My Church is Racist!!!!

I go to church every Sunday more for community then anything else. They have been mentioning multiculturalism in the church and today the whole sermon was about multiculturalism. Actually that's a lie but that's what they want you to think. The focus of the sermon was how we as a people which quickly turned into white people need to help and stand up for people less fortunate which quickly turned into people of color, which quickly turned into black people or African Americans. Words like Asian, Hispanic, Indian, Native American or any other word associated with a race that was not black was not mentioned once in today's sermon. The sermon quickly turned into a lecture on how white people should give more to black people and how white people should never assume anything negative of black people.  Of course they mentioned we need to stand up for injustices and the vague example they used was "when white cops kill black kids for not just reasons."The word "Caucasian" was not used at all while black people were referred to as Blacks, African Americans, and people of color. The pastor invited two black pastors from other churches to make suggestions on what white people should be doing differently to make black people feel more accepted in the community. 

I spoke to a church elder and asked why didn't we mention other races like Asians, Hispanics, or Indians, and the church elder said they "they participate in false religions and can not be saved." To me the whole thing came off as very racist in favor of the black community, not caring about other races and I feel liberalism is now really hitting the churches hard. I also felt like I was the only person who had a problem with this crap because no one else seemed to speak up. It seems like I am always being fed this bullshit about racism with the focus being on black people. If this movement is doing anything to me its making me dislike the black community as whole and give greater respect to other races that are not forcing me to respect them. 

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this or if it appears that I am venting. This is a huge frustration of mine as I don't have many friends that can see past liberal propaganda. 

The pastor that dared to say they "participate in false religions"... was he a Protestant by any chance? Most Hispanics are Roman Catholics. Most Asian converts re also Catholics. Either way I strongly suggest you push back in public during the sermons because that's what the Church is for: debating and arguing. "Speak the truth; shame the Devil" should be inscribed on your belt the next time you go to that sinning church.

As a black person, I find what you went through was very demeaning. Besides, I want to be respected for my own merits; I don't want to demand respect from anyone or be pandered to. What they preached is insulting to people of all races. I once got some flak from SJWs who took umbrage to the fact that I want to be treated as an individual, not as a component of a "victim" group. You should find another church that's not focused on this ridiculous and offensive ideology. 

Hi @leahcim1985

3 hours ago, leahcim1985 said:

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this or if it appears that I am venting. This is a huge frustration of mine as I don't have many friends that can see past liberal propaganda. 

Oh, dear! No, don't worry about it the slightest. I mean, I don't think you were unjustly venting or that your frustration is founded upon a false narrative. The way I see it, you are more 'woke' than to just 'fall in line, join the propaganda'. Silly, isn't the best word but since I know very little, I don't want to rule out that it's only a temporary confusion... I hope it is, at least. It could be very well the consequent step in a form of a 'fall', but I can't ascertain that, as of yet.

I would feel anxious too, even mocked to the point of wanting to find out more about the 'unexpected change of heart'. To put it again, mildly. (Worst case scenarios should be proven first, not expected immediately imo. The investment is too high for 'hot-headedness,' right?! Baby with the bathwater and all... )

A few ideas that might be useful:

° It's morally positive to not interfere with people's choices, yet show disagreement IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE AND TIME. Keeping your wits about you is of essence. 'Check in !!!'  (Mike Cernovich - Gorilla mindset)

I'm paraphrasing:

'Truth is a sword that shouldn't be drawn at any cost.'

... in other words, you should choose well, when to say WHAT, TO WHOM, FOR WHAT REASON.

° You are just one person from the few who'd noticed the 'direction of the wind changing,' I gua-ran-tee you that... Or I'm wrong because the size of the group/congregation is too small statistically. (e.g. less than 30, hand-picked, intrinsically zealot-like individuals... very unlikely.)

° Some people have felt it, though not yet have been able to formulate it in words. It's there, a splinter embedded now. Patience... you'll get those roses.

° You haven't noticed the signs, the brief and fleeting looks of desperation for sanity, rationality... Or just abrupt bewilderment, quickly dialed down as the person realised it'd invite unwanted attention. Could be, you hadn't been looking prior to it, right?!

° Austerity is strong in your community, bet you it wasn't the first time people who contemplated deviance chose against it (different types have different capacity for BS, some twigs snap under stronger stress... ).

° There's a few dozen actions you and others could take, many of which consists of mainly figuring out what the heck is going on. Identifying who, why, what, to what extent... curiosity.

° People make mistakes, good people try to fix them. Simply seeing what they choose to do with what they have done, tells you more than if you'd asked them directly. Again, you don't need to act as/be the focal point to see if you should be... wisdom.

