When are values worth living?

FutureBankRobber

Hello reason and evidence cultists,

recently I've been questioning more and more if my values are worth living, because they're often in the way of facilitating my life. A little bit of background: I consider myself a anarchist much inline with the likes of Stefan Molyneux and Michael Malice, I agree with UPB and try to live my life according to it.  In my country, a public job is the easiest ticket for a tranquil life - one which I'm in most dire need, and I'm at constant temptation at getting employed as a public server.

I live with my girlfriend and she isn't much of a political person, she understands and supports me in everything that I do. I've never felt directly pressured on trying for a public job, but at the same time I want to give her a better life and this is the easiest legal way of improving both of our lives. It doesn't help that I get really depressed if I'm working at a dead-end job. I always thought I was a smart guy, or at the very least above average, but after catastrophically failing college I've began to despise formal education in such a way that I really, really don't want to go to college. On good days I'm sure I could pass the entrance exam on most courses, on bad days I don't even consider. It doesn't help that school was very easy for me and I never developed a studying habit.

When I mentioned that a public job is the easiest legal way of facilitating my life, is because the easiest way is just robbing a goddamn bank. I don't lie to myself thinking I'll be a robbing hood because, before I started considering myself a anarchist I was a extreme individualist much like Ayn Rand, but without the talent. I know bad people who would be more than willing to do it with me and I know smarter people that could give insight on my heinous plan.

My life is at stalemate. I work at a job that I like but it has very little security, but it's a dead-end.  I've payed for courses which have only costed my money and if it were possible to be bankrupt in my country, I would probably had declared it twice. The only thing going right is my little Easter home made eggs which turns a little profit each year, but I have no idea how to expand these products year round. How do you find strength to keep your head held high and live your values even when they're counter productive to your life?

Michael Malice is not an Anarchist, from watching a few debates between him and Tom Woods a while ago, I think his political viewpoint is an Alexander Hamilton style "Aristocratic Republic". Where as Tom Woods, (a friend of his) is more a Thomas Jefferson style Republic, which would be much more in line with and ultimately, Anarcho Capitalism. Oddly was thinking about that today. Personally agree with Michael Malice Pragmatically, Tom Woods Ideally. Pragmaticism wins in my mind.....   

1 hour ago, barn said:

Sorry, wrong place.

or

Was it a bad joke?

Barnsley

A bad joke.

5 minutes ago, RichardY said:

Michael Malice is not an Anarchist, from watching a few debates between him and Tom Woods a while ago, I think his political viewpoint is an Alexander Hamilton style "Aristocratic Republic". Where as Tom Woods, (a friend of his) is more a Thomas Jefferson style Republic, which would be much more in line with and ultimately, Anarcho Capitalism. Oddly was thinking about that today. Personally agree with Michael Malice Pragmatically, Tom Woods Ideally. Pragmaticism wins in my mind.....   

Malice himself have said in multiple occasions that he's a anarchist (his mock debate against Stefan). But that's really besides the point of this topic.

16 minutes ago, FutureBankRobber said:

A bad joke.

Malice himself have said in multiple occasions that he's a anarchist (his mock debate against Stefan). But that's really besides the point of this topic.

Yeah, although I don't consider the Ayn Rand Nigthwatchmen State(MinAnarchist) to be Anarchist. Empirically or at heart?

I think it's at the heart of the matter, Idealism vs Pragmatism, thinking of perspectives... Any better ideas? 

18 minutes ago, FutureBankRobber said:

A bad joke.

Hi @FutureBankRobber

No problem, wanted to check with you.

The lure of an easy way out is always going to be an option, until you have really internalised its cost.

Having read what you provided, I dare to take the guess that you've never felt really engaged in something bigger than you or challenged by a higher purpose or a large enough goal to achieve.

Am I completely off base?

2 minutes ago, barn said:

Hi @FutureBankRobber

No problem, wanted to check with you.

The lure of an easy way out is always going to be an option, until you have really internalised its cost.

Having read what you provided, I dare to take the guess that you've never felt really engaged in something bigger than you or challenged by a higher purpose or a large enough goal to achieve.

Am I completely off base?

No, not off base at all. I've entertained the thought of trying something higher or getting a career, but I really don't know what to do. I just know what I don't want to do.

Then, I wouldn't go making big decisions at all. I (personally) would do a detailed inventory first, ask myself the stern question with a booming voice : Who ARE you?

I mean, have you considered doing Jordan B. Peterson's past authoring suit?

7 minutes ago, barn said:

Then, I wouldn't go making big decisions at all. I (personally) would do a detailed inventory first, ask myself the stern question with a booming voice : Who ARE you?

I mean, have you considered doing Jordan B. Peterson's past authoring suit?

I have considered. It's weird, I don't mind spending 20usd on video game cosmetic items but I thought it was too expensive the same 20usd to buy Dr. Peterson's test.

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Why would you invest into realising your true potential, when hedonism can give you a quick way out into oblivion...(empathetic smirk)

The choice is yours, now it's you who dictates your life's terms.

I don't think I can come up with a more compelling argument, here, now, in the ad-hoc moment of things.

You're a smart guy. (I'm probably not mistaken in that neither)

3 hours ago, barn said:

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Why would you invest into realising your true potential, when hedonism can give you a quick way out into oblivion...(empathetic smirk)

The choice is yours, now it's you who dictates your life's terms.

I don't think I can come up with a more compelling argument, here, now, in the ad-hoc moment of things.

You're a smart guy. (I'm probably not mistaken in that neither)

Yeah, I really think you have a point. I'll just buy the program this month and see if I can discover a new path for myself.

My advice is to read (or listen to the free audiobook on YouTube) Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kioysaki, and then come back once you have some ideas cooking in your head about how you can make money work for you instead of banging your head against a wall. 

Also: values are worth living for constantly because when a man's actions coincide with his values, he is happier and when he's happier he's more productive and gets more enjoyment out of things, thus creating a positive feedback loop.

5 hours ago, FutureBankRobber said:

Yeah, I really think you have a point. I'll just buy the program this month and see if I can discover a new path for myself.

Good for you, man.

If you decide to drop a line in the future, I'll be reading that.

22 hours ago, FutureBankRobber said:

How do you find strength to keep your head held high and live your values even when they're counter productive to your life?

I find that any emotional experience is far easier to go through if I try to connect with it. Either through journaling, therapy, self-talk, or some other kind of act (creative writing helps me too).

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstance, it is quite tough.

Consider where you would be if you didn't take the job. Would you be doing a job you hate? Well, your happiness is always primary. If a person is doing a job they hate it means they really deep down don't want to/shouldn't be there. Keep that in mind. However, you might have other opportunities. Maybe you can take the job for the time being and find out what you really want to do for the long-term? Do what you feel  like doing and keep thinking about your situation and then change if you feel  like changing. Your happiness and true desires are primary. Don't worry too much about your values because your emotions will reflect them. Sometimes we don't even know what we really value.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.