barn

On 11/25/2017 at 3:41 PM, barn said:

I think you miss-read/internalised or perhaps extrapolated too broadly, given the purpose... examples below.

Didn't misread, my post wasn't directed at you. This is a public forum and this specific thread is in relation to willpower. It will be viewed by dozens who may be having difficulties with said topic. Thus, a practical exercise might be helpful. Resource sharing.

1 hour ago, ShindouHikaru said:

Didn't misread, my post wasn't directed at you. This is a public forum and this specific thread is in relation to willpower. It will be viewed by dozens who may be having difficulties with said topic. Thus, a practical exercise might be helpful. Resource sharing.

Ah, I see. That's different.

No. This thread isn't just 'in relation to willpower' (please read the first post, because it seems.. )

Were you lazy enough to not have read the first post? (There's no mention of how to achieve/strenghten willpower.)

Did you choose to ignore the first post and went ahead disregarding the query? (About the origin, correlations, philosophy.. )

Sure. You're free to not read what I wrote(I remember, I started the thread) and speak your mind randomly on this public forum that many people will see, yes. I don't think it is very productive or respectful but, yes feel free.

You're absolutely free also to quote from books, not pertaining to the thread's intention, possibly making others doubt if you had any original thought or what and if you wished to partake in the actual topic or pay no attention to it.

I encourage you to start another thread, so far your contributions (as I see it, in this thread) hold little value, other than the words 'willpower'.

Regards,

Barnsley

P.S. : (and I'd been really accommodating before, haven't I? Yet you haven't responded to my questions there neither...)

12 minutes ago, barn said:

You're absolutely free also to quote from books, not pertaining to the thread's intention, possibly making others doubt if you had any original thought or what and if you wished to partake in the actual topic or pay no attention to it.

Awwh, super kawaii. Barney's angry ^.^ Original thoughts are quite hard and rare to come by. I don't think I've seen any in this forum. I've seen thinkers who reason from first principles sure, but no original thoughts. 

13 minutes ago, barn said:

No. This thread isn't just 'in relation to willpower' (please read the first post, because it seems.. )

Hi there, (part of a series of essentials) Complete the sentences with what you think is most important, then in the second with what you think helps a great deal.

Willpower requires...., because...

and. In order to possess willpower it's greatly beneficial...

I'm looking forward to seeing your inputs.

Barnsley

Dear child, am I missing something? Is this not the first post? Aren't these all queries in relation to willpower? *confusion ensues*

Your response to the general resource I posted is unintelligible. 

"What if you SAW where the answers were locked up/awaited and you could work hard to deserve their trials, happily reconnecting with the source AT THE ORIGIN... goosebumps?

Do stuff, say things!

I will always listen if you do virtuosly".

Good sir, do you suffer from dementia? Are you off your meds? What is this "origin" you speak of? Do you wish to regress into a state of infancy? Or rather to a state preceding your birth? U N I N T E L L I G I B L E.

Hi @RichardY

Thanks but no thanks. (Very convoluted, I couldn't figure out the jumps many times but looong seconds later. I guess this is what it means when people tell me I skip too many steps, running up the staircase. Humbling reminder, thanks.)

I'm not comfortable with the continuation under (seems to me) the same standards you had followed. Too fragmented for me and I don't feel connected enough to be able to focus on what matters. I also see that if it continues we won't be having a dialogue and I'm not into monologues here and now. That's not saying I didn't have fun with what you had posted.

See you round,

Barnsley

P.S : Multitasking. Would worth a thread of its own. I did research (amateur) into it and so far it's 'cutting a cake into different sized slices, the cake never gets bigger. The smaller the slice(allocated attention) the hungrier(quality/efficiency) the kid'.

i. e.

If you had to send a sealed envelope with a stamp, a letter inside.. Would you be quicker & better done doing all at once (fold, place, stick, glue) or by proceeding each sub-task separately. (production line, tasks in blocks obviously. Even in art there are blocks) But I can understand why someone with exceptionally large base pool of attention can seemingly allocate from it without (seemingly, illusory) noticeable (to the average person) drop of performance.

Barnsley

The key to willpower is need

I originally said want, but to some degree there are some things we want but could live without.

