Mold + Engineering = Better Network Distribution

barn

Hi thinkers and alike,

Could we use fungal growth to further improve networks?

"Biological networks have been honed by many cycles of evolutionary selection pressure and are likely to yield reasonable solutions to such combinatorial optimization problems."

Engineers thought, involving Tokyo's Railway Network could be an interesting experiment :

slime_mold_1-660x501.jpg

Find the source, here

It's titled: 'Rules for Biologically Inspired Adaptive Network Design'

Good mind expanding,

Barnsley

• 2 months later...

I’m not sure it can. Fungi operate under a different set of motivations, but look the same due to a fractal convergence. There are common ratios in nature, like the golden ratio, Fibonacci sequence, silver ratio, etc.

People might have chosen to live in certain locations due to the topology, upthrusting ground combined with erosion creating the fractal, not so sort of natural fit.

2 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

I’m not sure it can. Fungi operate under a different set of motivations, but look the same due to a fractal convergence. There are common ratios in nature, like the golden ratio, Fibonacci sequence, silver ratio, etc.

People might have chosen to live in certain locations due to the topology, upthrusting ground combined with erosion creating the fractal, not so sort of natural fit.

Those are interesting thoughts, ideas.

Sorry, you don't always respond to my replies, or takes ages for you (not an argument) but I rather skip you for now.

Thanks for the interest, those are really interesting ideas,

Barnsley

E:dit - Thanks for the honest vote

Edited by barn
E:dit
  • Downvote 1

All good @Jsbrads

No worries. (thnks for chiming back, looks like an honest one too, thumbs up)

That's my preference earlier on, so that we're clear n'stuff... like I said, I nevertheless found those specific ideas interesting.

Maybe later, some other time.

Have a good one!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.