Mortgages are bullshit!

Dylan Lawrence Moore

On 3/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, Siegfried von Walheim said:

I understand (though that is "fiscally responsible" since honest men pay their debts), I think. So basically borrow money to pay for something that will likely profit now because the debt can presumably be covered and the result is a net profit that would otherwise never be made. The principle sounds simple enough, though I assume it's far more complicated when it involves large sums of money where the consequences of a bad investment could lead to a hard to repay debt.

I would agree that it means that, but often people use it to mean "think of reasons why you can't afford things". For example, when I tell people about my real estate deal I'm working on, they will often say, "I would like to do that, but you gotta have money to get started." And I say, "Sure, but it doesn't have to be your money. I'm using someone else's money for mine." To which they generally laugh nervously and change the subject.

For that HUD job I described, my business partner and I could have approached with the attitude: "Well, we can't afford the 6-8k to clean it up, so I guess we can't do the job." Money is everywhere; it's flying around and you just have to learn how to use it. I blame the public educational system, where we seem to pick up that IF YOU DIDN'T SPECIFIC WORK AN HOURLY WAGE TO EARN IT BY THE SWEAT OF YOUR BROW, THEN YOU CAN'T USE IT.

This is also why I'm a big advocate of NO gold standard. Money isn't a commodity, it's an idea that allows us to keep tabs on each other.

For the rest of your post, sounds pretty good. I think you will find the rest of that book useful.

29 minutes ago, Dylan Lawrence Moore said:

I would agree that it means that, but often people use it to mean "think of reasons why you can't afford things". For example, when I tell people about my real estate deal I'm working on, they will often say, "I would like to do that, but you gotta have money to get started." And I say, "Sure, but it doesn't have to be your money. I'm using someone else's money for mine." To which they generally laugh nervously and change the subject.

Interesting is how it's not that complicated once it's understood (from what I can tell). I imagine the hard part is getting that first loan and getting those first few handshakes to get a job agreed upon to get done.

For that HUD job I described, my business partner and I could have approached with the attitude: "Well, we can't afford the 6-8k to clean it up, so I guess we can't do the job." Money is everywhere; it's flying around and you just have to learn how to use it. I blame the public educational system, where we seem to pick up that IF YOU DIDN'T SPECIFIC WORK AN HOURLY WAGE TO EARN IT BY THE SWEAT OF YOUR BROW, THEN YOU CAN'T USE IT.

Funny thing is you are getting it by the sweat of your brow! 

This is also why I'm a big advocate of NO gold standard. Money isn't a commodity, it's an idea that allows us to keep tabs on each other.

That's an interesting point to make. Do you mean you favor government-controlled money system or theoretically fine with a money system without government control of it? I understand this is a bit of a tangent and I'm not particularly wise as to what is best. I would assume gold is best to encourage economic investment and therefore growth but I am hardly an economist. I don't know if you intend to make a video on the subject... But if you do, I think it'd be a good one for the theoreticians but perhaps not as practically useful as the ones you've already made.

That being said, it is certainly my responsibility to educate myself rather than put it on you. And I cannot adequately debate something with someone who seems to know something I don't about a subject as important as whether the money ought to be trust-based/supply-based or gold-backed or something else. 

For the rest of your post, sounds pretty good. I think you will find the rest of that book useful.

Thank you. You have been very helpful already. :thanks:

On 3/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, Siegfried von Walheim said:

Interesting is how it's not that complicated once it's understood (from what I can tell). I imagine the hard part is getting that first loan and getting those first few handshakes to get a job agreed upon to get done.

Honestly, I think the relationships are more important than the money. I think this is also one of the more destructive aspects of the public schooling system: testing and accomplishment is always measured by what you can do by yourself, while successful and powerful people use their relationships as leverage. The saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know" is no joke.

But yes, getting your name out there originally is tough. So far I've found the best way to do it is to bust ass and get the job done. People will notice and remember you.

That's an interesting point to make. Do you mean you favor government-controlled money system or theoretically fine with a money system without government control of it? I understand this is a bit of a tangent and I'm not particularly wise as to what is best. I would assume gold is best to encourage economic investment and therefore growth but I am hardly an economist. I don't know if you intend to make a video on the subject... But if you do, I think it'd be a good one for the theoreticians but perhaps not as practically useful as the ones you've already made.

I don't know if you've been watching my MMT videos (also on my channel), but there isn't any historical evidence of non-state money. Even when money was gold, it was money not because the free market traded it, but because the government demanded it in taxes. Ultimately I'm an anarchist, so I prefer no state anything. However, we have yet to graduate out of that system, and for the time being the government controls money. I think if we ever plan on graduating to non-governmental currencies, we need to understand how the governmental ones work in the first place. Saying "gold is money" over and over again doesn't accomplish this.