Hope that helps, stay curious... is my summary of my two cents.

Barnsley

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear about your church. I'm having a similar issue with my church, though maybe not as intense as racism. It's heartbreaking for me at times. 

I also attend for social interaction, getting to know others in the community and a weekly attention to something larger than myself and out of my control. I chose the church of my childhood. Only now they are moving farther and farther left and that is disappointing. Looks like they intend to actually change Our Father to something else more generic. That might actually end it for me, but for now I'm hanging in there. No changes have been made as yet. 

I was so frustrated I did a podcast in haste after a sermon on gun control. I was really pissed about the politics. 

We have an interim minister while awaiting a new one (previous one had to step down due to cancer). He is a university professor. Sermons always include something like gun control, climate and, this past week, transgender. These are all political issues IMO and have no place in a sermon that is about personal relationship with God/Jesus and so on. Why bring politics into it at all? It's like they are telling me I am a sinner because I believe climate change is actually climate hysteria, gun control is the beginning of fascism and transgenderism is a mental illness. I have enough sins without that. Don't know what any of that has to do with my relationship with God.

It's frustrating to see the church go downhill this way but I'm hanging in there as there is nothing I can do about the sermon and the rest of the service is everything I could ask for. Again, so sorry for your experience. They are stealing the sanctuaries of our hearts. 

13 hours ago, villagewisdom said:

So sorry to hear about your church. I'm having a similar issue with my church, though maybe not as intense as racism. It's heartbreaking for me at times. 

I also attend for social interaction, getting to know others in the community and a weekly attention to something larger than myself and out of my control. I chose the church of my childhood. Only now they are moving farther and farther left and that is disappointing. Looks like they intend to actually change Our Father to something else more generic. That might actually end it for me, but for now I'm hanging in there. No changes have been made as yet. 

I was so frustrated I did a podcast in haste after a sermon on gun control. I was really pissed about the politics. 

We have an interim minister while awaiting a new one (previous one had to step down due to cancer). He is a university professor. Sermons always include something like gun control, climate and, this past week, transgender. These are all political issues IMO and have no place in a sermon that is about personal relationship with God/Jesus and so on. Why bring politics into it at all? It's like they are telling me I am a sinner because I believe climate change is actually climate hysteria, gun control is the beginning of fascism and transgenderism is a mental illness. I have enough sins without that. Don't know what any of that has to do with my relationship with God.

It's frustrating to see the church go downhill this way but I'm hanging in there as there is nothing I can do about the sermon and the rest of the service is everything I could ask for. Again, so sorry for your experience. They are stealing the sanctuaries of our hearts. 

I ought to mention, though before I do I ought to also mention I am ignorant as to what is proper discourse on the part of clergymen, but the point is...

...I think priests talking about politics is actually a good thing. I don't think they should just hand out the answers (they're supposed to teach you how to find them, right?) but it makes sense to me that they speak about politics because that's where moral principles are applied rather than kept in theory.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a-political priesthood was only a thing since Lyndon B. Johnson's persecution of priests amendment (i forget the proper name: basically if a priest speaks about current events they can lose their tax-free status. I think President Trump actually abolished it early in his term, so that's a good thing!) and priests talking political (even when it's a stance we vehemently disagree with) is actually a return to form and, what I'd call truly, progressive. 

I think you ought to challenge your Leftist church speakers; as a Christian you are obligated to speak the truth to shame the Devil, and I can't think of a better and more powerfully regular time than Church congregations. Churches were the historical sanctuary of debates, after all. It wasn't like everybody kept hush-hush on Sundays; you couldn't go a week without a Hussite debating a mainstream Catholic back centuries ago! Or Martin Luther, as he became a thing, with other Catholic priests. 

To be clear I am about as far away from the Left as a man can be, but I am actually glad the clergymen are speaking politically because that's where they can do the most good (and harm when they're wrong) and it can be just the final kick in the shin to wake up the sleepy boomers, millennials, and the people in between with their heads in the sand!

Of course that's just half of it; the other half is YOU and anybody else who disagrees speaking up. God did not give man a voice so that he may be silent, after all.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, villagewisdom said:

Christianity itself was always political. Don't worry, Jesus has some pretty clear stances in many political issues. Gun control being a great one: he's against it. When he was to be arrested, he told the disciples ahead of time to make sure they had weapons to help fulfill the prophecy. He had no problem when two revealed they were carrying weapons the whole time (give his MO, if they were only to carry weapons to fulfill the prophecy, but he was actually against weapons, he would've taken the time to ensure they learned that one last lesson). That's just one example. Homosexuality/bisexuality is a bit more grey, but we could probably deduce that transgenderism is pretty unpopular with him.

