Spanking As A Method For Teaching Responsibility

IsaacGage860

While I'm on the topic of spanking children and how it is a violation of the NAP, allow me to make an analogy. First of all, philosophy is not democratic and science is not consensus without rigorous inquiry into an academic question or issue. It is reason and evidence that matters. Who cares what the majority thinks? At one point in time people thought the Earth was flat, or that serfdom and slavery were moral. Just because people believed it for centuries doesn't make it correct. ‍♂ Come on people, this is pathetic. I'm really not trying to belittle or demean but this is just historical bigotry and intransigent inertia. For those people who spank their children, how do you know that choosing not to do that and instead use negotiation and diplomacy won't work? Saying that children are not old enough to understand complex moral rules is not a valid argument. All that says is that you're lazy and haven't bothered to ever question anything a so called "authority" has told you.

If violence against children is a legitimate way of teaching responsibility and that there are consequences for recalcitrance then why don't we raise our kids under a radical interpretation of Sharia Law? Heretics and blasphemers of Sharia are struck or whipped for disobedience. Women who are raped have to have multiple male witness testimony to exonerate HER of wrongdoing. This a valid comparison because violence is violence is violence. Ex post facto justifications do not change this fact.

To take another example, we all know that at some point the balance of power shifts away from the parents and to the now grown child. If using violence to teach there are consequences for mistakes is a valid form of discipline, then what happens when your geriatric ass forgets the keys in the refrigerator or something else. Do your children or other caretakers get to hit you? Of course not, everyone considers this abuse. So why is it ok to use these tactics on children. Remember, individual anecdotes and personal testimony do not negate statistical trends. In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, these are four studies that corroborate my claims:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

https://news.utexas.edu/…/risks-of-harm-from-spanking-confi…

https://www.psychologytoday.com/…/research-spanking-it-s-ba…

http://www.iflscience.com/…/spanking-leads-angrier-and-mor…/

I welcome anyone to offer counter arguments, but please stick to actual arguments. Personal incredulousness and anecdotes are not arguments.

I don't understand the point of this post.

a) you just repeated what Stefan said in his recent video

b) nobody here is pro-spanking

There is always the occasional troll or deliberately incompetent person who decides to weigh in on this stuff. Sometimes people learn better through writing then through auditory cues. 

I don't understand the point of this post.

a) you just repeated what Stefan said in his recent video

b) nobody here is pro-spanking

b) isnt true. I have seen a couple of people on the boards that have a pro spanking stance. Also the FDR facebook group is full of posts supporting spanking

• Upvote 1

b) isnt true. I have seen a couple of people on the boards that have a pro spanking stance. Also the FDR facebook group is full of posts supporting spanking

The FDR facebook group is having a debate, for the most part, and has a greater amount of evident trolling than these forums.

The question is becoming "how much adversity helps a child without harming them?"

My position is that if you are hitting someone you have failed. I also believe that if you are terrifying someone you have failed. People earn respect from their behavior, and people can earn fear. You want the former, not the latter.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

the facebook group is hardly a philosophy group, it's more of a The_Donald shitpost group, except The_Donald is actually funny

The only criticism I can muster for peaceful parenting is the name. If it's not peaceful it's not parenting! It's just hitting people smaller than you. Like I said it's not much of a criticism at all. I also feel the same about attachment parenting, as if by default parenting doesn't involve attachment!!

I appreciate we do live in an ass backwards world where these things need spelling out to some people, but I really do despair sometimes. In all serious though I have crazy respect for anyone who was spanked or hit as a child but resolves to break that cycle.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The only criticism I can muster for peaceful parenting is the name. If it's not peaceful it's not parenting! It's just hitting people smaller than you. Like I said it's not much of a criticism at all. I also feel the same about attachment parenting, as if by default parenting doesn't involve attachment!!

I appreciate we do live in an ass backwards world where these things need spelling out to some people, but I really do despair sometimes. In all serious though I have crazy respect for anyone who was spanked or hit as a child but resolves to break that cycle.

Actually, for most of the world's history, even in Western society, people saw children as a consequence of life more than anything else, and after the baby became a toddler did not care much for them, leaving bigger siblings to take care of them. The popular theory as recently as the first half of the XX Century was that giving too much attention and demonstrating too much love to your children would harm them, making the transition to adulthood more difficult[1].

[1] The Nurture Assumption - Judith Harris.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.