Why is human life worth more than animal life?

richardbaxter

8 hours ago, A4E said:

Ok, so then we do not have any proof of true intelligence anymore, since humans could just behave somewhat differently because "every matter consisting of more than a few atoms differ from another". Which means that our brains could very well just be large instinct deposits if we go by what you are saying

Yes, our brains are also very large instinct deposits. As research indicates our instincts and feelings set the goal, and consciousness is used to justify it. Of course it is also possible to go the scientific or philosophical way: Watch reality and derive objective conclusions (or at least try as good as possible).

Proof of intelligence is to act intelligent.  (In reversal of Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does")  I do know that I have consciousness, and while there is no proof that somewhere else also has, I have good reason to assume that this is the case when I watch other people behave in a rational and intelligent way. Further research in brainwaves will sooner or later figure out which patterns are necessary to verify consciousness. It would be no surprise for me if most higher animals do have several levels of consciousness, but I would be amazed if ants have. Ants do not have much of a cerebrum, if any.

regards

Andi

On 4/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, richardbaxter said:

Is human life worth more than animal life? If so, why would human life be worth equal to a more intelligent, more sentient machine?

I'll tell you what I think is worth more than a Human and an Animals Life.

Communication for Ants. The reason being that 1 ant isn't worth much to the survival of the colony, but it's potential communication via a pheromone trails is.

Freedom of Speech/Communication for people. One reason being, without communication and freedom of speech, predation is much more possible. Great Wall of China (workers buried in foundation), Death road in Norway, Design of Roman Helmets, Pony Express, Mongol Empire, going postal.........etc

As for a machine as long as you can communicate with it, things might be ok. Crystalline Entity............ 

This thread might be interesting if another species had made it to the moon. 

The original question in the OP assumes that consciousness can exist outside of a biological organism. I've never seen such a thing, nor seen any compelling evidence that this is possible. 

I've never seen such a thing, nor seen any compelling evidence that this is possible. 

Neurons behave in a causal way. They don't fire at will, only when there is an impulse. There is no reason to think that this can't be simulated.

18 hours ago, _LiveFree_ said:

This thread might be interesting if another species had made it to the moon. 

Probably lots of bacteria, fungus, plant seeds, and very small animals (Water bears) could have made it to the moon involuntarily and then died there.

I have a bridge for sale if you think humans have set foot on the moon. We might be able to in the future sometime though if suppressive institutions are repelled.

1 hour ago, A4E said:

Probably lots of bacteria, fungus, plant seeds, and very small animals (Water bears) could have made it to the moon involuntarily and then died there.

I have a bridge for sale if you think humans have set foot on the moon. We might be able to in the future sometime though if suppressive institutions are repelled.

And now I know not to engage with you. Thanks!

One way to bypass the whole flawed concept of an intelligence scale is to recognise that we scale intelligence according to what traits are valuable to us. If we can recognise that, then we can go back and look at the original question and see that that the question is: "Why is human life worth more than animal life to us?" 

We can then ask, "Why is a wolf cub's life worth more to the she wolf than a baby lamb?"

Indeed, the answer is obvious. 

• Upvote 1

On 12.5.2017 at 3:45 PM, Chani said:

Indeed, the answer is obvious. 

Yes. And also we have to take into account relationships between species. A dog/cat owner would likely value their pet more than some random human.

26 minutes ago, A4E said:

I recommend not spending time or money or thought on this movie.

By saying that you kind of encourage some people to go and watch it. Besides there's a bit in the movie that mimics the goose video you posted:). I thought it was the best Alien movie I've seen, was glad I watched it on my birthday. Though probably going to trigger a lot of people, isn't exactly the Lego Movie(Only seen clips). Ridley Scott is a very good director, though probably going to freak-out girls potentially.

First Men in the Moon (1964, HG Wells) Originally published in 1901. Has Geese, "The Moon", "Ants", Communication, Travel, Boundaries etc.....

"Will you have whiskey with your water / Or sugar with your tea / What are these crazy questions / That they're asking of me/ Don't turn on the lights cause, I don't wanna see."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.