I don't get this whole idea I'm seeing here that the clergy is supposed to be political. Politics concerns my relationship to "Caesar" not God. Religion focuses me on my personal relationship with God and specifically away from "Caesar". The clergy are guiding their flocks in the ways of God not "Caesar". How we apply the ways of God in Caesar's world should not be dictated, else no free will. The Commandments are the only guide and all relate to personal choices when interacting with others, including politicians -- but not politics as such. IMO of course.

While God might be introduced as a guiding principle in politics, politics would never be a guiding principle in the word of God. "God before country" as they say. 

28 minutes ago, villagewisdom said:

I don't get this whole idea I'm seeing here that the clergy is supposed to be political. Politics concerns my relationship to "Caesar" not God. Religion focuses me on my personal relationship with God and specifically away from "Caesar". The clergy are guiding their flocks in the ways of God not "Caesar". How we apply the ways of God in Caesar's world should not be dictated, else no free will. The Commandments are the only guide and all relate to personal choices when interacting with others, including politicians -- but not politics as such. IMO of course.

While God might be introduced as a guiding principle in politics, politics would never be a guiding principle in the word of God. "God before country" as they say. 

What do you mean? If God is before the fatherland then it is important that this is remembered in politics. Practically speaking the clergy ought to be very concerned about state affairs because... well, wouldn't it be cruel if a doctor turned away at the sight of witch doctors performing savage acts in the name of healing? Likewise the clergy is supposed to be the moral compass of the fatherland. Without the clergy, what separates politics from mere advantage-seeking? Man needs God, so the State, which is composed of mortals, needs God too. Since the clergy is supposed to learn and understand God's will and teach it to people, it makes logical sense they could be politically active as well.

It's only been since LBJ that the clergy has been silenced in America. You can't go a week without a church saying something in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, or any other non-atheist Western country.

If "Caesar" is divorced from God, then what stops "Caesar" from being wantonly evil? That's not even a hypothetical question. Just compare Christian Kingdoms and Empires to modern secularist states in terms of death counts, corruption, and extent of depravity and it becomes quite clear that when Christians divorce morality from politics, that politics becomes amoral. And you can't have morality in politics while simultaneously having clergymen bury their heads in the sand like God-forsaken Boomers. Otherwise you just have modern-day sophistry with only throw-away references to God and Christ. There was nothing holy about the National Day of Prayer in the White House; there was no objective morality, rather a mere "what floats your boat is fine with me" subjective amorality.

Edited by Siegfried von Walheim

On 5/4/2018 at 3:37 PM, Siegfried von Walheim said:

the clergy is supposed to be the moral compass of the fatherland

Says who? The clergy is the moral compass for individuals. "The fatherland" is a mental construct. 

Since the clergy is supposed to learn and understand God's will and teach it to people, it makes logical sense they could be politically active as well.

I don't see any logic in "could". They can certainly be politically active as an individual, but not as clergy. 

If "Caesar" is divorced from God, then what stops "Caesar" from being wantonly evil?

Personal responsibility. The clergy would do their job to the best of their ability and preach enough about morality that "Caesar" learned to live as Godly and evil-free a life as possible. That is the entire point I'm making. 

Here is an example: Your math teacher instructs you in the principles of mathematics. You practice the principles and understand how it all works. Then, you take those principles / experiences and apply them to a career in the finance industry or architecture. Your math teacher does not instruct you in finance or architecture.

Now, let's say you are an architect and run into a problem you can't solve for in designing a particular structure, so you seek the advice of your old math professor. You math prof would never tell you the answer, only add his greater understanding of the principles at work. The math professor knows his subject much better than you and can give you creative ideas about how you might think about the problem differently. The application of the principles is your responsibility. The math prof is not going to tell you how the design should or should not be done, only about the math that potentially creates the design.

Gun control, a political agenda. Is it moral or immoral? Clergy: the commandments say nothing about the morality of gun control, only that it is immoral to kill another. If the clergy focused more on morality and less on politics, their message of "thou shalt not kill" might be more effective. The same goes for the Christian learning about God. If they focus more on personal responsibility and less on controlling the actions of others, the whole world would be served. 

None of the commandments says anything about "thou shalt tell others how to live" or "thou shalt determine whether your neighbor is living by the commandments and what should be done if they don't meet your expectations." In fact, there is that bit about getting the plank out of your own eye. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.