Music with an unintended message.

J.L.W

I wondered if people have ever noted that music of some description has a message that is positive and relates to these trends. Although when I think about it Stefan sort of reflects the truth so it is not 'this work' but the ideas loosely associated with it:

Here's some of mine:

Tracy Chapman: Fast Car [Link]

I noticed how this woman in this song is saved by the free market. No skills, bad homelife but found a way to make more money by moving up a supermarket.

A part of the free market I am starting to doubt, my circle of acquaintances are... well some are from very middle class families and it seems to be education was a thing there, but perhaps these thoughts are the effect of not actually living in a free market at the moment.

If we were saying that the market we have is not free hence needs to be improved. We could also say that the education is not working properly hence needs to be improved and more emphasis on 'STEM' etc. Although perhaps it would if Universities were properly subject to free market concerns. I don't support taxation. (Although do wonder about it's use for health care!)

The Fray: How to Save a life (lyrics) [Link]

One of Stefans videos I've really enjoyed was the last one on 'My wife married her rapist'. Actually not a big deal in the main arc of the story provided, just like 'and then she married her rapist' in amongst a general story of dysfunction. But I think an important part of life and community is advising people... 'Look that girl is a nutjob' etc. or whatever it is. I recognise I am far too non interventionist in people's lives that are close to me. Very often I allow people to stumble but I am learning.

This song is about intervening with someone that is going down a bad road in relation to drugs. It is perhaps one of the only songs with that perspective. It is based on a real thing it is not 3D emotions.

Phil Ochs - Bracero [Link]

A brilliant example of how the left has no awareness of its own hypocrisy. Phil Ochs, like many good musicians leftist. But the music coming through is often more truthful than the artist. How is it that the leftists treat the immigrants coming in, that they "love" so much?

And the sun will bite your body, as the dust will draw you thristy
While your muscles beg for mercy, bracero
In the shade of your sombrero, drop your sweat upon the soil
Like the fruit your youth can spoil, bracero
Oh, Welcome to California
Where the friendly farmer will take care of you

Green Day: Wake me up, when September Ends. [Link]

An anti war song, possibly not as good as 'Universal Soldier' by Donovan. But the video also hit's a point and I think probably influenced people in a time when anti war songs are far rarer. The scene is acted well, it has impact, and it makes you think about the guy going off to war 'Mate, what are you doing?' Green Day is an unusually respected band despite appearances IMO.

Any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.