But there are things that we want to the point that it becomes a need, and we do what we can to obtain that "thing"

59 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

this is original - this is my addition

55 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

The key to willpower is need

I originally said want, but to some degree there are some things we want but could live without.

But there are things that we want to the point that it becomes a need, and we do what we can to obtain that "thing"

Hi @GSTARR

You might not be happy to read what I've written but I'd like you to know, my intent is to help you understand my criticism and get better at it. I thought about what would be a good way to explain and provide good examples.

Have you missed the first post by any chance? or You didn't but preferred to skip it? (Either case, your free choice. I'm only noticing the lack of connection.)

I wouldn't say it's harmonious with the thread or preferably a constructive contribution, so far. (missing the point of the thread)

What do you mean when you use the word "key" ? (I can think of 3+ possible, yet different meanings: vice, requirement, way... etc.)

If I understand your logic correctly, according to what you put forward, willpower is analogous to... for example, eating.

i. e. in...

1 hour ago, GSTARR said:

But there are things that we want, like a sandwich to the point that it becomes a need, as in utter hunger and we do what we can to obtain that "food-thing"

That's, I would say is bad logic(well,just unproductive) because it's something like a circular argument. It's circular argumentation in fact.

By the way, someone before you had already made a circular argument. In this thread. Before. (I wonder... How much had you read of the thread?)

Regards,

Barnsley

On 12/9/2017 at 11:00 PM, barn said:

Were you lazy enough to not have read the first post?

On 12/9/2017 at 11:00 PM, barn said:

8 hours ago, barn said:

Have fun on your own, I'll wait until constructivity is present.

Responds to nothing in my response, insinuates that I ignored the original post. When asked for directions towards the original post, claims that the other party isn't being constructive and leaves. Quality cognitive dissonance, pathetic sophist.

Goodbye Barney. Hopefully they reboot your show. But knowing the nature of dinosaurs like yourself, I can't see it happening. 

On 11/14/2017 at 12:06 PM, barn said:

Willpower requires the recognition & acceptance of the one's true-self, it's fragility & uniqueness at the same time, because in order to possess clarity one must see and praise existing limitations.

and

In order to possess willpower it's greatly beneficial to make new 'mistakes' as much as humanely possible.

as in...

- consciousness is a 'gift/value to me'.

- no risk = no gain = no applied effects of existence = no different to inanimate, outside perceivable (could be, but why waste time)

- opportunity = a chance to fulfil potential and... maybe more... maybe, though very hard = 'cost of challenge' if pre-requisites met.

Barnsley

On 12/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, barn said:

Hi @GSTARR

You might not be happy to read what I've written but I'd like you to know, my intent is to help you understand my criticism and get better at it. I thought about what would be a good way to explain and provide good examples.

Have you missed the first post by any chance? or You didn't but preferred to skip it? (Either case, your free choice. I'm only noticing the lack of connection.)

I wouldn't say it's harmonious with the thread or preferably a constructive contribution, so far. (missing the point of the thread)

What do you mean when you use the word "key" ? (I can think of 3+ possible, yet different meanings: vice, requirement, way... etc.)

If I understand your logic correctly, according to what you put forward, willpower is analogous to... for example, eating.

i. e. in...

That's, I would say is bad logic(well,just unproductive) because it's something like a circular argument. It's circular argumentation in fact.

By the way, someone before you had already made a circular argument. In this thread. Before. (I wonder... How much had you read of the thread?)

Regards,

Barnsley

Barnsley can I ask you a personal question?

• 4 weeks later...

I have read books that have touched on the topic of willpower and in experimenting with it on my own, the way I would currently fill out this open-ended sentence completion approach to understanding the topic of willpower is:

Willpower requires desire and a belief in efficacy, because without desire, a person will stay in the current position that person is in, and without a belief in self-efficacy, the decision to act towards what is desired would be considered irrational.

and

In order to possess willpower it's greatly beneficial to be self-connected so that you know what you want and so you can be receptive to evidence that a goal that is desired is out of reach, if it turns out to be.

