The curious case of 'making you think whatever'!

barn

Hi thinkers and alike,

I wanted to raise awareness of a very important tool that's been around for a long time and is still going strong, especially in areas where perception is key.

° A synonym for it, is the 'Boiling frog' phenomenon

° The major steps can be outlined as:

1.   Define the target behaviour you are aiming at
2.    Decide if shaping is really essential
3.    Identify the starting user behaviour
4.    Choose the increment you want. Each step takes you closer from starting behaviour to the target behaviour

° An example (though not fully referenced, archived) could be when eBay changed its colour-scheme so gradually that those who had complained when it was first tried (at 'normal' speed) didn't notice it after, during the transition. Annnd... voila, circumvented!

Where else has the same principle been used/is being used/will be used?

° Is this how governments and corruption expands? (also: am I repeating myself here?)

° Who keeps an eye on such things? (Is there no other way than only hindsight?)

° What's the major difference between this occurring 'organically' and when it's planned?

Barnsley

28649005b4bce7bbb0d13f208600044b--fonts-

• 2 weeks later...

An analogy would be:

Your physical postbox. It receives bills, letters, promotional material, official communique... etc.

Each day when you open its lid, grab the bunch and sift through it, a part of it, will straight land in the bin(or recycled) unopened, unread, its contents immediately rejected. Those that are directly addressed to you and seem 'legit' will get a 'second chance' and only discarded when confirmed they too were some form of a strategy to use up your attention. Most often than not, its a quick process as you know what bank you're with, if your mortgage is in check, whether you want to join a religious group or send a goat to a remote part of the world...

One day, you open up your postbox and find that there's now much more papers 'appearing' they've been directly addressed to you and seemingly contain useful information/things. As in, while sifting through, you notice someone or something is changing the way the papers/envelopes looked like and many more now resembles each other, it's becoming much harder to differentiate between whether you asked for it or it's being ceverly inserted in, making it seem like you asked for it the first place.

The transition is so subtle, that you only 'connect the dots' allowing you to see something troubling was occurring, when a neighbour of yours opens its postbox besides you one day. A confused look on his face, he asks:

(Neighbour) - Sorry, I was just standing beside you and couldn't help but notice... Why does everything in your postbox come with the same logo? Do you have a service to organise your inbox for you, your subscriptions?

(You) - What do you mean?

(Neighbour) - They all look the same. You should be able to recognise what you have subscribed to and the ones coming from market strategists. Shouldn't you?!

(You) - I thought that they were all my reques... Nooo, wait... Now, that I can compare yours to mine, your postbox is filled with different sized, coloured, type... I think something 'funny' has been happening to my postbox I haven't noticed. How did I miss it? What else haven't I...

28649005b4bce7bbb0d13f208600044b--fonts-

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.