Studing

QwertyDavid

Next year I'll have to pick something to study. I live in the Netherlands, most of the fees are paid for me by the government, so while I'm not an advocate of this role of the government, if I'm going to pay taxes I might as well make use of the benefits. I have an interest in almost everything(lol). Biology and economics being the main ones. 

3 options:

Bachelor Biology-> neruology/genetics/evolution and self-study economics and law next to that

Double Bachelor economics and law, self-study the biology things (neurology/genetics/evolution)

Do a Liberal and Arts study, in which I can combine both subjects in 1 study (double major)

I'll also do things on politics, but I'm not going to do that in school, too much left wing ideology here.

What would you all recommend?

Good question!

The most telling (to me) is when someone does something, even if it isn't funded by 'easy-looking cash', coerced money taken from future generations. (Are you sure you aren't justifying it, only?)

Remember, if you do choose to sign up, you'll also have to accept what the state requires of you in return. You'll have to earn your 'state-brownie-points' for your degree. There's nothing for free in this world, all the tax you'll ever pay doesn't even begin to come near to the opportunity cost you'll be trading in for it. (while you spend your time in academia, others earn experience/toughen up and get several times better in the real world, outside the bubble of 'regulated-think')

Maybe I'm wrong but it does sound, you're looking for an easy path forward, a pre-paid, secure academic 'taxi-ride' to the future. Which in my humble opinion doesn't exist but you have to create it yourself. (I'm not blaming or anything)

On a second note, having a wide range of interests is more trouble than a blessing. To me it speaks of indecision, lack of self-knowledge. I'd work on that. (if I am correct) While aiming at a skill that's going to be transferable and allows for adaptation should your circumstances change; got to know yourself better.

Finally, automatisation is rapidly catching up, scroogle just boasted how it can mimic a real person conversing MEANINGFULLY, INDISTINGUISHABLY. Can't tell where it'll be in 5 yrs but I guess it'll only get more intrusive and favoured by governments.

Don't study something you want. Think about what you want to do and then decide if you should study at all, and if so, what for.

I have two degrees. Finance and Marketing. Neither was really necessary in any way for me. I would have been better auditing maybe 3 classes and spending the rest on investing.

If you end up wanting to be a biologist, you are wasting your time getting a degree in economics. Time > Money. Just because its free doesn't mean you should do it.

If you can learn it on the internet, It will be better as the internet is home to the beautiful free market. Meaning the material will have more competition and be better. In fact, lots of colleges publish their lectures free online. Including top universities like Harvard, Standford, Yale etc

I would only get a degree if it's required by law to work, like being a CPA, doctor, lawyer etc

The way I learned economics is I started a business, I also now studied economist like Mises, Friedman, Rothbard. With biology, I just read biology books and reviewed the scientific journals. Tho schooling may have access to expensive equipment which would be helpful and should provide a deeper understanding. 

You also got to be wary that some people who graduated with an economics degree ended up Keynesian. Some biologist pushes the race/gender as a social construct. Meaning they ended up worse going to college. 

Anyways, I am not sure how jobs/schooling works in the Netherlands. But, I would recommend you begin with the end in mind

Above all study something you'd enjoy, and can hold your interest. Unless you need the degree for something particular like medicine. Remember you've got 3 years plus studying it.

With your interests spread all over the place, how conscientious are you? If you're doing something that requires high attention to detail & broad knowledge, I'd imagine doing Economics, Law, Biology, Neuroscience, maybe a bad idea. Why not do a professional certification instead?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 11:20 PM, QwertyDavid said:

Next year I'll have to pick something to study. I live in the Netherlands, most of the fees are paid for me by the government, so while I'm not an advocate of this role of the government, if I'm going to pay taxes I might as well make use of the benefits. I have an interest in almost everything(lol). Biology and economics being the main ones. 

3 options:

Bachelor Biology-> neruology/genetics/evolution and self-study economics and law next to that

Double Bachelor economics and law, self-study the biology things (neurology/genetics/evolution)

Do a Liberal and Arts study, in which I can combine both subjects in 1 study (double major)

I'll also do things on politics, but I'm not going to do that in school, too much left wing ideology here.

What would you all recommend?

As for me, you definitely should choose Double Bachelor economics and law, self-study the biology things (neurology/genetics/evolution)! If you have doubts, read some essays about these thrusts of the learning program, ask students how is already study it or ask professionals for help.  I've found an article on wiki about Liberal and Arts study, what's written here is true, so, it's really good choice. This is a wiki article  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education and this website also should be useful. I live and study in Canada... and I've never been to the Netherlands but I have a friend, who is studying Media and Communication at the University of Groningen. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.