Conference To Revamp The Board

Eudaimonic

Video Conference Interest  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think?

• I'm Interested
    • Good Idea
    • That's Lame

As hotly discussed in this thread, the general feeling about the Freedomain Radio board seems to be that it has become duller, less organized and more frustrating to participate in.

Various explanations and theories for why this has happened and how it could be remedied were put forward, but a general consensus has not been reached.

The user Erwin and I discussed the possibility of setting up a video conference among the donors and major posters on the board in order to more effectively parse out the major issues contributing to this problem and develop more cohesive inter-group guidelines among the major players on the board in order to inject some of the energy, direction and pleasure back into the board and the relationships between board members.

I'm posting this here to measure the interest in such a video conference and, if the interest proves strong enough, to set up a date, time, roll call and agenda of said conference.

I've set up a poll in order to more easily gage the interest, select 'I'm Interested' if you like the idea and would like to participate, 'Good Idea' if you like the idea but wouldn't/couldn't participate and 'That's Lame' if you think it's not such a great idea.

Any feedback, questions or ideas around this are appreciated, thank you.

36 minutes ago, _LiveFree_ said:

Need to define what use a message board has. What's its purpose. How does it support FDR. Is there interest, and is it worth the time and money. Is there a better alternative?

I agree, these are all important questions that I think would be beneficial as a community to discuss and come to a consensus about.

Many of us have become lost and confused as to the answers of these questions and I think the most important thing we can do is to develop some leadership to answer them. Whether that is through a video conference (the most efficient method imo) or a thread or something else, it is best for us to confront the lack of cohesiveness, we either do so or we might as well abandon the boards to intellectual masturbation and move on to more fruitful endeavors. 

15 hours ago, _LiveFree_ said:

Need to define what use a message board has. What's its purpose. How does it support FDR. Is there interest, and is it worth the time and money. Is there a better alternative?

I completely agree.

The tagline at freedomainradio.com is "The largest philosophical discussion in the world". When you read that tagline you immediately think of the great philosophers, the great books, the great conversation spanning thousands of years. This site is not a book club. FDR was never intended to be a place for general philosophy.

The way I see it, Molyneux used to be about his own libertarian philosophy, but now he's about libertarian politics and social commentary. His shift is why this forum has lost its purpose.

To be relevant to Stephan Molyneux and his listeners this forum has to be re-purposed as a political forum and a place for libertarians to come together. If this really is a philosophy forum we would find someone who's primarily interested in philosophy to rally around.

Stephan Molyneux is far better known as a leading libertarian commentator than a philosopher. This forum could be a power base where libertarians come together and organise a political movement. Libertarians could come here to discuss how to influence others, and overthrow the established ideology. We could make that the mission of this forum. However we define the forum, it has to line up with what Moleneux is doing.

We need a mission-statement.

Edited by plato85
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, plato85 said:

The tagline at freedomainradio.com is "The largest philosophical discussion in the world". When you read that tagline you immediately think of the great philosophers, the great books, the great conversation spanning thousands of years. This site is not a book club. FDR was never intended to be a place for general philosophy.

Of course, to me it's not a discussion, because Stefan never posted here in the years I've been here.

Case and point: I had a post in this thread get nicked. How am I supposed to know what I did wrong without feedback? There was no cursing, no aggressive language, nothing I thought was inappropriate at all or violated the Forum Guidelines. Yet...vanish!  If I got a short message telling me "Hey. Don't do this because <short reason>," I could adjust accordingly. Otherwise, I just think "What's the point?"

Consistency

15 minutes ago, _LiveFree_ said:

Case and point: I had a post in this thread get nicked. How am I supposed to know what I did wrong without feedback? There was no cursing, no aggressive language, nothing I thought was inappropriate at all or violated the Forum Guidelines. Yet...vanish!  If I got a short message telling me "Hey. Don't do this because <short reason>," I could adjust accordingly. Otherwise, I just think "What's the point?"

https://board.freedomainradio.com/guidelines/

Sorry, that's probably too snarky. Most likely you hit a keyword or were too direct in your response. Those are the ones that get my posts "nicked".

Edited by shirgall
Adding material

http://flarum.org/features/

I recommend checking out this software's features. The layout and functionality of a forum under, for instance, vBulletin is old and not great for mobile devices, social media integration, and fast searching. Key features of Flarum include unlimited scrolling, real-time updating, multi-paned UI allowing reading and posting at the same time, and expandability. 

Basically, what killed the traditional internet message board is that it isn't real-time and social media is. The reason this one is basically comatose is that it's worse than not real-time; it's randomly delayed based on the coding and whims of moderators. Blegh. 

• 1 month later...

May we speak?

I run www.HELM.ceo which brings entrepreneurs together via videoconference. We have a platform that includes reminders, facilitation, etc.

I'm passionate not just about disseminating these ideas to a broader audience, but also to deepening the discussion among curated groups. 

I'm at 917.566.0364 and [email protected] and would love to chat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.