How can I be successful, despite my Low IQ?

mmillerj

I was going to point out that being able to determine something to be right or wrong is a very, very important skill.  You didn't invent the wheel, yet you benefit from the wheel.  You don't have to understand hydraulic coupling in order to operate a car.  Knowing that you don't understand it, is a very important thing to understand.

You can learn a LOT of very usable skills, including social interaction.  I'm in STEM and we have motivating leaders that don't "write the code" but have great insight into what code needs to be written.

I work in IT but if I had been given a more modest IQ, I reckon I'd be happy as a plumber. Both occupations are fairly well paid, very useful and not too crowded a career choice in developed countries.

There's been a suggestion in this thread of moving to a less developed country; that might work if it's something you want to do anyway, but there are disadvantages too. A big reason why many of these countries remain poor is that although they have many tiny subsistence-level family businesses and some very large businesses, there's far less in between than you would see in a developed economy. That's because any smallish business that's reasonably successful becomes the target for predators, and the business won't usually have the deep pockets and massive time commitment that are needed to fight the predators through a thoroughly corrupt legal and law enforcement system. For example, the local person you brought in to manage the business claims that he, not you, owns the business, and he produces fake receipts to "prove" that he, not you, bought all your equipment; to complicate things further, he produces a doctor's report claiming he suffered permanent injury as a result of you supposedly assaulting him. The police back him up because they have been bribed. Or, the local police or tax inspectors ask you to sign over the business under threat of prosecution for something or other.

Hi mmillerj,

Without thinking much about the answer, make a decision on 'Would you like to have a better life?'

A. Yes

B. No

If you chose B, stop reading any further or come back to it later. If you chose A but don't mean it, same as B.

If you are taking responsibility for your life starting with a big, fat and solid 'Yes I want to have a better life!' answer, then this is the summary of the solution that although has it's uphills, always keeps getting better as long as you go in the right direction.  (no trick answers, pay me a '1000Smackaroonies' but you will need to be dedicated to yourself, there's no getting around that one.)

Here 'tis:

being 'in your place',  being fully conscious of who you are and why you do the things you do, proudly choosing to be on your side while taking responsibility for any & all of your actions, being your own best friend (supportive, including the friendly 'dick-punch', curious, patient, CONSTRUCTIVELY HONEST, especially about hot red-heads)

Any extension, clarification required, just pm here for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this premise rather amusing. All you have to do is admit that you can only accomplish what a person with your IQ can accomplish.  There should be resources showing what an IQ 87 person can do for work. Then there is plenty of information about fluid IQ, so you really just have too look at what a person with a 93 or slightly better IQ can do. Then you decide if you want to work really hard or really really hard. Find a career that suits your capabilities, then work really hard at it. Success is pretty goddamn simple, especially if you live in America. (Not Mexico)

Aside from your "limitations," you should just do what other people do. Copy successful people. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a triple digit IQ and it is still not exactly easy to find a good woman. I think Peter Drucker gives great advice as in, not to throw all eggs in one basket, and to stay in your lane. Read his book, Managing oneself. It is a great book that is pretty short and it helps you in a variety of ways. It begins by asking you what are your strengths? How do you perform? What are my values and where do I belong? What should my contribution be? The book emphasis on feedback analysis to identify strengths. Begin by to write down desired outcomes for decisions and actions made. 9-12months later, reflect back on those outcomes to best work on strengths. Avoid intellectual arrogance. Be humble. Refrain from areas of incompetence. Are you a read or a listener? How do you learn? What sort of man do you see in the mirror? Know thyself. Where can you best succeed? Set SMART (SPECIFIC/MEASURABLE/ACHIEVABLE/REACHABLE/TIMELY) GOALS based upon all of the above. Communicating based upon this knowledge then allows others with in the environment to know how you best succeed.  

• 7 months later...

Let's not move country unless we get a decent trade / career.  But sure, there's nothing really stopping me either, and I'd like a change of culture.  

But that's not what we are talking about here, let's really understand what we want from life.  I don't know yet and I'm 32.

Given your ability to understand everyone's responses on here, and even the thirst to find this place... that shows me, in my opinion, that your wants and desire outweighs any disadvantages you may get from an average or below average IQ.

So f*ck IQ dude, right now we've got bigger things to worry about.  And like what someone mentioned, we don't HAVE to understand concepts to be succesful and use them, sure its fulfilling but we don't have to.

What do you work as now anyway?

I have a high iQ but couldn't care less yet, I've never been able to work or engage in relationships etc.

In the future if I choose to understand concepts, I'm sure I will, but that doesn't make me any more successful than you.  Maybe not even happier.

The goal is happiness right?

I think it was Henry Ford that said "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."  I know it is difficult, but focusing on your IQ score is slowing you down and distracting you from adding value to your life.  Your verbal IQ is 103? Focus on that!  How can you use that verbal IQ to raise your SMV or your value in the job market?

I recommend reading.  It uses your strongest form of intelligence!  There are great books like "How to Win Friends and Influence People."  I read it and it was very straight forward.  I think dedication could help you increase your social abilities.  I've recommended this next book about 20 times in the last two days so here I go again... "Healing the Shame That Binds You" by John Bradshaw could help you overcome any shame-bound emotions that you are having trouble expressing and being honest about (psst... videogames, eating!  These actions are possibly expressions of an emotion that you were not allowed to express as a child).  I think this could be related to your feelings regarding your IQ right now.  There was a time when you should have once been unconditionally loved and cared for by your parents.  A lot of us struggle with this including me.  I think the emotions you are experiencing regarding your IQ could be something to do with this unconscious need for unconditional love.  This book talks about how to get it back so you can love yourself.  I bet a lot of your energy is spent worrying about your IQ and to be honest - mine is too - and it is really, really distracting.  My IQ is about 130 (+/- 10?) and I still effin' worry about it falling or not being good enough!

I am not assuming you are doing this, rather I am putting out a theory that you might be unconsciously avoiding an unmet emotional need by distracting and intellectualizing (explained in Bradshaw's book).

As Stef talks about how women that are unattractive can do things like be better wives, caregivers, and friends to increase SMV... I think you can do the same.  It takes dedication and a lot of work and drive!  I think most of this can begin to be unlocked starting with $7 and a few days here: "Healing the Shame That Binds You" by John Bradshaw

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.