Hi @alerdz5

Thanks. That's a great contribution.(me thinks)

Can we say that willpower is only valuable when something that we aim to perform or reach has not been possible before, based on our current assessment(especially if we don't know whether anyone has acquired it, or we can't formulate probabilities)?

How much does desire differ from the decision, the choice of pursuit?

I think I know what you mean, here

2 hours ago, alerdz5 said:

and without a belief in self-efficacy, the decision to act towards what is desired would be considered irrational.

ie. If our aim is to cross a desert, ample preparation for the journey is required in order to increase the likelihood of success over the probability of lack of preparation resulting (and causal) in having to turn back.

(if my analogy is harmonious with your idea put forward...)

How one reaches validation in self-efficiency if the feat hasn't been performed before? Could it be solely faith? We can't assess self-efficiency post completion as it would be a requirement ahead of everything, wouldn't it be?

You're welcome, I would be more active myself if I had willpower broken down into the smallest pieces possible for my personal use. I don't see why it would be valuable exclusively in the case of actions being done for the first time. If a person does a second set of an exercise, for example, the required willpower for that set is equal, or more if the person is experiencing fatigue. The person in this example knows that it has been done before but that will do little to change the amount of willpower required.

Desire and the choice of pursuit are different and it's hard to say if both are required in willpower. Before a decision is made, can there be action? Once a decision to act has been made, is that the point where willpower comes into play? Making a decision can be an element to willpower but what separates running away from a dog that hopped over a fence from running a marathon?

An understanding of how to carry out an action could possibly be another factor. In your example of a man in the desert who wants to cross it, if this man was given a map with the wrong directions and followed these directions, he would end up in a place that was not the other side of the desert, but it is safe to say that most people would agree he made it there with his willpower.

There's the observation that "What one man can do, another can do". There are new actions that are tried and in these cases, if it is an entirely new course of action then I can see what was happening as being called "faith". If the action was carried out, then it could be said that there was a feeling of self-efficacy from the beginning, working under the assumption that it is required.

Hi

23 hours ago, alerdz5 said:

I would be more active myself if I had willpower broken down into the smallest pieces possible for my personal use.

If I had to guess, I would say you're referring to consistency achieved according to your standards in habits that you deem beneficial on the long run*. Like a healthy maintenance routine, such as daily exercises where you aren't skipping sets or components in your workout. Or keeping your place tidy... etc. Did I get what you've meant?

On 01/08/2018 at 8:20 AM, barn said:

Can we say that willpower is only valuable when something that we aim to perform or reach has not been possible before, based on our current assessment(especially if we don't know whether anyone has acquired it, or we can't formulate probabilities)?

->

I don't see why it would be valuable exclusively in the case of actions being done for the first time.[...]

There's a comforting element<1,2,3> to it

<1> when we are in the dynamic of repeating an action we've seen had brought about a positive outcome in the past, we managed to perform something successfully (even if partially). We remember how it played out, what was invested for what result achieved and therefore duplication isn't as hard compared to an unknown current scenario where you must possess faith too(my focus isn't faith) . Variations of this include, a past accomplishment that wasn't the same but <2> 'similar enough' to our new challenge (=that's why we're now extrapolating, assuming therefore probably also doable) or if a fellow man, like you mentioned..

"What one man can do, another can do".

<3> When ourself is compared to others in a much broader sense with less information available (resulting in lower probability assessed/gained due to the external nature vs. internal-experience-memory related experiences)

I look at willpower as the essential ingredient in encounters where the outcome is outside of empirical data, acting is hard and the whole encounter is post-decision. It doesn't matter if in the process things don't go swimmingly, we had made a decision to find out + have faith, so it's irrelevant what is 'at the end' (we can only be hopeful).

I might however get this whole thing wrong. :turned:

<a> Desire and the choice of pursuit are different and it's hard to say if both are required in willpower. <b>Before a decision is made, can there be action? <c> Once a decision to act has been made, is that the point where willpower comes into play? <d>Making a decision can be an element to willpower but what separates running away from a dog that hopped over a fence from running a marathon?

<a> Is it correct that desire is priori and requisite of a decision(ie. no decision is made without zero assessment of preferences/incentives).

