Sentence Completion App

lorry

Hey lads,

The plan is to create a sentence completion app in the vein of N. Brandon.

It is going to be built with React Native and Redux.

It shouldn't be complex enough to warrant contributing to, but if you know your stuff and fancy throwing up a comment please do.

I've scheduled myself to start working on this as at 28/5 and I'll update this thread as something of an accountability log.

If you want app to exist and you can not program, please do ask how to process is progressing in this thread after the scheduled start date (see above).

The repositoryhttps://github.com/LorryProgramming/Sentence-Completion

1 hour ago, lorry said:

The plan is to create a sentence completion app in the vein of N. Brandon.

It is going to be built with React Native and Redux. 

Awesome. 'Shure'

1 hour ago, lorry said:

If you want app to exist and you can not program, please do ask how to process is progressing in this thread after the scheduled start date (see above).

Ok, I'll ask "how to process is progressing" (*the)

You've mentioned in a different thread you were 'looking for' 'visuals' to serve as 'possible starting points' for the projects appearance. Can you elaborate what would be preferable, or 'free-for-all'?

Additionally, anything else you need help with but isn't within programming... keep mentioning them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, barn said:

Awesome. 'Shure'

Ok, I'll ask "how to process is progressing" (*the)

You've mentioned in a different thread you were 'looking for' 'visuals' to serve as 'possible starting points' for the projects appearance. Can you elaborate what would be preferable, or 'free-for-all'?

Additionally, anything else you need help with but isn't within programming... keep mentioning them.

No thought of progress until the 28th onwards.

One way to think about it is like this...

An app has state and an app has UI. State is the information. In an app like this, the sentence stems are state, and then someone enters in the completion of a stem, that then is saved to state. UI is the visual side, given some state, how does it look? How is the stem displayed to the user? etc.

The state for an app like this is not complicated, it is just going to be the stems, the completion of the stems, and some derived properties (like how many stems are complete or how many weeks worth of stems are complete, etc).

The visuals, how it is displayed, is (for me) complicated (because I'm not a visual designer). If it was a web app, I would just some visuals that someone else made, like bootstap or material-ui or something (google them). 

React native has said libaries, https://github.com/xotahal/react-native-material-ui, so I'll probably use them for version 2 (version 1 is not visuals). But if people actually use it, then I'd want nice visuals, which then introduces a design problem to solve, which, I don't realllly want to solve. So I'll look about for a nice looking app and steal their design (because coding the visuals is mechanistic, but deciding on the visuals is a profession in and of itself).

tldr, I'm not a visual designer.

Think about the previous post.

user: lorry

msg: my msg in response, links to your msg.

that is the state.

How it is aranged on the page? avartar top left with username about in X font of Y size, msg to the right etc.. etc.. etc.. That is the UI, the visuals.

Hi @lorry

Maybe your work schedule was too packed but I'd have appreciated a bit quicker response. Sorry, I had to mention.

It's a bit dense for me, but I'm sure I can come up with a few different approaches, 'skeleton' ideas... even if for mostly discarding, I'll take what you've provided. Thanks for the second post, it made the description clearer (for me).

Keep in touch,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.