Challenging the IQ test

robert1986

I have not taken an IQ test ever to my knowledge, but if I did , would I be able to dispute it? 

Let me elaborate.

If I took the IQ test and let's say I got an 85 would I be able to do a practical test that shows I'm above 85 if that practical test is for 100?

Does the IQ test really mean I'm smart or not smart? 

I like practical application over binary questions. 

I'd think if I can show I can grasp abstract concepts then that could mean an IQ test is incorrect. 

What do you think? Would challenging an IQ test with actual practical application put the IQ test to rest?

IQ tests measure three categories: verbal intelligence, mathematical ability and spatial reasoning. High scores demonstrate an ability to learn and solve problems in the aforementioned categories. They don't test your ability to retain information (as per standard exams) though there is a requirement for some fairly rudimentary knowledge.

From reading your posts on the board it's clear that you don't have a 85 IQ - such an IQ is glaringly obvious, and it's obvious your IQ is higher than 100. The lower an IQ goes the more glaringly obvious it is and the higher it goes the more difficult it is to guess how high without knowing someone for some time. I have a rough category of 115+ - this was the rough average IQ of graduates before higher education was opened up to the masses. Beyond this it's difficult to guess someone's rough IQ.

From reading your posts I would provisionally guess you are likely 115+ as you have demonstrated a curiosity and questioning within multiple layers of complexity. An 85 IQ isn't likely to be able to compute more than one level of complexity and as you get into the 70s, you are talking about people who have trouble computing basic linear problems.

However, IQ tests don't measure social intelligence, which I think is generally more complex, i.e. an ability to consider how groups, attitudes, countries, ideologies etc. interact with one another. But I don't think the intelligence would deviate much from the above three categories.

A high IQ would mean you are smarts by most people's measure. It shows you can solve problems that other people can't get their heads round and these are the types of problems that you will encounter in most high paying jobs, though I think the IQ test would benefit from at least the addition of measuring social intelligence.

I know I'm limited in the math area but in high school i did the best in History, Biology and English. 

With math I didn't do well with Geometry. I found it boring and not useful unless I'm an architect.

The other subjects I found interesting and useful. 

Had I taken an IQ test math would be my weak link, at least for anything past Algebra. 

5 hours ago, Jos van Weesel said:

• 3 weeks later...

Just take the test. The math isn't like algebra, you didn't need to do well in high school math to do well on an IQ test, its mostly recognizing patterns, stuff like this:

0,2,5,7,10,12,15,17,___ (Fill in the blank)

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21,___

Its also not designed that you need to get a 100% accurate on it. I am not sure how its scored exactly although I should look into it but it has some kind of weighting or something I believe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.