<b> I don't think so. You can recognise previously unseen incentives but it's like this: 'Nobody tries to circumvent an obstacle that hasn't been noticed'

<c> This is something I struggle myself with and hope to uncover the truth or enough information to better understand it. Currently I believe that willpower is running parallel to it, though falls behind and 'failure' is observed.

<d> Perhaps they're essentially the same, acting on belief in harmony with a preferred outcome. Sure, there's the difference of deferral and flight/fight and other mechanisms in play but both are 'for something we desire to'.

An understanding of how to carry out an action could possibly be another factor. In your example of a man in the desert who wants to cross it, if this man was given a map with the wrong directions and followed these directions, he would end up in a place that was not the other side of the desert, but it is safe to say that most people would agree he made it there with his willpower.

{highlighted} That's a very important fact, while I think it is only relevant to the assessment one makes in hindsight, not to performing willpower itself (you're speaking about what an end result is seen as, not how an action is being carried out). Obviously, afterwards, he'll have to recognise the incompetence of the people who provided him with that map(or lack of connection) and his own failing for choosing appropriate 'helpers', furthermore the fact that he made a huge investment in an endeavour that resulted in a complete failure (regarding his end goal)

Sigh:sad:... he could have picked a random direction instead, even that would have been more probable to work out)

If the action was carried out, then it could be said that there was a feeling of self-efficacy from the beginning, working under the assumption that it is required.

Self-efficiency:

Right-o. So, self-efficiency is basically a positive response to personal incentives, part and parcel of the decision making process.

ie. I am crossing the desert tomorrow, I should go to sleep early not (self-sabotage) stay up late.

Thanks for your inputs, it has helped me a lot.

Was listening to an audio book recently "Thinkng fast and slow." Only listened to first 2 hours or so, so far. The premise of the book though goes along the lines of having "2 systems"("A useful fiction") related to thinking. System One: Automatic and always running, but disorganised. System Two: Ordered, but slow, also determines the "I" and involves physiological changes(pupil dilation). Reading some of The Art of argument maybe it could be comparable to System 1= Inductive Reasoning, System 2 = Deductive Reasoning.

The book also refered to having "Two Selves" Could be just a way of putting it in a different way to the unconscious and conscious mind. Also that attention is divided between the two systems. "The Invisible Gorilla".

Personally more System One Dominant: (Low Conscientiousness) than System Two  (High Conscientiousness).   

Was thinking how Germans are often High in Conscietiousness "an excess of Civilization" (something I remember J.Peterson saying when refering to Nazi Germany). It is possible to be High in Conscientiousness and not listen to "reason and evidence" or basically "brute, force & Ignorance"/Tyranny. I guess that would be stubborness.

Is "reason & evidence" really enough though? Other questions such as credibility come to mind and the distinction between willpower and stubborness, as I have said previously willpower requires an Ethos. 

"I'm going to cross that desert!!!"
"Why?"
"I don't care, I'm going to cross it anyway."
"Don't you have other priorities?"
"Maybe you should mind your own business."

Hi @RichardY

Hopefully we can make some better connections, this time. (That would be awesome.)

1 hour ago, RichardY said:

Was listening to an audio book recently "Thinkng fast and slow." Only listened to first 2 hours or so, so far. The premise of the book though goes along the lines of having "2 systems"("A useful fiction") related to thinking. System One: Automatic and always running, but disorganised. System Two: Ordered, but slow, also determines the "I" and involves physiological changes(pupil dilation). Reading some of The Art of argument maybe it could be comparable to System 1= Inductive Reasoning, System 2 = Deductive Reasoning.

I think you would greatly enjoy a documentary called 'Dishonesty the Truth About Lies' or something along the lines... been ages, since I last saw it.

It is a great introduction to system 1&2 among many other common social dynamics regarding the evaluation and processing of sense data. Have fun watching it!

The book also refered to having "Two Selves" Could be..

[...]

.. than System Two  (High Conscientiousness).

(given that humans haven't died out) 'There's a place for everything, everything has it's own place.'

