jroseland

This has got to be one of the most compelling and unsettling new conspiracy theories that has emerged in the past year. It goes like this...

Large groups of the population distinctly remember certain cultural memes one way, yet actually something different. Significant proportions of the population have false memories about mainstream cultural memes.

Some examples

Nelson Mandela died in the 1980's in prison instead of in 2013

Darth Vader did NOT say Luke, I am your father he actually said No, I am your father

Sex in the City is actually Sex and the City

Life is like a box chocolates is actually Life was like a box chocolates

The Berenstien Bears is actually The Berenstain Bears

In Field of Dreams saying If you build it, they will come is actually If you build it, he will come

Mirror, Mirror on the wall is actually Magic mirror, on the wall

Interview With a Vampire is actually Interview With the Vampire

Sally Field(s)'s Oscar acceptance speech you like me you really like me was actually You like me, right now, you like me

In the assassination of JFK there was 4 people in the car, nope it was 6 actually

There's bunch of other examples of the Mandela effects...
I encourage you to go through them and I think you'll be surprised to find that you yourself have some false memories of cultural memes, old movies and brands. It's kind of creepy.

There's bunch of Youtube videos on the topic, this is one probably the most interesting...

Human memory is infamously fallible and open to suggestion, so I don't place a lot of faith in my own memories of old movies that I wasn't really paying that much attention to anyways. For none of the examples of the Mandela effect do I have a vivid enough memory that I think I've moved to the wrong universe.

It would stand to reason that since we are all so susceptible to the same cognitive biases, large groups of people who saw the same movies, television and products would have the false memories. Baring a metaphysical explanation it's a fascinating example of just how susceptible to illusions we are in groups.

A lot of these can also be explained by companies changing their logos and branding, misquotations or by different versions of popular films, songs or books.

But there's a couple that are pretty tough to explain, notably...

The Berenstien Bears - apparently even some old photos have surfaced of it spelled the old way that many remember it.

Luke, I am your father - Even James Earl Jones remembers saying it this way, and there's several interviews of him in the 90's repeating Luke, I am your father

Sally Field(s)'s Oscar acceptance speech - Her line became such a pervasive cultural meme, you see it repeated all the time, in for example in old Simpson's episodes

The two most popular conspiracy theories for this are that...

a) Around 2010 some of us moved to an parallel universe where facts and names of things are just a little different.

b) The simulation theory - the Matrix is being hacked and changed.

Personal Mandela Effect?

If either of these metaphysical explanations were correct we would expect some more personal changes that would be equally observable

You mom's name would change (better call her and double check!)

Your childhood address would change.

You dog would come back to life.

The company you work for would change their logo without telling anyone.

We would expect there to be consistency between the people reporting global Mandela effects and personal Mandela effects. Right?

The Mandela Effect is new 

As you can see from Google Keyword trends, it's just something people have started talking about the past year

https://g.co/trends/pxwes

Google Keyword Trends

My analysis is - I think - consistent with the theory that it's just wide spread fake memories.

https://g.co/trends/QYMp8Luke, I am your father has always been more popular

https://g.co/trends/C0lJZ - Berenst__n bears

https://g.co/trends/y2dDb - Sex in/and the city

https://g.co/trends/OtgSdLife is like a box chocolates always been more popular

https://g.co/trends/HIIgwyou like me you really like me! Always been more popular

https://g.co/trends/7D0ElSally Fields, Sally Field

https://g.co/trends/2GGiAIf you build it, they will come has gotten more popular over time compared to the accurate quote

Google is obviously just recording what people are searching for. Google also auto corrects auto completes a lot of search keywords. However...

Statistical Anomaly 

These people on Reddit, reached a different conclusion though, Google keyword trend analysis of several popular Mandela Effect memes reveals a notable divergence around the turn of the decade, as we entered the roaring twenty-teens.

https://redd.it/3q8db6

They have screenshots showing a perplexing statistical anomaly of emergence of the new memes around 2010. Which would be more consistent with the metaphysical theories. 

If it was just false memories we would expect the inaccurate memes to be consistent with the accurate ones over time since Google started recording these things in 2004. Right?

Did I do my Google keyword trend analysis wrong? Is Google complicit in the Mandela effect? Are these guys on Reddit faking their screenshots? Or did something sinister happened in 2010?

CERN?

A bunch of conspiracy theorists think there's a connection to CERN's experiments with antimatter and nutty psuedo-spiritual demonic explanations. I listened to more videos and podcasts on this topic than I'd care to admit and there's very thin evidence for connection to CERN.

