Gold or silver...which to invest it? And what kind?

Crusader1986

Hello everyone, so as you may have seen from one of my earlier posts, I am concerned about the future eg a collapse of the world economy, the stock markets crashing, civilizational meltdown. As a result I've decided and am committed to buying up some gold and/or silver. However I am completely clueless in this matter and could do with some good advice. Question is should I invest in gold or silver? Or maybe both? And are there any types of gold or silver that I should prioritise in getting my hands on and others that should be avoided? And what are the most trustworthy sources to acquire gold or silver from? And should I store all my gold/silver at home or should it be stashed up somewhere else?  Sorry for all the questions!

My opinions:

I'm a huge fan of Combibars. You can get them from Peter Schiff's brokerage.

What's so neat about them, is they fit into your wallet like a credit card, and you can break off little pieces as needed (like a chocolate bar).

I personally dislike silver's volatility, but hey, the bar comes in gold or silver (and platinum??).

I've heard Peter Schiff advise people to keep some on person, but mostly stashed. As for gold funds, they defeat the purpose since the gold will be inaccessible when the collapse happens.

2 hours ago, Crusader1986 said:

Hello everyone, so as you may have seen from one of my earlier posts, I am concerned about the future eg a collapse of the world economy, the stock markets crashing, civilizational meltdown. As a result I've decided and am committed to buying up some gold and/or silver. However I am completely clueless in this matter and could do with some good advice. Question is should I invest in gold or silver? Or maybe both? And are there any types of gold or silver that I should prioritise in getting my hands on and others that should be avoided? And what are the most trustworthy sources to acquire gold or silver from? And should I store all my gold/silver at home or should it be stashed up somewhere else?  Sorry for all the questions!

BitCoin originally was a great investment (initially) being among one of the first real digital currency then, they went full fucking retard, turned it into regular currency, and devalued it. I am not saying, you cannot make money on it but, when it wasn't a government regulated/based currency, it had infinite more value. As with gold, silver or anything; take the Peter Drucker example from one of his books. His father came into some money. He went all in on a business venture which was a coffee maker. Think POKER, CALL >>>> :ALL IN!" This happened just before the stock market crash and great depression. Imagine how things went when shit went tips up? 

Needless to say, EVERY SUCCESSFUL INVESTOR WILL TELL YOU TO DIVERSIFY YOUR PORTFOLIO!

I am a investor but, a complete amateur to some of those out there be it online or wherever. Seek experts but, I am willing to bet, they will give you the same advice and for much less. 

The obvious is, to have a 401K. Save minimum 10% on every dollar. If you don't see it, you wont touch it so, have it come off your pay and allocated accordingly. Real estate IMHO is a great investment but, like anything, there is a shit ton of risk involved and one wrong LTR/DIVORCE/SEPARATION, and you could kiss it all goodbye. With that said, I would never move a gf/woman/wife into my current household or staking ALL IN. 

Hi @Crusader1986

[disclaimer: I had/have not invested in either.]

1. {'zero' argument really} Investment made in your own skillset&health, intrinsically adapted to one's inclinations/the zeitgeist of the surroundings is I believe worth and retains value the most, while broadens sphere of influence/lowers opportunity costs most reliably, gradually improving over time. (traditionally they were considered as: entry level polymath skills)

i.e.: I wouldn't be able to produce a pencil from scratch, build a kiln, identity iron ore from bauxite in it's natural occurrence or simply weave a shoddy looking basket... well, maybe I could do a miserable basket... perhaps. Furthermore, rotting teeth has the tendency to spoil an otherwise productive and sunny day.

2. What's more important I guess is the security/mobility/flexibility of such investments.

Consider :

a.  volumetric / weight (if you plan on staying on this planet, mass 'n gravity stuff 'y know :-} ) consequences keeping in mind the price correlation too and that it's not constant, likewise the proportions you'll be disposing the stored up resources. Properties of available storage?

a/1 - Will you be willing to dislocate(carrying capacity, diversification)?

a/2 - Will you be having an access to a top of the line communication system(you wouldn't want to sell/buy under)?

b. coins, bars, wearables, off-site variations... what works / would work for you the best differs regarding time lines and levels of uncertainty in society. (willingness and solutions to self-defense will play into)

c. the type of scenario to which you are adjusting your expectations (you could end up starving to death, not having a steady supply of isolated food production unit, gold/silver isn't consumable and might be less valuable... unlikely? Well, according to geological samples we should be well into yet another ice-age already. The like that'd brought the invention of chimneys, tapestry, had a heavy hand in separation of classes... etc.)

