Free private Cities

Thanks for down voting me @Goldenages, simply for disagreeing with your post. No country anywhere would ever give up any part or portion of its sovereignty. Concept as stated (legal) is dead on arrival.

Now you could only allow people in who you test and who completely fit your ideology. Then you can trust they will follow the "purpose" of the city. Rules, be productive, etc.

Or you could reward and punish people via illegal eviction, or other illegal means. But as soon as they run off to the country police you are in trouble.

Also, how will you avoid taxes? You can't, not legally anyway. On a very small level barter or some kind of non currency exchange would work, but technically you are responsible for paying taxes on barter. So the individual person is probably safe from tax collection but if you are facilitating it for a whole city, you are going to get thrown in the slammer.

This is the major reason why I don't think this can legally be done.

Now illegally, yes. Absolutely. I plan on doing this myself. Not in such a way to break the law but none of the contracts are legally enforceable. It will rely on social ostracism alone to enforce the contracts.

I find it interesting that the idea is alive, and at least some try to make it real.

But there are good reasons to be sceptical.  It all depends on how bad the situation becomes in the common nations - when people start eating zoo animals they won´t keep their fingers off the rich and wealthy neighbours, especially when they are small and unarmed.

regards

Andi

• 3 weeks later...

Actually a city near Los Angeles used a legal way to create a corporate city.

They zoned a voting area which included non-residential commercial buildings and Gerrymandered in one house. Buy up a large piece of land, incorporate, and zone as many voting areas as you want, so long as you keep 51% of the vote locked to you, no other vote matters. 

I want to design the roads, I have some cool ideas. 

On 7/14/2017 at 8:26 PM, Jsbrads said:

Actually a city near Los Angeles used a legal way to create a corporate city.

They zoned a voting area which included non-residential commercial buildings and Gerrymandered in one house. Buy up a large piece of land, incorporate, and zone as many voting areas as you want, so long as you keep 51% of the vote locked to you, no other vote matters. 

I want to design the roads, I have some cool ideas. 

what is it called?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.