Should I get Vaccinated?

Spladam

8 hours ago, Spladam said:

I already have Autism, so it doesn't really matter if vaccines cause autism. 

Other than that, are there any reasons as to why I shouldn't get a vaccine which may be life-saving?

Obviously, you're asking the wrong crowd (imho, as a whole, from a medical standpoint).

Speak with professionals, get a second opinion.

Look up trusted sources, do the math yourself.

Contrast your medical history to those who already received 'shots' and weigh the negative consequences of the other side too.

All in all, I have this highly intellectual contribution to remind you of superficiality..

Barnsley

IMG_20171208_135621.jpg

I'm not a medic but my impression is that things are a bit more nuanced than the orthodox "vaccination is perfectly safe". While I've not seen good arguments against the standard vaccinations in developed countries, there are a number of vaccines (yellow fever, oral polio vaccine, anthrax come to mind) that seem to be on the borderline between doing more harm than good, depending on context. The execution of some third world vaccination programmes is brutal, ignoring the contraindications that would be taken into account in developed countries, and those contraindications are much more common in resource-poor environments, so it's quite possible that those programmes do kill a significant number of children, while saving others of course. In the specific case of the trials of the largely ineffective new malaria vaccine, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up killing more African children than they save; on the face of it, it's strange that those trials are going ahead.

19 minutes ago, Somewhere said:

I'm not a medic but my impression is that things are a bit more nuanced than the orthodox "vaccination is perfectly safe". While I've not seen good arguments against the standard vaccinations in developed countries, there are a number of vaccines (yellow fever, oral polio vaccine, anthrax come to mind) that seem to be on the borderline between doing more harm than good, depending on context. The execution of some third world vaccination programmes is brutal, ignoring the contraindications that would be taken into account in developed countries, and those contraindications are much more common in resource-poor environments, so it's quite possible that those programmes do kill a significant number of children, while saving others of course. In the specific case of the trials of the largely ineffective new malaria vaccine, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up killing more African children than they save; on the face of it, it's strange that those trials are going ahead.

Exactly.

{If I've extracted your meaning correctly.}

Correlation itself isn't proof.

Execution is equally or more important than the aim, failing to maintain high enough standards will ruin the effectiveness.

Giving a 'sextant' to a child doesn't mean it will be able to navigate the seas.

Barnsley

Full disclosure: I'm an ex-vaxxer. 

You didn't say what vaccine. That is important. Once you know, go to the CDC and FDA websites where you will find product inserts (FDA website) listing all of the associatied side effects and contraindications and the VIS (CDC website). You can ask your doctor but he or she is unlikely to have the product inserts. The nursing staff will not have them readily available either. However, I do recommend asking them if they have them. A secondary question might be to ask if they have ever read one.

The VIS is different. They should have the VIS. That is the Vaccine Information Sheet. It contains a much briefer list of possible side effects and contraindications. On the back is the contact information for the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) and Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP). the VIS is required by law to be handed to patients. I've included a sample VIS and product insert for TD below. 

Here is a sample VIS from CDC: TD (Tetanus and Diptheria)

Here is the link to the generic vaccine manufacturer insert: Manufacturer insert (required) TD (generic)

Another question you might ask the doctor and the nurse is what they learned in medical/nursing school about vaccines. If they are truthful, they will tell you they were handed the vaccine schedule and given instructions on how to handle the vials of vaccine and how to administer the shots. 

Get both of the above documents for the vaccine you are considering. Read them. Ask questions of your medical professionals. If they brush you off, my recommendation is to find another. If they tell you they will no longer see you as a patient if you refuse a vaccine, get another physician. You should always have choice without threat. Vaccines are like any other pharmaceutical product, some people have really, really bad reactions. And you never know until after the deed is done which you will be and there is no taking it back. It's much like Russian Roulette. 

Educate yourself and then make an INFORMED decision. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

'The truth about vaccines' is a nice documentary series with experts on vaccines, that will add a lot to your knowledge base before making a decision.

For my own personal opinion at the moment, it goes something like, Vaccines = Toxic = Worse health = More disease = Weaker immune system

On 12/10/2017 at 10:46 AM, villagewisdom said:

Full disclosure: I'm an ex-vaxxer. 

You didn't say what vaccine. That is important. Once you know, go to the CDC and FDA websites where you will find product inserts (FDA website) listing all of the associatied side effects and contraindications and the VIS (CDC website). You can ask your doctor but he or she is unlikely to have the product inserts. The nursing staff will not have them readily available either. However, I do recommend asking them if they have them. A secondary question might be to ask if they have ever read one.

The VIS is different. They should have the VIS. That is the Vaccine Information Sheet. It contains a much briefer list of possible side effects and contraindications. On the back is the contact information for the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) and Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP). the VIS is required by law to be handed to patients. I've included a sample VIS and product insert for TD below. 

Here is a sample VIS from CDC: TD (Tetanus and Diptheria)

Here is the link to the generic vaccine manufacturer insert: Manufacturer insert (required) TD (generic)

Another question you might ask the doctor and the nurse is what they learned in medical/nursing school about vaccines. If they are truthful, they will tell you they were handed the vaccine schedule and given instructions on how to handle the vials of vaccine and how to administer the shots. 

Get both of the above documents for the vaccine you are considering. Read them. Ask questions of your medical professionals. If they brush you off, my recommendation is to find another. If they tell you they will no longer see you as a patient if you refuse a vaccine, get another physician. You should always have choice without threat. Vaccines are like any other pharmaceutical product, some people have really, really bad reactions. And you never know until after the deed is done which you will be and there is no taking it back. It's much like Russian Roulette. 

Educate yourself and then make an INFORMED decision. Good luck. 

cheers, I'm not American so I'll try to find the Australian equivalents to the sources you linked. Also, the vaccine is for Meningococcal, which is only treatable with a vaccine and we are starting to see an outbreak of it where I live, so I think I'll be getting it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.