d. perception, appearance / alternatives - resulting in same/good enough outcomes. What you don't possess can't be taken from you even with the use of coercion. Why appear / put yourself in a position where you could be percieved/to be found in needing. I say it's better to be provided for. (due to virtues of course, naturally)

Barnsley

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Mike Maloney is great!  As for how prepared I am I have a good 2-3 weeks worth of food stashed up in the cupboard as well as 12 bottles of water. Not a great amount but it's a start. Did some research earlier and found some canned food that doesn't contain any BPA, which means eating from those cans doesn't carry the risk of getting cancer so within the next few days I'll be stocking up on another couple months of canned food. I'm almost decided in investing in some silver but not sure which suppliers/companies to buy from, does anyone here have any recommendations as to which companies would be good to buy silver from?

Was watching one of Stefan's older videos with Woody Obrien and learned some real good stuff there. Go to eFoodsDirect, they've got some really useful products there. Also get in contact with your local farmers and food producers and ask them if they'd be willing to trade in another currency. Would put you at an advantage as it makes sense that they'd rather do business with you if they've met and got to know you before rather than some unknown entity who've they've never known before. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I always thought Silver was less volatile than Gold, excluding the slight temporary volatility of today and still a very small percentage.

When holding silver for use, silver pre-1964 quarters are accessible standardized and the right size for trade.

The gold credit card is good too, but the value is much larger, better for larger purchases if larger purchases can happen. The probability than people can afford to store that much value in a metal is less likely. If people are living on $1 a day, storing $50 in a tiny piece of gold might be a problem.

7 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

Just don’t look at Greece. 

Let me rephrase: The US government can't go bankrupt, because it can issue its own currency.

Greece can't because it was stupid enough to give its national sovereignty of currency issuing over to the European Central Bank. Plus it listens to globalist idiots telling them they need austerity and to reduce spending, which sends any country into its economic demise.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, Crusader1986 said:

Yeah Mike Maloney is great!  As for how prepared I am I have a good 2-3 weeks worth of food stashed up in the cupboard as well as 12 bottles of water. Not a great amount but it's a start. Did some research earlier and found some canned food that doesn't contain any BPA, which means eating from those cans doesn't carry the risk of getting cancer so within the next few days I'll be stocking up on another couple months of canned food. I'm almost decided in investing in some silver but not sure which suppliers/companies to buy from, does anyone here have any recommendations as to which companies would be good to buy silver from?

I've always gotten the feeling that Mike Maloney sounds like a snake oil salesman tbh, even though I agree with most of what he says.

If you're in a survival situation, BPA and cancer won't be your first concern. Also, if you're serious about this, I suggest going mainly for bulk, something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tY7GT-kMpY

Just make sure to know how to properly store them for the long term.

About precious metals, I suggest you try to pay as low a premium above spot as you can. That will of course depend on how and where you're buying it. I've heard many people say that they don't mind paying $22 an ounce for silver when it's $16 because that's only $6 extra per ounce, and when it goes up to $500 they won't care that they paid $6 more for them. That's not the right way to think about this. Because if you have $2000 to invest, and you buy at $16 an ounce, that's 125oz, but at $22 it's only 91oz. Meaning if and when it gets to $500, you'll be left with $62,500 in the first case, but only $45,500 in the second case.

Silver will have much bigger ups and bigger downs than gold, and in the long term it will go up a lot more. But it's also much more difficult and expensive to store, and depending on where you are and your chosen method for buying them, it may also be a lot more difficult (and expensive) to buy.

US currency is just paper. Admittedly it would be hard for US to devalue currency because other countries devalue their currency at the same rate, but it is possible.

If the US continues on the same trajectory, it isn’t a matter of if, but when. When a $20 trillion note loses value, below the paper value the government goes bankrupt. US credit rating dropped once under Obama.

2 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

If the US continues on the same trajectory, it isn’t a matter of if, but when. When a $20 trillion note loses value, below the paper value the government goes bankrupt. US credit rating dropped once under Obama.

US can't go bankrupt. It creates its own currency.

Country credit ratings are made-up nonsense.

The paper is already valueless on its own. The reason it has value is because the government demands it in taxes. It will retain its value as long as that occurs.

The government goes completely and unrecoverably bankrupt when no one will accept their currency.

So long as there are people willing to accept fiat currency, it retains the value people place on it. Gold has little intrinsic value compared to steel outside of the world of electronics. Steel has a safer value if people abandon electronics, steel’s strength and temperature resistance would continue to be valuable in a post apocalyptic world were people may have little need for shiny metals as merely a method to store value (so arbitrarily).

Dylan, I get that you don’t think a government can go bankrupt. I disagree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.