The sorting and experiencing of information is done by different agents that are all part of the same unity, hence my liking to the MEco system (Stefan Molyneux) analogy, even if I know that biological 'wirings' must be included too. It isn't a perfect system and far from understood(epigenetics), but it's (the state of evolution) what we've got to work with. I'm constantly amazed (even today) by each and every new discovery that only yields 'two more' additional questions about how the mind works so much in harmony with the body and vice versa.

I'm here to ask and ask and observe and maybe ask some more when seeing something intriguing... I think we are only starting to scrape the surface of the mechanism that had been driving us here. (not enough efficiency at sorting, plenty of data... that's also why philosophy is soooo important)

Was thinking how Germans are often High in Conscietiousness "an excess of Civilization" (something I remember J.Peterson saying when refering to Nazi Germany). It is possible to be High in Conscientiousness and not listen to "reason and evidence" or basically "brute, force & Ignorance"/Tyranny. I guess that would be stubborness.

I don't have a clue other than the argument that child beating, being years on end treated with iron will does more harm on the long run than curiosity and nurturing behaviour would... that's me, I'm spent. Sorry, but I lack the proper historical depth to make a better argument.

Allow me to take a shot at it.

"I'm going to cross that desert!!!"

thinking (I don't care what's on the other side, sure as hell I might be anywhere else than here, there's only sweet, silent death... endless loops of stagnation that's what I see, here)

"Why?"

... Why not? Since neither is 'answerable' for me, lets call this 'my necessary experiment' to validate either of the questions.

The road behind me is where I came from. I have seen that. What's on the other side is... , that's... What's there?

True. But never had a recurring urge that just wouldn't fade no matter the time or the rationalisation I'd try to wrap it up in. Quite impressive, given solely how resistant it is. Awe inspiring, really.

"Maybe you should mind your own business."

Thought it, but chose not to say.

"Where was I? Ah, yes. The map... "

Barnsley

(given that humans haven't died out) 'There's a place for everything, everything has it's own place.'

The sorting and experiencing of information is done by different agents that are all part of the same unity, hence my liking to the MEco system (Stefan Molyneux) analogy, even if I know that biological 'wirings' must be included too. It isn't a perfect system and far from understood(epigenetics), but it's (the state of evolution) what we've got to work with. I'm constantly amazed (even today) by each and every new discovery that only yields 'two more' additional questions about how the mind works so much in harmony with the body and vice versa.

I'm here to ask and ask and observe and maybe ask some more when seeing something intriguing... I think we are only starting to scrape the surface of the mechanism that had been driving us here. (not enough efficiency at sorting, plenty of data... that's also why philosophy is soooo important)I don't have a clue other than the argument that child beating, being years on end treated with iron will does more harm on the long run than curiosity and nurturing behaviour would... that's me, I'm spent. Sorry, but I lack the proper historical depth to make a better argumen

Place for everything, though I do think low conscientiousness and high conscientiousness can compete on the surface the distinction would between say having a meadow vs a neatly trimmed lawn. I think in addition to Conscientiousness is also the phenomena of Consciousness, perhaps related to Neuroticism. Though high conscientiousness apparently(according to J.Petersons, tends to reduce neuroticism).

Listening to some more of "thinking fast and slow" System 1 is related to belief. Though system 2 is involved in "unbelief" & dogma or philosophy.(also was mentioned in the art of the Argument choosing between philosophy or dogma.) Exercising Philosophy or Dogma, perhaps related to developing more conscientiousness, though whether one causes the other not sure.

I don't have a clue other than the argument that child beating, being years on end treated with iron will does more harm on the long run than curiosity and nurturing behaviour would... that's me, I'm spent. Sorry, but I lack the proper historical depth to make a better argument.

Although from my experience Norwegians are high in conscientiousness as well, but I guess it depends on different areas, often a mix of personalities. I have met a couple of low conscientious Norwegians, but perhaps that just affirms the trend ( the I know a tall chinaman). Also I think that Scandanivan socieites are the least violent to their children. Who knows though specualting mostly, especially with Sweden setting up a scenario or at least no oppoisng a scenario likely "imho" to result in mass violence.

I'm going to cross that desert!!!"

Thinking. "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs," "Now I know what a TV dinner feels like." Die hard. 
In my own words, nice and comfy here, we have onions, melons. Thinking of Exodus

"Why?"

