Finding a Job (Engineer)

Jsbrads

I’ve graduated a while ago now. Spent very little time working in my chosen field. Spent lots of time scrambling to support myself in all sorts of jobs.

Just figured I’d ask if anyone had any ideas I haven’t thought of:

I try to network. Online searches which include all of US and international job searches. Tried the professional associations. Tried to get help from professors and classmates.

Hi @Jsbrads

1 hour ago, Jsbrads said:

I’ve graduated a while ago now. Spent very little time working in my chosen field. Spent lots of time scrambling to support myself in all sorts of jobs.

Just figured I’d ask if anyone had any ideas I haven’t thought of:

I try to network. Online searches which include all of US and international job searches. Tried the professional associations. Tried to get help from professors and classmates.

What is that you are consistently (, for real) doing and it's related to the field you're in?

i.e. If you were a designer, do you actually pursue all the activities hands on or just in abstract?

- building a model, materialising ideas in small scale in the real world...

- training yourself in skills closely associated (presentation, sales, keeping up to date)

- etc.

But, most importantly!!!

° What is that you do for free within the field you're in because you just want to do it?

° Rolemodel? How did they do it? How are you going to replicate their arc?

° Can you give succinct, short, deeply motivating and interconnected answers to the questions of :

- What(?) ___________________________

- Why(?) ____________________________

- How(?) ____________________________

Barnsley

• Upvote 1

Trying to skip rungs or the intermediary steps won't work, I guarantee you that.

That’s why the aim was for foundational "What little, but existing tangible feats could be expanded further"... in short.

Given how big your desired goal is compared to the current stage you are in, aiming for failing at a lot of things (in action!!!) should be embraced by you.

(But that won't happen unless you have succinct, deep, interconnected answers to the 3 Wh- questions.)

Hope, this helps.

5 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

I used to post it to twitter a couple times every week, but never got anywhere with it. 

I don't think that answers my question. (no obligation, just noticing it... also, let me clarify)

While, certainly it would explain why you said...

13 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

I have a website for some ideas, but I doubt more than a person or two sees it.

If you thought that the ideas were worth sharing, your perspective&attitude would be different on it.

As in... Of course, nobody cares about your ideas (no offence). The world is full of them(innovation, new perspectives). In the thickness of the noise, you gotta break through somehow to be noticed. Making people see just how valuable it is that you have to offer. However, in order to do that you must be convinced, those ideas worth not giving up after a few hurdles. (not getting traction is just that, an initial hurdle that indicates the need for refinement... though you interpretation is completely different.)

That's why I concluded what I wrote, because it seems you lack motivation/drive big time... and I was curious if it was due to the ideas being weak (hard to believe in them for you) in the first place. Or perhaps it's related to self esteem...can't tell. Too little information is available from you.

If you aren't 'visibly' enthusiastic about the thing, why do you expect anyone to be captivated enough to give it a go or invest their time in it, checking it out?

What do you think?

Have I explained myself clear enough?

I appreciate I either haven’t done enough to get hired or the world is rule by such random chance that someone who tries won’t get hired.

The big question isn’t what bothers me. It is the lack of income, purpose, companionship.

i appreciate the challenge, you are the first to try, I have challenged myself too over the years. I haven’t figured it out yet.

Any advice?

17 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

I appreciate I either haven’t done enough to get hired or the world is rule by such random chance that someone who tries won’t get hired.

Perhaps, just maybe... Could be there some other reasons? (i.e. less "dead-end" restricted reasoning. Say, some perspective that's based on curiosity and leads you to more input to further refine your assessment?)

The big question isn’t what bothers me. It is the lack of income, purpose, companionship.

I empathise. I really do.

Say, you had envied those...(nothing wrong with a healthy dose of envy, if it's implemented into follow up actions)

Have you asked them what it took to get to living a meaningful life?

I haven’t figured it out yet.

At times (personal experience) no amount of figuring yields any sort of change.

What if you just picked a good direction and kept at it, bookmarking the current questions to revisit once you had moved around a considerable amount.

Wouldn't you gain a better understanding in the process while also inching nearer to better income, a higher chance of finding true companionship, a firmer grip on your unique purpose further helping you boiling things down?

"Wax on, wax off."

Interesting... I might have misread your meaning.

In that case, how about this (?) :

forget good looking and solid gals who are more intelligent and most likely well principled (broadly speaking). That way, you don't need to stand out and still have many dates.

(the zero argument is... Hypergamy

male = for looks

female = for resources)

Edited by barn
the "0" argument

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.