Historical Parallels

I know people have believed crazy things since time immemorial but can anyone else think of recent historical examples where false memes somehow snuck into people's heads?

Testing the Mandela Effect

At this point it seems that it's a lot of Youtube bros, armchair psychologists, religious and wuwu types discussing the Mandela effect. I'm trying to think of how a real scientist of statistician would formulate an experiment to test it...

• Recency - Google trends would be more insightful if Google were around back in the 70's or 80's when some of these memes originated. It would seem to me that statistical analysis of a Mandela effect that happened in the past 10 years would yield a more clear result. As you could actually see the false meme being born alongside it's twin, or not.
  • Population comparison - You'd have to test accurate memes vs false memes in multiple countries and languages. How funny would it end up being if this was just a white people thing?
  • Subject priming - I'd love to hear how an expert hypnotist (Scott Adams?) or other mentalists opinion on how to do an experiment that doesn't prime the subjects to respond one way or another.
  • Better Keyword Trend Analysis - Google trends is free to the public tool which is notoriously inaccurate. SEO guys have learned the hard way not to really trust it. We really need a different software for analyzing the accurate vs false memes.
  • Memory imaging - Perhaps in a couple of years when memory imaging technology advances we will be able to prove or disprove the Mandela effect by looking into the memories of those reporting the Mandela effect.

I think what makes this conspiracy theory so viral and compelling is that there's a malevolence implied, somebody is changing our history!

Who else would love to hear his logical imminence Stefbot himself dissect the Mandela Effect with his cold rationality?

I'm sorry but it's more than likely a form of confabulation: ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confabulation). Read the link and reflect on the idea that our memories and our reliance of them are inextricably linked to our identities. That is to say it's shit scary for a lot of people -especially those without self knowledge to examine the fallibility of their own minds. The idea of some external stimulus fucking about with reality is actually less distressing than accepting your own capacity for error.

By way of example I have a reasonably accurate memory for some things and a piss poor one for others (mainly memorising long strings of numbers). In addition I am a dyslexic which means I have particularly visual based thought process. So in one instance a mate of mine and I went cycling he was fretting before we left his house as he couldn't find his shades, I simply replayed our trip the prior day in my head recalling where he had placed them when we got back in (they were in the kitchen), and told him precisely where they were. This slightly unnerved him, and I've noticed generally it can wind people when you are almost always right when you have conflicting recollections of events from them. Prior to the Internet oftentime people wouldn't bother actually proving trivial details, but now we can all look up who was in what movie, or what happened on X day somewhere. I noticed people really don't like having their memories questioned, so I generally avoid it out of politeness.

This Mandela effect sounds like a mass delusion. On a planet of billions of people, many of them now connected across vast distances thanks to the Internet it would be odd if there wasn't collections of people with spontaneously different recollections that happen to have made the same error. Now they can meet, compare notes and cling to a notion that protects their own sense of self. Moral of the story develop a strong sense of self, that incorporates a self awareness that you have the capacity for error. Then it's no biggie to hold your hands up and say "hmm I remembered that wrong". You will actually increase your capacity to get it right once you accept you can get it wrong. If you're expending loads of mental energy defending incorrect ideas and memories it's a waste.

Plus these sorts of things have been around since way before 2010. William Shatner never once says 'beam me up Scotty' in any Star Trek episode or movie. People were getting the line in Empire wrong since way before 2010, but perhaps the oldest one I can point to off the top of my head was the line about Yorick in Hamlet which starts: 'Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio' whereas you could find many people who would swear blind the line starts 'Alas poor Yorick! I knew him well'. Another is the line line 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' the actual line in the poem is 'heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.'

There a lot more plausible reasons to explain the phenomenon than someone sat on the wrong switch on the hadron collider, and no I'm not in on any conspiracy!!

I think it's because of the human minds tendency to think in generalities as a opposed to specifities. The "Luke, I am your father" is a specificity you only have one father right. Mother is a bit more of a generality, "Mother earth"."Father Time" (a specificity)

As Stefan said and I'm paraphrasing, "children are universalising machines, it's not just one apple that's poisoned, but all apples."

Simplifying and connecting that which are obviously connected to make it more relevant for more people.

The brain does this with pretty much everything all the time. And very few people care about small details.

We upgrade and update stuff. It is what our brains do. Did you hear anyone say: "This remake of the old quote is better. It is easier to understand and makes it more relevant for people, but it is not 100% accurate, and so we should stop using it, and only ever use the accurate quote." ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.