Working 12 hrs a day... need help

Bushrat

Hello all,

I hate to do this, but I have no pride left. My career is in mineral exploration, and I am good at what I do. Since about 4 years ago my industry has collapsed and I've had to renew myself in another career. I opened an Army Surplus store in Kelowna BC Canada. Its a tough slog, but its getting better all the time. My store in not profitable yet, and so I work 4hrs per day as a security guard starting at 6am then I go open my store at 10am to 6pm. I do this 5 days a week and then i work the store Saturday 10-6 and work 11pm Saturday to 7am Sunday doing more security work. I am closed on Sunday, so that's my day off. I had a several partially detached retinas last year and they were repaired with laser surgery, but one complication resulted in me getting cataracts in one eye. so... I need surgery.... BC medical (socialized medicine) covers one eye and has a 6 month plus wait time.  I will also have to have my other eye repaired with PRK laser at the same time to get normal vision again which is not covered by the government. Even with all my jobs and working I am not able to afford this surgery. It will cost $2850 CDN. I am attaching a link to my gofundme page so if anyone wants to help they can.. If you don't want to or can't its all good. Best wishes to all and thanks for reading this.

https://www.gofundme.com/eye-surgery-to-fix-cataracts

Best Regards,

Brian

9 minutes ago, Bushrat said:

Hello all,

I hate to do this, but I have no pride left. My career is in mineral exploration, and I am good at what I do. Since about 4 years ago my industry has collapsed and I've had to renew myself in another career. I opened an Army Surplus store in Kelowna BC Canada. Its a tough slog, but its getting better all the time. My store in not profitable yet, and so I work 4hrs per day as a security guard starting at 6am then I go open my store at 10am to 6pm. I do this 5 days a week and then i work the store Saturday 10-6 and work 11pm Saturday to 7am Sunday doing more security work. I am closed on Sunday, so that's my day off. I had a several partially detached retinas last year and they were repaired with laser surgery, but one complication resulted in me getting cataracts in one eye. so... I need surgery.... BC medical (socialized medicine) covers one eye and has a 6 month plus wait time.  I will also have to have my other eye repaired with PRK laser at the same time to get normal vision again which is not covered by the government. Even with all my jobs and working I am not able to afford this surgery. It will cost $2850 CDN. I am attaching a link to my gofundme page so if anyone wants to help they can.. If you don't want to or can't its all good. Best wishes to all and thanks for reading this.

https://www.gofundme.com/eye-surgery-to-fix-cataracts

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi @Bushrat

That's a tough situation, I'm very sorry... (words, I know...)

Can't be of economic help, though there are many who might and sincerely hope they'll.

If it isn't a bothersome question, how does mineral exploration causes (as of an occupational hazard) Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment or is it another type?

Barnsley

Expensive city Kelowna. I was backpacking there over 5 years a go. Stayyed with a Swiss Canadian family, helped with looking after their animals and small farm. I think they were Messianic Jews, ran a small bakery business. (apparently there's a lack of small bakers in Canada) Though they did various charity works. Lot of homeless people in Kelowna, was kind of surprised, apparantly the city buses them to Vancouver in the summer months. Like a million dollars avg home price in vancouver. Surprising how many insane laws they have in Canada, and how funny Kelowna is about alcohol requiring 2 forms of ID, when I was there, pft passport not good enough.

I asked the doctor why I was getting the retinal detachments... he said it was simply bad genetics.  My former career had nothing to do with it. I just wanted to explain how I've been struggling trying to start a new career. 

Well Bushrat, you may not have intended to share important information with me by writing this post, but you gave me critical information I need on a separate project. You helped me, I put something for you in return.

Get well soon. 

2 minutes ago, Jsbrads said:

Well Bushrat, you may not have intended to share important information with me by writing this post, but you gave me critical information I need on a separate project. You helped me, I put something for you in return.

Get well soon. 

ok... I don't know how i helped you, but thanks..  whats your project?

35 minutes ago, Bushrat said:

I asked the doctor why I was getting the retinal detachments... he said it was simply bad genetics.  My former career had nothing to do with it. I just wanted to explain how I've been struggling trying to start a new career. 

Gotcha (As in : 'understood')

Thanks.

p. s. (I would be curious to see updates from you periodically(few words) , I for one will be checking here...)

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I had the cataracts surgery done on my left eye last week. My father covered the balance that I was short of. Several friends and strangers helped with the expense and I am grateful for all who contributed. I am waiting to heal so I can get the other eye done soon. Still raising funds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.