"Their's not to reason why."? Soldier on.

Cliche, but why did the chicken cross the road. 

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too..

"Maybe you should mind your own business".

So true. Perhaps to be busy is to be in a state of dis-ease, where as to be relaxed (non-busy?, "I'm busy relaxing.") is to be at ease. Now I wonder if he's going to make it across or the astronaut's rocket is going to explode....

Edited by RichardY
Duplicate paragraph

Are you familiar with the expression (probably are, just making sure..)

broken record

tautology

squirrel cage

... and I don't mean the content. That's pretty original. I can tell (89% certainty) it's not from a machine.

6 hours ago, RichardY said:

Place for everything, though I do think low conscientiousness and high conscientiousness can compete on the surface the distinction would between say having a meadow vs a neatly trimmed lawn. I think in addition to Conscientiousness is also the phenomena of Consciousness, perhaps related to Neuroticism.

You went back and re-read it didn't you? And it's still fragmented, right?(looks like a pre-, pre-, pre- draft)

... or

Listening to some more of "thinking fast and slow" System 1 is related to belief.

(don't know if you've seen... & what you thought of the title I mentioned, RELATED)Ok.

.Sure... , no obligation to pick up on a probable connection, let's proceed regardless.

... and

2x (twice... was it a dud?, haven't you noticed?, there's a meaning in the two colours I'm supposed to decipher?, you're still editing and using the forum as a word processor, it helps you in reducing the number of 'context switches'?...?/???) Ok.

(blk) I don't have a clue other than.. [..]

+ after

(blue) I don't have a clue other than[...]

and the the lovely Norwegians... :DIt made me laugh, so no worries just the transitioning is like a... ... (Ok.)

At this point I kinda realised it's a monologue...

I could go into the 'thought-rhymes' but, eh... to me it doesn't worth it, at this point. (Mel Gibson, Exodus, elemental curiosity... could have been nice, though)

I was going to be more constructive than what I've been, but after reading through the second time I was like

=

um-nevermind.jpg

"3 occurrences" - Jordan B. Peterson -

Pfft, calling the kettle black, your grammar & proof reading it isn't exactly perfect either, I'll bear in mind to watch my grammar more carefull . More interested in covering different information ideas related to Willpower in the mind of inquiry. "Would you like to know more?". Though the page has 800 views so far so maybe someone "will". 

Debate would be fine, If I say willpower comes from an "Ethos, which must be embodied, because the complexity of existence is too great to comprehend"  you say willpower comes from "integration at heart,  because with it is certainty." Then perhaps we already have an answer, which would perhaps be "philosophy". Maybe get to something irreducible "The human soul or something." Though rather than try and reduce to certainty(which would be no freewill), perhaps there is a way of affirming a positive Ethos, maybe there isn't. Perhaps to burn off, whatever delusions people have about the world is enough, so what is left is your soul if you have one.

2 occurences of J.Peterson. (I like to weight ideas, by credibility & cross-referencing). 

The Blue(Your response) & Black (My response). Do this to keep the page compact, perhaps word processor like, but I in general don't care, however I can squeeze more information from the forum. Duplicate paragraph. 

What exactly are you trying to do construct or desconstruct "Willpower comes from _____".

Hi @RichardY

I'm sorry to see that you're doubling down. Sort of expected it based on multiple previous negative (subjective) experiences, I was still hopeful somewhat..

On 01/13/2018 at 12:41 AM, barn said:

Hopefully we can make some better connections, this time. (That would be awesome.)

p. s. Don't mind the grrrrmer or the far out ideas. My discontent is with your lack of

° intention for making connections,

° circling back

° considering my asks

and on top of that I perceive your writing as a person who does zero effort whatsoever to try to be 'digestible' (I honestly experience this)

... while these are my subjective criticisms, I do hope it helps you see why I've lost all interest being in a convo with you as long as you keep doubling down.

Surely some people don't mind your style, I do. 

Dunno, man... perhaps you were never interested in a conversation and just wanted a larger exposure for your monologues.

54 minutes ago, RichardY said:

Though the page has 800 views so far so maybe someone "will".

Ok. That's fine with me.

All the best,

Barnsley

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.