Problems with inrospection while doing Self-Authorship

Right now I am trying to go through Jordan Peterson's Self-Authorship, but I stumble on this:

You can tell how well you have managed this by remembering different important events from the past. If you recall memories that make you feel ashamed, or guilty, or angry, or hurt, and these memories are more than a year and a half old, then your mind is not at peace, and you are still carrying the weight of your past.

Generally, I am rather anxious and a bit neurotic(recently got jump scared by the supermarket's swing gate when it unexpectedly touched me...). But when I am doing introspection I am a blank page. So, for example, I have to choose the events that affected me in self-authoring and I am not sure what to pick half of the time...  I noticed that before I was eager to talk about my issues but now I went to a lot of psychologists that were unhelpful... I am just tired of rewriting retelling my story all over again...

Hi @Copper_Heart

(the other thread - It happens to the best of us, good on you for chiming back about it!)

As of the op here, may I put forward a few ideas (they might not/be useful) :

° When we are clear on what to choose, it's because there's a strong(er) connection with our true-self. (As in: we aren't rationalising/fogging but instead are open to various possibilities and acknowledge when something has a greater than others charge in it)

° Could the 'unsuccessful' visits made a part of you feel pissed(not getting what you thought you deserved) and/ saddened(feeling let down) ? I put unsuccessful in quotation because it is helpful still, if you could narrow down the pattern that was happening there (i.e. - What was common in those visits for you?)

On 05/06/2018 at 5:30 PM, Copper_Heart said:

I am just tired of rewriting retelling my story all over again... 

Oh, absolutely. I perfectly know what you mean, yet it's not too accurate in my humble humble humble opinion to keep it at that, there's mooore to it.(..me thinks.)

Doing self-authoring is different. You are working with the best, the most involved, the most knowledgeable group ever (MEco system). You, with your team have the highest chance of understanding what went down(and I'm convinced if you keep at it with the right frame of mind, you WILL make MORE progress. Think of it as incremental and stacked, gradual until the moment, when !BAM! - it suddenly makes sense to you) Allowing for information to come forth and being thankful for it in a humble and constructive manner generates more, enabling a healthy interaction.

(things that can stifle this process: being judgemental unfairly, unexamined convictions staying that -> unexamined, forceful questioning instead of reasoned curiosity, name-calling in inner talk, lack of self-empathy...)

° Have you tried writing with the other hand than you normally would use? (brain hemispheres and limbs are cross-wired, taking the pen into the other hand when writing stimulates the other hemisphere more and can resolve 'writer's block'. Don't worry about how horrendous it'll look, that's unimportant. Do it for a couple of minutes at least, just write to a question you've outlined at the top of the page, let it flow, just write.)

° If you asked your friends who really cared about you, what would they say? What's the difference between their and your own perspective?

° What comes up the most frequently for you in your inner-chatters? Are they all frequently negative/positive/open ended?

Hope these ideas benefit you, they aren't really questions to be answered here, rather, they should be for your meditating over them...unless you feel like responding/expanding on some, here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, Copper_Heart said:

Right now I am trying to go through Jordan Peterson's Self-Authorship, but I stumble on this:

Generally, I am rather anxious and a bit neurotic(recently got jump scared by the supermarket's swing gate when it unexpectedly touched me...). But when I am doing introspection I am a blank page. So, for example, I have to choose the events that affected me in self-authoring and I am not sure what to pick half of the time...  I noticed that before I was eager to talk about my issues but now I went to a lot of psychologists that were unhelpful... I am just tired of rewriting retelling my story all over again...

what is your actual experience of being 'a blank page'?  is your mind silent and empty?  spinning in circles that lead you to nothing useful?  what actually happens and what type of response do you normally have toward yourself once this blank page experience does happen?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.