Thank you. You have been very helpful already. :thanks:

Sure thing! We need more people who are capable of and desiring after reason to become powerful. Money is an important component of that.

1 hour ago, Dylan Lawrence Moore said:

Honestly, I think the relationships are more important than the money. I think this is also one of the more destructive aspects of the public schooling system: testing and accomplishment is always measured by what you can do by yourself, while successful and powerful people use their relationships as leverage. The saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know" is no joke.

I think I already knew that. After all money is only as valuable as it is willed to be while good friends are, by merit, a very real asset and priceless. Business friends may not have the intimacy of good friends but they are a big reason why some businessmen do well. As I've read/heard in Rich Dad, Poor Dad, I will most certainly treat those that help me and assist me in attaining wealth well and ensure I can return the favor. I am almost certain the real karma of this world comes from attracting good, talented people.

But yes, getting your name out there originally is tough. So far I've found the best way to do it is to bust ass and get the job done. People will notice and remember you.

I have heard this elsewhere. Once I've finished my book and gotten my free and priceless education, I intend to make good on that. I expect I'll have to be growing my audience as well as my circle of reliable people. I am not sure yet how I will do that but I know this is a time of near limitless opportunity with solutions waiting to be conceived of.

I am tempted to ply my writing talents in politics as a way of demonstrating myself; however this might turn off some people and also time spent writing about politics could be time not spent writing about something else that could be either more profitable or more eye-catching or both. I think, based on what I understand to be my talents, I should apply writing and demonstrate myself as someone worth listening to and in doing so earn traffic to my book, and with the resultant money I could then begin life as an amateur investor in a corporation of 1. I learned from Rich Dad, Poor Dad that corporations are really tax-shields as their main function is the ability to have pre-tax money to plausibly re-invest and minimize actual taxed money. I don't know if I can legally arrange it so I am the leader of a corporation of 1 that deals in writing, (self perhaps) publishing, and investing but I will definitely do my homework on the subject since I think I can really do well if I combine my writing talents with financial literacy and what I must learn in how to market and spread the word. After all, to use a paraphrase, it doesn't matter if I can make the best burger in the world if I cannot sell it.

I don't know if you've been watching my MMT videos (also on my channel), but there isn't any historical evidence of non-state money. Even when money was gold, it was money not because the free market traded it, but because the government demanded it in taxes. Ultimately I'm an anarchist, so I prefer no state anything. However, we have yet to graduate out of that system, and for the time being the government controls money. I think if we ever plan on graduating to non-governmental currencies, we need to understand how the governmental ones work in the first place. Saying "gold is money" over and over again doesn't accomplish this.

I have not, but I will now I know it exists and may be educational and applicable in the real-world for me. 

Sure thing! We need more people who are capable of and desiring after reason to become powerful. Money is an important component of that.

I agree. It is my ambition to be so successful that I am not only the breadwinner of a family of 7 but also able to not-work and spend much time raising my children (and eventually retire) for decades. That might be beyond my reach, or it might not. Depends on what I learn and how I apply it, I think. Ultimately I think financial literacy has been some of the best education I've ever received. I definitely intend to re-listen and re-think after I finish Rich Dad, Poor Dad and whatever else Robet Kiyosaki and similar types have to offer since I think that would be the best way to both ensure I get the lesson and stimulate myself to come up with a plan of action. 

The key, I think, is in my ability to absorb the information and make good use of it. I do have worries and hesitation and even some anxiety about applying this in the real world, but I am far more afraid of not leaving the rat race and elevating myself both in terms of assets and in terms of character. I also find myself increasingly confident as I acquire new information about this subject and attempt to apply it to my neck of the woods. I just want to make sure I'm neither excessively confident nor excessively anxious. After all, every failure that sticks in my memory was either the result of arrogance or cowardice. And I owe it to myself and my unborn children to be the kind of man I've always desired to emulate. 

Edited by Siegfried von Walheim

1 minute ago, Dylan Lawrence Moore said:

Better to fuck something up and learn than never do it at all.

I totally agree. Besides failing from cowardice or arrogance, I regret my inactions. 

I live in a time where risk is largely minimized. I understand that very well and that's why I'm generally cool and even, and I didn't used to be. I don't want to flatter but I really mean "thank you" because you've definitely helped steer me into an educational direction and might be indirectly responsible for me becoming a really rich man (both materially and mentally). 

At the very least, given I have but a short life, I would like to live my life without regrets. And that's why I act!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.