federal Government to recognize, understand, expose, and counter foreign state and non-state propaganda and disinformation efforts aimed at undermining United States national security interests.

(b) Functions.—The Center shall carry out the following functions:

(1) Integrate interagency and international efforts to track and evaluate counterfactual narratives abroad that threaten the national security interests of the United States and United States allies and partner nations.

(2) Analyze relevant information, data, analysis, and analytics from United States Government agencies, United States allies and partner nations, think tanks, academic institutions, civil society groups, and other nongovernmental organizations.

(3) As needed, support the development and dissemination of fact-based narratives and analysis to counter propaganda and disinformation directed at the United States and United States allies and partner nations.

(4) Identify current and emerging trends in foreign propaganda and disinformation in order to coordinate and shape the development of tactics, techniques, and procedures to expose and refute foreign misinformation and disinformation and proactively promote fact-based narratives and policies to audiences outside the United States.

(5) Facilitate the use of a wide range of technologies and techniques by sharing expertise among Federal departments and agencies, seeking expertise from external sources, and implementing best practices.

(6) Identify gaps in United States capabilities in areas relevant to the purpose of the Center and recommend necessary enhancements or changes.

(7) Identify the countries and populations most susceptible to propaganda and disinformation based on information provided by appropriate interagency entities.

(8) Administer the information access fund established pursuant to subsection (f).

(9) Coordinate with United States allies and partner nations in order to amplify the Center’s efforts and avoid duplication.

(10) Maintain, collect, use, and disseminate records (as such term is defined in section 552a(a)(4) of title 5, United States Code) for research and data analysis of foreign state and non-state propaganda and disinformation efforts and communications related to public diplomacy efforts intended for foreign audiences. Such research and data analysis shall be reasonably tailored to meet the purposes of this paragraph and shall be carried out with due regard for privacy and civil liberties guidance and oversight.

© Head of Center.—

(1) APPOINTMENT.—The head of the Center shall be an individual who is an official of the Federal Government, who shall be appointed by the President.

(2) COMPLIANCE WITH PRIVACY AND CIVIL LIBERTIES LAWS.—The President shall designate a senior official to develop guidance for the Center relating to relevant privacy and civil liberties laws and to ensure compliance with such guidance.

(d) Employees of the Center.—

(1) DETAILEES.—Any Federal Government employee may be detailed to the Center without reimbursement, and such detail shall be without interruption or loss of civil service status or privilege for a period of not more than 3 years.

(2) PERSONAL SERVICE CONTRACTORS.—The Secretary of State may hire United States citizens or aliens as personal services contractors for purposes of personnel resources of the Center, if—

(A) the Secretary determines that existing personnel resources are insufficient;

(B) the period in which services are provided by a personal services contractor, including options, does not exceed 3 years, unless the Secretary determines that exceptional circumstances justify an extension of up to one additional year;

© not more than 50 United States citizens or aliens are employed as personal services contractors under the authority of this paragraph at any time; and

(D) the authority of this paragraph is only used to obtain specialized skills or experience or to respond to urgent needs.

(e) Transfer of amounts authorized.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—If amounts authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available to carry out the functions of the Center—

(A) for fiscal year 2017 are less than $80,000,000, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to transfer, from amounts authorized to be appropriated by this Act for the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2017, to the Secretary of State an amount, not to exceed $60,000,000, to be available to carry out the functions of the Center for fiscal year 2017; and

(B) for fiscal year 2018 are less than $80,000,000, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to transfer, from amounts authorized to be appropriated by an Act authorizing funds for the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2018, to the Secretary of State an amount, not to exceed $60,000,000, to be available to carry out the functions of the Center for fiscal year 2018.

(2) NOTICE REQUIREMENT.—The Secretary of Defense shall notify the congressional defense committees of a proposed transfer under paragraph (1) not less than 15 days prior to making such transfer.

(3) INAPPLICABILITY OF REPROGRAMMING REQUIREMENTS.—The authority to transfer amounts under paragraph (1) shall not be subject to any reprogramming requirement under any other provision of law.

(f) Information access fund.—

(1) AUTHORITY FOR GRANTS.—The Center is authorized to provide grants or contracts of financial support to civil society groups, media content providers, nongovernmental organizations, federally funded research and development centers, private companies, or academic institutions for the following purposes:

(A) To support local independent media who are best placed to refute foreign disinformation and manipulation in their own communities.

(B) To collect and store examples in print, online, and social media, disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda directed at the United States and its allies and partners.

© To analyze and report on tactics, techniques, and procedures of foreign information warfare with respect to disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda.

(D) To support efforts by the Center to counter efforts by foreign entities to use disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda to influence the policies and social and political stability of the United States and United States allies and partner nations.

(2) FUNDING AVAILABILITY AND LIMITATIONS.—The Secretary of State shall provide that each organization that applies to receive funds under this subsection is selected in accordance with the relevant existing regulations to ensure its bona fides, capability, and experience, and its compatibility with United States interests and objectives.

(g) Reports.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than one year after the date on which the Center is established, the Secretary of State shall submit to the appropriate congressional committees a report evaluating the success of the Center in carrying out its functions under subsection (b) and outlining steps to improve any areas of deficiency.

(2) DEFINITION.—In this subsection, the term “appropriate congressional committees” means—

(A) the Committee on Foreign Relations, the Committee on Armed Services, the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and the Committee on Appropriations of the Senate; and

(B) the Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on Armed Services, the Committee on Homeland Security, and the Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives.

(h) Limitation.—None of the funds authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available to carry out this section shall be used for purposes other than countering foreign propaganda and misinformation that threatens United States national security.

(i) Termination.—The Center shall terminate on the date that is 8 years after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.